LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver's Seat bottom leather replacement - Guinea Pig

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 06:47 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Driver's Seat bottom leather replacement - Guinea Pig

So I am getting tired of dealing with my torn drivers seat bottom. the rest of my interior (2004 Gray interior) is in great shape. So I pulled the trigger on this ebay OEM-Style replacement cover. I am very curious how it will match the current Grey interior color. I am also curious about the quality. I could not find any other reviews or persons who have bought this option, so I decided to be the guinea pig. I will update this post when I receive it, and when I install it.

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (01-03-24)
Old 01-02-24, 09:28 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by weldthedif
So I am getting tired of dealing with my torn drivers seat bottom. the rest of my interior (2004 Gray interior) is in great shape. So I pulled the trigger on this ebay OEM-Style replacement cover. I am very curious how it will match the current Grey interior color. I am also curious about the quality. I could not find any other reviews or persons who have bought this option, so I decided to be the guinea pig. I will update this post when I receive it, and when I install it.

Just to give an alternative, I found a custom high end car restorer near me for same issue on passenger seat. This placed asked around $270 and re-sewed a new bottom central piece in (non-leather, but indistinguishable). Only the bottom had the severe damage. I think they also refinished whole seat. It smelled really strong for a day or two, and creases looked much better, etc. The color was very slightly slightly off from my UL ecru. More beige. But seat looked clean and nearly new... color diff barely noticeable unless you compare to the armrest. Another restorer had wanted $900. If you can find someone like that nearby, it might be a good alternative. My place was "Master's Touch" on Long Island in NY.
Old 01-03-24, 04:39 PM
AmdEmAll
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my watch list as well. They sure look nice in the pictures.
Old 01-17-24, 11:34 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

i received the seat cover and installed it.

Initial impressions are good, however i realized that the perforated leather sections are not actually leather, they are vinyl. That is disappointing. The ad on ebay says it is real leather, and that is only partially true. The rest of the sections seem to be real leather, and the feel is overall good. I just wonder what the long term longevity of the vinyl will be, time will tell.

Installation - lets be honest, installing this is a pain the ***, but doable by anyone with just basic tools. I used 3/8 inch stainless hog rings and a pair of needlenose pliers. It took me maybe 2-3 hours total to install this. I took the seat out of the car and attempted to replace the cover with the seat bottom in place, and then realized that it would be necessary to take the lower metal "bucket" out of the seat frame, which required having the bottom bucket in an exact position to get the tools in place to remove the bucket. So i had to re-install in the car to supply power to the motors to move the seat bottom to just the right place in order to be able to remove it.

Quality and fitment - overall the quality seems good, other than the perforated panels not being leather. it fit fairly well, but it does need some serious massaging to get it to fit just right. there are several of the clips on the bottom that I was just not able to get clipped in. The color match to the grey internet

A few other things i realized that surprised me:
The seat heater is not in the foam, there is NO HEAT ELEMENT in the seat from what I can tell. I am guessing that the seat heat works through air moving through the seat. I was quite surprised by this !
The new seat is not smooth enough for your pants to "slide" on. So you have to skootch yourself in an out of the seat a bit more than before. I am still getting used to that.

Overall, I'm happy for the price, but it's not perfect. Time will tell how long it lasts, but I am happy to not have a huge rip in my driver seat.
LatinLS430 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 11:35 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

some pics

The following 2 users liked this post by weldthedif:
aypues (01-17-24), LatinLS430 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 11:38 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

more pics

LatinLS430 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 04:34 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

It looks good!
So does the seat heating not work now at all? I'm fairly certain the seat heating is not done by moving air, rather a resistive heater.
Old 01-20-24, 06:14 AM
Loops320
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on doing the install yourself, I bit the bullet and bought an oem cover and installed it myself. I had the exact same issue with the holes not lining up, couldn’t get a socket in there. Added hours to the job, next time, should be pretty easy.
Old 01-20-24, 07:51 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Perforated section vinyl surprised me. I bought from them a replacement seat cover for my 2005 GX and the section was leather.
Old 01-22-24, 06:19 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Originally Posted by aypues
It looks good!
So does the seat heating not work now at all? I'm fairly certain the seat heating is not done by moving air, rather a resistive heater.

The heating works just was good as it did before, which isn't as warn as other cars i have. I can say with 100% certainly there is no heating element in the seat or the foam. The seat heat in the LS430 works in a different way than most cars it seems, it is forced air rather than a heating element.
Old 01-22-24, 11:45 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by weldthedif
The heating works just was good as it did before, which isn't as warn as other cars i have. I can say with 100% certainly there is no heating element in the seat or the foam. The seat heat in the LS430 works in a different way than most cars it seems, it is forced air rather than a heating element.
there is no moving air, that’s only the cooled portion.
the heater is silent and is a standard resistive element, take a look at the part itself here:

https://parts.parkplacelexusplano.co...MaAhTuEALw_wcB