LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is it time to say goodbye to my LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 11:40 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Who did the work in San Diego? I’m looking for someone new, if you think they’re good I’d appreciate it.
I have little experience with local/independent shops. My LS430 was mostly serviced at the local Toyota dealership for the past 10 years.This shop was recommended by neighbors on nextdoor.com , if you want to see what others have to say about local shops here. (Send me a PM, and I'll send you their name)
Old 09-04-23, 05:25 PM
Donovan000
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sell it

Originally Posted by natey2
my kid (new driver) was driving my 2005 ls430 (135k miles).
Car overheated. Maybe not pulled over in time. Head gasket blown (according to mechanic): Engine oil + coolant mix.
Mechanic says there's a crack at the top of the radiator.
This car had a radiator service done about 4 months/1k miles ago at a toyota dealership.

Repair places here (southern california) suggest buying a new motor (around $5k to $7k), if i really want to keep the car.

Or is it time to get a tesla?
sell it to me ill buy it
Old 04-10-24, 11:46 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

First long (120 mile) drive (San Diego to Los Angeles) after engine/head-gasket repair, new plugs, etc: 24.2 mpg.
The car is on synthetic oil after the engine work.

Update: 24.9 mpg: 85-mile drive from San Diego to Irvine, on I-5.
Used cruise-control at 72 mph for a while. But also did 80+ in some sections.

(Yeah, I reset all the counters after filling up the tank with Costco 91-octane gas for this measurement)

Last edited by Natey2; 04-21-24 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-13-24, 04:41 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

This thread reminds me when I had to replace the transmission on my still new to me, 05 LS 430 with a 158k miles a couple of months ago.

I had a dilemma on my hands. I was quoted around $6,000 to get the transmission completely rebuilt, but with a 100k mileage warranty or 3 years. Other shops wanted $4-5,000 for the work, but the warranty was only 12k miles or 1 year.

I literally just bought the car last November for $7,000 and spent some money replacing solenoids and fluid drain and refills hoping that it would fix the transmission problem that I was having, but it did not.

Because I couldn’t afford to pay almost $6k for rebuilt trans, I found a very low mileage (55k) used trans online from a reputable JDM depot and it was shipped to me here in San Diego at a transmission shop as well, from Long Beach.

The used trans was only $1600 and labor to install and reprogram was $1000, I also provided the trans fluid to the shop, which saved me even more money. So a total of $2600 I have a pretty much new transmission in my LS 430. I saved a lot of money in the process and would recommend getting a used low mileage examples if you can, because at least moving forward if your strict with your maintenance intervals and drive the car like a sane person, the engine/trans will last a very very long time.

So far the car has been a dream to drive now after the transmission replacement. I just replaced the spark plugs the other day ( which were a little worn down) including the PCV valve which looked original and sounded like it was partially clogged. The PCV valve hose had a crack on it where it connects to the valve itself which caused a small vacuum leak, so I replaced it with a new OEM one.

Now the engine runs even smoother! Sometimes I can’t tell if it’s on or not lol. These are one of smoothest cars I have ever owned, the drivetrain is seamless and is whisper quiet inside.

i also own a 07 LS 460L which is also a great car, but it doesn’t have the build quality like the 430. A lot of interior pieces feel cheaper and more plasticky, the fit n finish isn’t as nice either, the leather seats are also better quality in the 430 which has the piping on the seats, which the 460 doesn’t have.

I’m definitely keeping my LS 430 forever if I can, it’s one of the best daily drivers one could ever own. It has a smooth ride, it’s built solid, it’s reliable and fairly easy to work on for DIYers which makes doing repair work on your own way more cost effective. They look nice and many luxury car owners respect them when they see one. I get looks from other Lexus owners on the road or even other Benz and Beemer owners creepin up beside me just to look at the car with admiration.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (04-13-24)
Old 04-16-24, 06:17 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Because I couldn’t afford to pay almost $6k for rebuilt trans, I found a very low mileage (55k) used trans online from a reputable JDM depot and it was shipped to me here in San Diego at a transmission shop as well, from Long Beach. The used trans was only $1600 and labor to install and reprogram was $1000, I also provided the trans fluid to the shop, which saved me even more money. So a total of $2600 I have a pretty much new transmission in my LS 430.
Re: buying used [major] parts from 3rd parties...

Independent shops here in San Diego I spoke to will not warranty any used part (or service related to) supplied by the owner. Some won't even accept them.They want to be able to pick what they think will work decently and from places they have a business/exchange relationship with, and those parts typically cost more.

I did buy a rebuilt power door lock actuator (entire assembly/unit) with trade-in/return of my failed unit, on Amazon (it's not as easy to just replace that $5 motor for people like me, in the YouTube video) and had a mechanic install it, with no warranty on the service/labor, but a lifetime warranty on the part by the Amazon vendor (as long as he is still reachable on Amazon, right?)

Last edited by Natey2; 04-21-24 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Copy/paste from my local Andoid editor to here loses linefeeds