LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 + Snow Tires + Winter = ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 01:15 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

The cheapo wheels will cost more than the tires are worth, and will look, well, cheapo. Ditch the old tires and get new ones for the Lex.
Old 10-06-04, 03:28 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Put some weight in your trunk when it snows and get yourself a pair of spike-spiders for when the road becomes a skating rink. www.spike-spider.com is where I got mine.

drink300
2003 LS430 Custom Lux
Old 10-06-04, 03:51 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

This is true.. However, 16 inch winter tires will always be cheaper then 17 inch ones.. Also, I don't want to keep having to swap summer/winter off the same rim always.. So, rather then buy more expensive 17 inch rims.. The 16 should do just as well for the winter driving here.. I live in Toronto, and the roads arn't that bad here.. They are quite good about putting down salt and cleaning quickly.. So it's mainly some ice to contend with sometimes..

Originally posted by daryll40
The cheapo wheels will cost more than the tires are worth, and will look, well, cheapo. Ditch the old tires and get new ones for the Lex.
Old 10-06-04, 04:15 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yeah but how to you schlep those 4 wheels/tires to the shop for installation each time? Or do you do it yourself?
Old 10-06-04, 05:32 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by telegix
Anyone try the Michelin Arctic Alpines on the LS430 before? I have a almost new pair of 16" which came off my Cadi STS (thank goodness I got rid of that crap bucket) and now stuck with these to put on the LS430.. If these wear out, i'll put Nokian's on for sure.. However, i'll have to use these till they wear out.. They said 16" steel rim's won't go on the LS430 so i'll need to buy some cheapo 16" aluminum's to use..

So, anyone have any experence with the Arctic Alpines? They seemed to work well on my FWD Cadi..
[/QUOTE

I used 16" AA's on my old '98 GS300 here in NW Illinois the last two years with absolutely no problems. Hit at least 3 heavy snows and they did fine for what that is worth.
Old 10-06-04, 05:35 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Like you, I decided to get my money out of the Dunlops so I took the WRs off after last winter. Unfortunately BOTH the WRs and the Dunlops seem to be wearing quickly. But that is not unusual here in Pittsburgh. Anyway, I'll put the WRs back on around Thanksgiving. I'll probably leave them on as I expect the snow tread to be gone by spring, but with enuf tread for summer driving. Then maybe buy new snow tires next winter...perhaps I'll try Blizzaks this time. The WRs were great in snow, but the treadwear is not impressive. Meantime I suspect I'll get another non-winter (about 9 months) of the Dunlops at some point down the road, probably after I buy and use the next round of snow tires.
I am pretty sure I will do the same as you are. Interesting that the WR treadwear is going away so fast - given they are 4-season tires you would think they'd have a better history. Thought about doing the HQ's and may still go that route but we don't get near the snow that Upper Michigan, Wisconsin or Buffalo gets so hesitate to go with a tire that will most likely see more dry roads than snow/wet roads over the winter months.
Old 10-06-04, 06:28 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the good news.. If I find the Arctic Alpines so bad then i'll buy Nokians for the rears.. But I think they will work fine for as long as they last..

Also, for the comment above.. I do replace tires myself.. It's not effort and I know it's done properly at least.. I even do brakes, oil changes, etc on all my cars.. I do enjoy tinkering around with my cars, and think that I do a better job then the shops.. For example, when doing a brake job, I replace the rotors everytime.. Why you ask? I have a friend who gets them for me for wholesale, so the cost is laughable.. If I get them machined it would cost about the same as a new one.. And new is better then machined..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AggieLS
Originally posted by telegix
Anyone try the Michelin Arctic Alpines on the LS430 before? I have a almost new pair of 16" which came off my Cadi STS (thank goodness I got rid of that crap bucket) and now stuck with these to put on the LS430.. If these wear out, i'll put Nokian's on for sure.. However, i'll have to use these till they wear out.. They said 16" steel rim's won't go on the LS430 so i'll need to buy some cheapo 16" aluminum's to use..

