LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A cost effective most viable option for replacing air struts with something like this

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 10:42 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default A cost effective most viable option for replacing air struts with something like this

So the air strut thing has been discussed numerously. And then you get the guy like me who bought JDM used, ebay 70,000 mile ones and then they don't work. Venders will always say they work because they just inflate them and if they don't leak they work.

With my limited knowledge its not milage but time which does these in mostly. If theres no moving parts does't a new remanufactured air strut be a real option. And why hasn't it been discussed here more. The only thing that moves is the dampers, which seems dubious with some of the ebay and such struts available.

I'v talked to this vendor and he has repeatedly told me they have active dampers, when a lot of other venders just said yes as they didn't know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29523444606...&segname=11051

I'v gotten remanufactured control arms for my old bimmer and they were like oem. Its the rubber..
Old 07-10-23, 01:25 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks like it has the fitting for the Active Damping to me.
There are plenty of moving parts in that strut. Pistons, valves, and the mechanism for the Active Damping adjustment for starters.
The 2 most common failure modes in an air-strut are:
1- A seal leaks in the air side which leads to sagging and poor springing.
2- A seal leaks in the damping side which leads to pogoing when driving due to inadequate damping.
They are the same as a coilover strut but with air pressure plus a small coil spring used instead of a big coil spring.
Attached Thumbnails A cost effective most viable option for replacing air struts with something like this-front-air-strut.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ontheroad (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 05:54 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
Looks like it has the fitting for the Active Damping to me.
There are plenty of moving parts in that strut. Pistons, valves, and the mechanism for the Active Damping adjustment for starters.
The 2 most common failure modes in an air-strut are:
1- A seal leaks in the air side which leads to sagging and poor springing.
2- A seal leaks in the damping side which leads to pogoing when driving due to inadequate damping.
They are the same as a coilover strut but with air pressure plus a small coil spring used instead of a big coil spring.

Cool thanks. So the seals could go, that makes sense too. with time that stuff dries up. So the struts I listed look ok? Hard to tell until you get them on the car. So I get the bouncy can feel road imperfections thing. I imagine if they replaced all the seals and steel spring maybe. I just hope they are not like Arnott struts and make the ride firmer. But as you pointed out its got the input line. Oh I think I should pull the trigger my only concern is theres not a lot of mention of remanufactured here which leads me to believe its not a good idea.
Old 07-10-23, 06:24 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Yup, you are going to be the guinea pig for these as I don't know of anyone else who has fitted them, but it's a relief to know that reasonable priced struts are available.
Until recently it was Lexus prices or risk getting used parts.
Another seller has them for £200 each here in the UK which I will go for when mine finally let go.
Old 07-10-23, 08:42 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

If I save people heart ache its worth it. I think it will be down to ride quality. I have a shop that doesn't charge me to bring my own parts. Like I said on the Mercedes forums people use them a lot, I think on land rover too.
I think I read they last 8 years or 40-70k miles. I think its road conditions like salt, lots of bumps. But buying used sucks, the cost to put them in isnt bad (why I got one with rears already done) but its not a viable option. I thought people were nuts here saying to put new ones in but I see now. Im at least 1200 into it and for 1400 you can buy new ones oem.
Old 07-10-23, 05:32 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ontheroad
If I save people heart ache its worth it. I think it will be down to ride quality. I have a shop that doesn't charge me to bring my own parts. Like I said on the Mercedes forums people use them a lot, I think on land rover too.
I think I read they last 8 years or 40-70k miles. I think its road conditions like salt, lots of bumps. But buying used sucks, the cost to put them in isnt bad (why I got one with rears already done) but its not a viable option. I thought people were nuts here saying to put new ones in but I see now. Im at least 1200 into it and for 1400 you can buy new ones oem.
When are you planning on installing them? Very interested in your feedback on the ride quality.
Old 07-10-23, 07:16 PM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Well Im going to order those specific ones soon but the covid shut down a lot of shops and its like 3 weeks before they can get me in. The most important thing for me to do is find a seller that has history and will keep making them. But I suppose a lot of them are made in the same place. I looked at this sellers reviews and a lot of people with benz's and air suspension cars gave really good feedback. The days of saying if its made in China its junk necessarily. My dji looks like something nasa made.

Id put them in myself but I don't have level ground for the height sensors or a low profile jack. If you can do it your self I think thats the value of going used. I also have tinnitus (why I got the car) and noises hurt so the thought of working on it sound wise scares me. I feel like such a *** not putting them in myself.

Last edited by ontheroad; 07-10-23 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 01:26 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ontheroad
I feel like such a *** not putting them in myself.
Why? Some of us are not capable of working on our own cars. I have lower back issues and find working on cars painful.
I can do some stuff but definitely not all of it. I just paid someone to replace my front wheel bearings/hubs.
I do work on my motorcycles but there I can put the bike on a lift table and don't have to bend constantly.
2KHarrier (07-12-23)
Old 08-06-23, 08:41 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Yea good point. I used to work on all my cars, thats what gets me. But with tinnitus, dirt, a 4000 pound car, no low profile jack, and just my rear diff to jack it up or cross member on front its kinda hard.
Its just if I could do it myself taking a gamble on Chinese remanufactured would be an easier gamble. Rears I have no idea who would even do those on a UL.
Old 08-06-23, 02:07 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I just came across a great source on the 460 forum. amayama.com
Our rear air struts are half price there, and oem!
ontheroad (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 07:19 AM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Cool thanks, they are closed it seems. Once again its reliability of after market.
Old 08-07-23, 01:52 PM
trovergraywilson
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I just came across a great source on the 460 forum. amayama.com
Our rear air struts are half price there, and oem!
My in-laws in Aus use this website all of the time - I'm going to keep this in mind. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by trovergraywilson:
aypues (08-08-23), ontheroad (08-08-23)
Old 08-15-23, 01:41 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do let us know how they ride!