LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Did I find a 213K mile cream puff? High mile LS OK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 10:14 PM
natesi
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did I find a 213K mile cream puff? High mile LS OK?

Howdy all,

Thanks for sticking with me on my car search, everyone -- it’s rough out there. I found another one I’m pretty excited about.

Is there such a thing as a high mileage cream-puff? This thing has 213K and looks to be fully dealer maintained. I was looking at another car, 1 year older, SAME PRICE, with 70K less miles but it was disgusting, with an unknown service history. Whereas this thing looks practically brand new and has a lot of regular maintenance. Updated link - https://www.ezdealsauto.com/details/...s-430/92546910

What I like about the documented service history is I know what’s been done and what hasn’t. So I won’t spend time and money repeating services that have been recently done. And I wouldn’t have to spend a month cleaning this car, either. LOL.

Would you shy away from a high mileage car? I’m guessing they are going to be pretty firm on the price given the overall condition and service history.

I know the 3UZ is legendary, but what about the transmission at this mileage?

Based on the Lexus.com records, I’m pretty sure the telescoping wheel is broke – not the end of the world as long as I can force it out, manually (was able to do that with another LS 430).
Other highlights:
  • Lots of oil changes between 6 and 8K ish mile interval – some in the 9K mile interval – Is that concerning or can the 3UZ FE take extended intervals?
    • Last timing belt done around 180K, with thermostat – cool (no pun intended).
      • The FIRST transmission fluid flush was at 197K though – is this concerning?
        • Lots of differential and power steering fluid changes.

Shockingly absent from the service history are some common failure points:
  • No mention of suspension work, control arms, or bushings – with the exception of the sway bar bushings. How is this possible?
    • No LED brake light housing failure.
      • No valve cover gasket leaks or replacement mentioned. What??
        • No engine or transmission mounts recommended or replaced.
          • No trunk strut failure or replacement mentioned. Not that’s it’s a bid deal. But I thought these things always failed.
            • No shock or strut leak or replacement recommended.
              • No mention of spark plugs being replaced or recommended – but maybe that’s one of the scheduled maintenance interval items and it isn’t explicitly stated in the description of the service? How could they be on the original plugs?
                • Amplifier not replaced, but I think that’s only an issue with the Mark Levinson, right?
                  • Still on original catalytic converters.
                    • No mirror failure or replacement.

What do you think of these common failure points never having been addressed? On one hand that sounds good, right? On the other hand, since they haven’t happened yet I’m guessing they are “over due" and will happen much sooner, for the next owner, rather than later.

Thanks for the input, all!

Last edited by natesi; 06-15-23 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 10:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,834 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Did you buy it? Listing is gone.
Old 06-14-23, 10:33 PM
natesi
Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Did you buy it? Listing is gone.
Hopefully it's not gone. They are about 3 hours from me, so I was planning to go up there this weekend. Getting through Seattle and back is an absolute nightmare on a weekday.

They had multiple ads. Here's another one: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...632686069.html

If that doesn't work, here it is on their site: https://www.ezdealsauto.com/details/...s-430/92546910
Old 06-14-23, 11:48 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe its sold already but it looks to be in really good condition for the miles, look at the seats, no plastic fading damaged wooded etc. If its the right spec, just go for it. I doubt every single thing you listed will be documented. If it was I bet it would be sold already.

These are fix when they break items or doesn't affect the drive ability.

Shockingly absent from the service history are some common failure points:
No mention of suspension work, control arms, or bushings – with the exception of the sway bar bushings. How is this possible? No air suspension, Car looks pretty base so nothing really to fail, except due to age, replace as needed.
No LED brake light housing failure. Case by case basis
No valve cover gasket leaks or replacement mentioned. What?? Case by case basis
No engine or transmission mounts recommended or replaced. Case by case basis
No trunk strut failure or replacement mentioned. Not that’s it’s a bid deal. But I thought these things always failed. My oem trunk struts work fine, and no one is really gonna record a $20 set of struts
No shock or strut leak or replacement recommended. Mentioned above, its a steel suspension car, so won't collapse, replace as needed.
No mention of spark plugs being replaced or recommended – but maybe that’s one of the scheduled maintenance interval items and it isn’t explicitly stated in the description of the service? How could they be on the original plugs? Most likely its been done but not recorded.
Amplifier not replaced, but I think that’s only an issue with the Mark Levinson, right? Case by case basis, your speakers are more likely to be blown than the amp, as is what happened on my 2GS, SC430 and LS
Still on original catalytic converters. Case by case basis
No mirror failure or replacement. My mirrors are fine. Case by case basis
The following users liked this post:
natesi (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 06:23 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 202 Posts

The internal components of the UZ engines and the alA650 transmissions are probably the most robust drivetrains ever made. There will be plenty of projects that will need attention like suspension bushings wearing out, power steering pumps that leak doors that stop locking and that kind of stuff, but you should be able to fix things much faster than they break. You can find videos and DIY write ups to help do most of the repairs yourself, if your so inclined.
Most cars start getting problems much faster than the owner can keep up and often they can be really expensive. If you have ever tried keeping an older BMW on the road, you’ll know what it’s like keeping up with a bad older car, but the LS430 is about the best older vehicle you could ever find.
I would say a 200k LS430 will have less problems over the next 100k miles than a new Dodge Charger
The following 2 users liked this post by dwoods801:
natesi (06-15-23), starkbark (06-16-23)
Old 06-15-23, 07:02 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

it's an LS430, but has no features. never seen an 05 without smartkey, and that is an option I would not leave off. base stereo is half as good as the upgrade and the cruise control will be very old style with no laser or radar. flint mica is the color I believe. agree it is in very good shape for the miles, but if you really want the LS flagship experience you need a higher level car.
natesi (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 07:54 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 178 Posts

