LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I got a Tranny issue P0761 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 04:11 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Ok, but both of the ECU’s didn’t fix the problem as the code is still there. So it’s not the ECU from
what I found out.
1. take your VIN and ask the dealer which ecu part number you have. Make sure you have the right part number in the car.

2. Check the ecu for a repair sticker. SIA adds a sealing sticker for warranty purposes. Most ecu repair places do the same. If no ecu repair sticker ON YOUR CORRECT ECU, you have a choice. 1. Chance the ecu is good abd rebuild tranny or 2. Send the ecu to confirm YOUR CORRECT ECU was repaired.

Unless you have records about which ecu was fixed you only know there are two differwnt ecus and the mechanic statement. For the $115 SIA charges, id sure do that first before rebuilding a trans or valve body.
Old 01-04-24, 04:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,496 Posts

Warranty seal stickers are illegal in the United States, they can't void any warranty based on a sticker.
Old 01-04-24, 04:44 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Warranty seal stickers are illegal in the United States, they can't void any warranty based on a sticker.
Thanks. Great add. But i dont care. They put a sticker on mine. you also added nothing to the rest of what i said that thr OP isnt sure which ecu he needs, which ecu was fixed.

But sure, the sticker isnt the warranty.
Old 01-04-24, 04:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Bovineplan
Thanks. Great add. But i dont care.
Then don't quote me if you don't care.
Old 01-04-24, 05:02 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

1. take your VIN and ask the dealer which ecu part number you have. Make sure you have the right part number in the car.

2. Check the ecu for a repair sticker. SIA adds a sealing sticker for warranty purposes. Most ecu repair places do the same. If no ecu repair sticker ON YOUR CORRECT ECU, you have a choice. 1. Chance the ecu is good abd rebuild tranny or 2. Send the ecu to confirm YOUR CORRECT ECU was repaired.

Unless you have records about which ecu was fixed you only know there are two differwnt ecus and the mechanic statement. For the $115 SIA charges, id sure do that first before rebuilding a trans or valve body.

Thanks for that @Bovineplan . I’ll hit up the dealer tomorrow and ask what the serial number is, good to know.
Old 01-05-24, 07:45 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

You could also go Lexus parts online and put in your serial #.
Old 01-05-24, 03:01 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
You could also go Lexus parts online and put in your serial #.

I called the dealer and the ECU that’s installed in my car is the correct one, but it’s not the one that was repaired.

Took the car for a 30 mile drive on the freeway and it shifted perfectly fine with no CEL, it just says that the code is still pending. Very weird, so I plan on sending out the ECU for repair and or check to make sure that it’s ok.
Old 01-05-24, 05:15 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Where are you going to send it? I have similar problem and am thinking about sending out ECU. Reviews on SIA are very mixed.
Old 01-05-24, 05:34 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS430Lexus
Where are you going to send it? I have similar problem and am thinking about sending out ECU. Reviews on SIA are very mixed.
SIA since they do seem very reputable. If the ECU is ok, then they will send the ECU back to you and just charge a fee for inspecting it. That’s my plan at least for now.
Old 01-05-24, 06:44 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

I called the dealer and the ECU that’s installed in my car is the correct one, but it’s not the one that was repaired.

Took the car for a 30 mile drive on the freeway and it shifted perfectly fine with no CEL, it just says that the code is still pending. Very weird, so I plan on sending out the ECU for repair and or check to make sure that it’s ok.
That is a good plan. This way you know ot was sent out. I recall listong the pending/active code as i think it points them to the right spot on the ecu to check.

Keep us updated.
Old 01-05-24, 10:41 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

That is a good plan. This way you know ot was sent out. I recall listong the pending/active code as i think it points them to the right spot on the ecu to check.

Keep us updated.

Will do. 👌
Old 01-06-24, 07:09 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

A repair shop will find cold solder joints in ageing equipment even if it hasn't caused any problems yet. For every piece of equipment there are known areas to look at and solder to prevent future problems. Also hopefully common known suspected capacitors will be replaced at same time even if they are good. Repair shops generally have kits with all the parts in a bag to replace per equipment and they replace them all. This is a cheap repair that you want to future proof.
Old 01-07-24, 03:14 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
A repair shop will find cold solder joints in ageing equipment even if it hasn't caused any problems yet. For every piece of equipment there are known areas to look at and solder to prevent future problems. Also hopefully common known suspected capacitors will be replaced at same time even if they are good. Repair shops generally have kits with all the parts in a bag to replace per equipment and they replace them all. This is a cheap repair that you want to future proof.

Do you think something else related to the ECU, such as other ECU engine component commands inside the circuit board can trigger a transmission code?

What is the other connectors that are off to the side below the ECU?. Is this another module?
Old 02-08-24, 11:45 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I spoke with the technician that worked on my transmission today and he thinks that the valve body needs to be replaced as everything else checked out ok including all the solenoids and ECU. So now I plan on buying a nicely reconditioned valve body.

Thats crazy, $4,600? Did you consider going to a transmission shop vs the dealer? I would never go to the dealer for anything unless I absolutely had to or it was a last resort.

Try the ECU fix first, and possibly ask about the valve body having issues if the transmission is shifting fine and it’s not having any other problems instead of going for a full on rebuild.
Repairing/replacing the valve body is step 3 of the diagnostic process for P0761. Step 1 is check for other DTCs (which I'm sure you've already done), Step 2 is replace shift solenoid valve S3 (which it looks like you've done already), so next is to ensure there are no foreign objects on each valve and that they operate smoothly.

Step 4 is inspect/replace the torque converter clutch, and if that doesn't solve it, step 5 is to replace the transmission, although I would say send your ECU to be repaired (not exchanged with a different one) before replacing the transmission.
Old 02-09-24, 04:11 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

I sent out the ECU to get looked at, I should hear back from SIAC sometime next week on what they find out.

Quick Reply: I got a Tranny issue P0761 code