LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Excellent video on the Lexus LS430 from the Car Care Nut

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-23, 04:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TominPT
I think the problem is with a staining of the PS fluid reservoir - you think the fluid is at the high mark of the stain but in fact it is not - you are leaking fluid and the level falls so far the PS pump starts to have issues. If you are on top of the fluid level you are ok. If the staining is bad and you neglectful in checking the level then just replace the reservoir.

I think regarding the wire harness he is referring to the plastic connectors everywhere - they get brittle with time and clumsy hands or tools can and will break them. Handle them with care if they are original. .
Yes, the power steering canister gets stained and only if you check it periodically will you know what level you're at, which is usually near full unless there are issues. Again, any wiring under the hood of the LS430 gets crispy from the heat. Playing with the injectors (when replacing gaskets and plugs) can also be tricky as the connectors are brittle like toast and easily fall apart. Another reason to either do the work yourself, or find a dedicated shop that actually cares enough to take that extra mile in being super careful with our old cars.
Old 07-24-23, 07:51 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Ya I watched it and was wondering about the power steering reservoir…something about the filter in it goes bad eventually? I think I’m due for a PS fluid flush. Is it worth changing out the reservoir? I think the part is like $250.
Old 07-25-23, 08:57 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Ya I watched it and was wondering about the power steering reservoir…something about the filter in it goes bad eventually? I think I’m due for a PS fluid flush. Is it worth changing out the reservoir? I think the part is like $250.
If it's not broken, not worth the money. There was a video on getting it cleaned, but it was somewhat time intensive. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (07-25-23)
Old 09-03-23, 04:34 PM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not quite that ... his point is that if the walls of the reservoir are stained, the very fine filter in the base of the reservoir may be getting clogged, and if it does, say goodbye to the p/s pump. It's very easy to change out the reservoir and if you order one direct from Japan they are far far cheaper than from a US Lexus dealer.

Originally Posted by TominPT
I think the problem is with a staining of the PS fluid reservoir - you think the fluid is at the high mark of the stain but in fact it is not - you are leaking fluid and the level falls so far the PS pump starts to have issues. If you are on top of the fluid level you are ok. If the staining is bad and you neglectful in checking the level then just replace the reservoir.

I think regarding the wire harness he is referring to the plastic connectors everywhere - they get brittle with time and clumsy hands or tools can and will break them. Handle them with care if they are original. .
The following users liked this post:
aypues (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 05:57 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by slightreturn
It's not quite that ... his point is that if the walls of the reservoir are stained, the very fine filter in the base of the reservoir may be getting clogged, and if it does, say goodbye to the p/s pump. It's very easy to change out the reservoir and if you order one direct from Japan they are far far cheaper than from a US Lexus dealer.
Thanks for this. I found several on ebay, new from Japan, around $100. Pretty cheap insurance to just replace it if you ask me.