I would not worry too much about the miles. If cared for, it will last.
I also would definitely either do you own pre-purchase inspection or have it done by an independent mechanic - e.g., Lemon Squad.
The price is very good if the car checks out.
I have a PNW '05 and its on the original suspension and its just fine at 140,000 miles. Bonus- cars out here do not have much if any rust.
natesi (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 08:21 AM
natesi
Driver

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
it's an LS430, but has no features. never seen an 05 without smartkey, and that is an option I would not leave off. base stereo is half as good as the upgrade and the cruise control will be very old style with no laser or radar. flint mica is the color I believe. agree it is in very good shape for the miles, but if you really want the LS flagship experience you need a higher level car.
Nice catch on the Smartkey -- I thought that was a standard feature! Yeah, I'd miss that, for sure. One of my favorite features of the LS is keyless access on all 4 doors, so guess I'd lose out on that. Bummer.

I'm really not fond of the Mark Levinson. I mean, yeah - it sounds good, of course. But I've heard others say the base system sounds pretty good as well - some even preferring it. The thing I didn't like about Mark Levinson option was having to adjust the bass and treble through the software screen as well as controlling the HVAC through the screen. I'd probably get use to it, to an extent, but I found all that absolutely maddening and hugely distracting on my test drive. I'm one of those guys that is always adjusting and tweaking the audio settings -- so I really liked the idea of physical controls. In my current car, I have to adjust the audio settings via a software menu as well, but being a BMW I can create a shortcut that gets me to the audio settings instantly. Not ideal, but nobody uses physical controls any more -- which was something I was looking forward to getting back to.

And I definitely want to avoid a car with the air suspension, which would rule out radar cruise control, right? Never mind that -- see you can get laser cruise without air suspension.

Thanks,

Last edited by natesi; 06-15-23 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 08:28 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t already sold. Cheap LS430.
Old 06-16-23, 04:17 PM
natesi
Driver

So... guys / gals - I've been thinking on this a lot.

If I can level with ya: If I didn't buy this simply because of the mileage, would you say I'm a scared little punk *** baby?

The service history is dang good -- the mileage is the big thing that has me hesitating.

Thanks,
Old 06-16-23, 04:39 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 178 Posts

Scared little punk *** baby indeed.
natesi (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 04:46 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Buy it. For the price and condition it seems to be a smart buy. In this used car market, you can buy it and figure out if you like it. If not, for whatever reason, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

It's a base model with no options. Embrace it. The stereo is easy to replace with a modern unit. No other options that create issues. People come on this forum saying they only want a certain color or option package. If that's you, you chances of finding what you are looking for are very slim and decreasing every day. These cars are like lakefront property. They are highly desirable and no more will be made.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 06-16-23 at 04:59 PM.
natesi (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 05:57 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by natesi
So... guys / gals - I've been thinking on this a lot.

If I can level with ya: If I didn't buy this simply because of the mileage, would you say I'm a scared little punk *** baby?

The service history is dang good -- the mileage is the big thing that has me hesitating.

Thanks,
If you choose to buy or choose to pass don't do anything until you see it in person. A picture is not worth 1000 words with a used car.

If there was ever a car to feel at ease with high mileage this is definitely it.
But..., there's still a lot to consider. Owners take the LS, 400's and 430's, to the 200K range often but those going that extra distance into the 300k range are fairly rare.
Going this far will create issues most of us don't see on a regular basis. There are a lot of original parts that often last 200k but are likely to develop issues past that.
Likely examples-
-cam seals
-wheel bearings
-steering rack
-motor mounts
- rear end and suspension bushings
The path to 200k is a walk in the park in an LS, going all the way to 300K can be a bumpy road.

natesi (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 06:03 PM
natesi
Driver

Thanks for the feedback. I was making plans to go up there when I ran the carfax. I waited on the carfax until Friday evening since I wasn't sure if they were going to sell it before the weekend.

Anyway, the plot thickens: Turns out this was an east coast car for the first 4 years and 50K miles. UNFORTUNATELY, I missed that when looking at the long lexus.com service history (placed more emphasis on the more recent services, so this got overlooked). Also, minor accident damage reported to the rear, which has been repaired -- that's probably no biggie.

Rust scares the living daylights out of me though, so I'm leaning towards passing on this one, now. If it wasn't a 6 hour round-trip drive I'd obviously go assess it before making a final decision. But keep in mind I have to bring someone with me to drive my car back, as well. So not sure if I want to make a such a huge commitment to a car that likely has rust under it. Even if there's no body rust, which there probably isn't, my guess is that the fasteners are rusted -- which is going to complicate future repairs and maintenance -- which **I**will be doing. LOL

Last edited by natesi; 06-16-23 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 06:18 PM
natesi
Driver

Originally Posted by bradland
The path to 200k is a walk in the park in an LS, going all the way to 300K can be a bumpy road.
Excellent point with the 200-300K mile thing. I was starting to come to that same conclusion after trying to find higher mile examples.
aypues (06-18-23)

Quick Reply: Did I find a 213K mile cream puff? High mile LS OK?