LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installing ATOTO S8 head unit and backup camera in 04

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 08:11 PM
Tyippy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing ATOTO S8 head unit and backup camera in 04

I have recently bought an 04 Ls without the nav or screen. I plan on installing the ATOTO S8 along with the ATOTO backup camera. Has anyone done this?
Old 07-17-23, 12:36 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 737 Likes on 520 Posts

Good luck. How does it interface with the factory amp or are you going to run a dedicated amp? You can tap the reverse light circuit in the access panel in the trunk on the left side. If you need the number, I can dig it up or I have the diagram around here somewhere from when I did my install on my non-nav 06.
Old 07-17-23, 12:39 PM
Tyippy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Romanova
Good luck. How does it interface with the factory amp or are you going to run a dedicated amp? You can tap the reverse light circuit in the access panel in the trunk on the left side. If you need the number, I can dig it up or I have the diagram around here somewhere from when I did my install on my non-nav 06.
I am hoping it will work with the factory amp. I have done some research and I am still not sure. If you could send the diagram that would be a huge help.
Old 07-17-23, 12:45 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Tyippy
I am hoping it will work with the factory amp. I have done some research and I am still not sure. If you could send the diagram that would be a huge help.
You need some way to interface with the factory amp. The BeatSonic works wonders and is what I used but I don't know how that works with what you have and trying to find one now is a real challenge as they've been out of production for some time.

Send me a PM with your email address so I can email you the trunk wiring block diagram.
Old 07-19-23, 09:37 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
You need some way to interface with the factory amp. The BeatSonic works wonders and is what I used but I don't know how that works with what you have and trying to find one now is a real challenge as they've been out of production for some time.

Send me a PM with your email address so I can email you the trunk wiring block diagram.
Whats out of production? The beatsonic kit? Does the beatsonic kit and interface allow you to fade front to rear? I think the factory amp has a left and right input and fades with a can bus signal? Cause one of the cheaper interfaces gives you a low level output to go into the factory amp but its only a left and right input. Kinda weird. I wanted to be able to control the front and rear fade and sub level but I would have had to settle for no fade and catching speaker level outputs at the amp to get sub control. And then I wanted my radio flush mounted so I was waiting for a nice double din that was a shallow mount, so no cd player etc. Theres a couple now I think but I was going to do a custom radio trim ring to sit it flush. blah blah blah. life kinda gets in the way and just no time to do it. Im about to sell my LS too now so my plans are all done for lol
Old 07-20-23, 08:15 AM
Romanova
Racer

They no longer make the interface kit for the nav or the non-nav cars nor do they make the mounting kit. Don't blame them considering our cars are 17 years old at their youngest. The nav kit is still easy to find used in Japan but the non-nav is a challenge given how few cars over there were optioned that way.
Old 07-25-23, 10:38 AM
mccrimmon1
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 LS430 and rather than gut my headunit, I bought a Carpuride W901 unit that has a rear camera interface, and plugs into the aux port of your stock radio... I don't kmow if that helps... but it helped me get Carplay in a 19 year old great car...
Old 07-25-23, 04:13 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the Atoto S8 installed in the 01 ultra, It takes quite a while to be comfortable with all the multi multi multi settings. Had some issues with it - the support is quite good. Even after warranty expiration they are still helpful. Presently it takes almost 5 min before the sound comes on. Support has some suggestions but as a layman its out of my league to fix this. Audio tech charges over 100/hr. The rear camera does not work any more but I think I found the problem. The cable was installed too right. When opening and closing the trunk lid the cable got bend too much and eventually broke.
Would I buy it again? I am undecided. Even other toprated units have problems. I think it is a washout. For the first 4 months it worked flawless
Old 08-02-23, 03:15 PM
Tyippy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mccrimmon1
I have a 2004 LS430 and rather than gut my headunit, I bought a Carpuride W901 unit that has a rear camera interface, and plugs into the aux port of your stock radio... I don't kmow if that helps... but it helped me get Carplay in a 19 year old great car...
I think I am going to do this. Do you mind sending me a picture. I want to see how/ where it would fit.