So, anyone have any experence with the Arctic Alpines? They seemed to work well on my FWD Cadi..
[/QUOTE

I used 16" AA's on my old '98 GS300 here in NW Illinois the last two years with absolutely no problems. Hit at least 3 heavy snows and they did fine for what that is worth.
Old 10-06-04, 08:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

A few things:

1. Your brake story proves we are all getting ripped off. Unfortunately, I am not as mechanically inclined so I pay the piper.

2. My Nokian experience might not be typical. I have a very steep, slick blacktop driveway that I have to get up to get out. Often the tires spin. and I know it burns them up fast. Those spike-spiders recommended above look VERY promising for my situation however. That's what makes this board so great. I will definitley get a set and try them. Hopefully that will end my tire wear problem. I just want to be sure they don't rub or damage the wheels...I can't imagine they would make a product that does these days and expect to sell it.
Old 10-07-04, 05:26 AM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

1. Yeah, it seems on any car the dealer milks you for doing brake jobs... The parts are dirt cheap, and the replacement procedure is so simple, I don't understand why they charge so much...

2. I agree, that would definitely be very helpful.. I can see how these are vastly superior to tire chains.

A few things:

1. Your brake story proves we are all getting ripped off. Unfortunately, I am not as mechanically inclined so I pay the piper.

2. My Nokian experience might not be typical. I have a very steep, slick blacktop driveway that I have to get up to get out. Often the tires spin. and I know it burns them up fast. Those spike-spiders recommended above look VERY promising for my situation however. That's what makes this board so great. I will definitley get a set and try them. Hopefully that will end my tire wear problem. I just want to be sure they don't rub or damage the wheels...I can't imagine they would make a product that does these days and expect to sell it.
Old 10-07-04, 05:56 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Out here in western IL the roads are pretty flat so most of my driving is level and local except going to Quad Cities or Chicago O-Hare for business travel. Putting about 1,000 per month at max on the LS so heavy wear is not an issue. Haven't made a final decision and will continue to think about options over next month or so.

Last edited by AggieLS; 10-07-04 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-12-04, 06:52 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I ordered some SPIKE-SPIDERSs today as recommended on this board. I am hopeful that they will solve my "garage at the bottom of a steep driveway in icy-snowy Pittsburgh" problem.
Old 10-13-04, 12:37 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Cool

I think you will do well with the spiders. I've had pretty good results. I ski and have had to use them more than a few times.

The only downside to them is that there is a small black hub that latches on to your wheel lugnuts. This is what the "spider" attaches to. But because of that small black thing, it only takes about 30 seconds to put the things on and take *** off. A heckuva lot easier than chains and they grip like crazy.

FYI...Still keep a bit of weight in the trunk....I have best results with some weight back there.

Good luck!

drink300
2003 LS430 Parch/Ecru Custom Lux
Old 10-13-04, 04:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Any chance of scratching?
Old 10-13-04, 12:13 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

daryll40,

No, I was worried about that too, since I have the nice chrome rims on my LS430. These things stick out and away from the actual wheel. I haven't used them since last season, but if I remeber right, there is a retainer clip that kind of "grips on" to your lugnuts. It goes around the sides of the lugnut, which keeps them from scratching. Then, there are "standouts" that screw into the retainer clips and extend for about 2". This is what you attach the black "spike-hub". So, the hub itself sits 1-2" away from the wheel, preventing scratches.

You don't have to remove the lugnuts to do any of this which is why they are pretty cool, IMHO.

drink300
2003 LS430 Parch/Ecru Custom Lux
Old 10-13-04, 12:21 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Glad to hear it. Mine are in transit. Hopefully I won't need them for a while, although winter IS on the way. I just had hernia surgery so I want to be sure they are easy to install.

Quick Reply: LS430 + Snow Tires + Winter = ?