LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Issue with Rod for Battery Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 10:50 AM
sportsfan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Rod for Battery Bracket

I replaced the battery in my LS430 today. I'm not mechanically skilled and normally would not have done this myself. The shop I bought the battery from was not willing to install the new battery due to cold weather. So my hand was forced into trying it myself. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and gave it a go. I have the new battery in place and it is starting fine. My issue now is there are 2 threaded rods that the top bracket securing the battery into place attaches to. One of the rods fell into the engine and did not fall through to the ground. I'm now left with no way to secure the battery bracket back on.

Are the positive and/or negative battery connections likely to come loose if I attempt to drive without the battery bracket back on? Do I risk damaging the engine if the rod remains somewhere in the engine? I assuming having a large piece moving around somewhere in the engine is asking for problems. Any suggestions about how I can get to the area where the rod likely fell to?

Attaching a picture of the piece I'm referring to if my description is confusing. This is with the old battery before I took off the battery bracket that I now can't get back on.

Old 01-21-24, 11:14 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 197 Posts

The battery connections ate not likely to get loose but the battery posts can break off as the battery bounces around in the tray as they are being held in place by the +/- cables. Also, the area around the posts is a common area where gassing occurs, corroding the metal. The battery bouncing around will only increase the gassing effect.

So, taking the battery out, you can’t retrieve the fallen item? How about from the bottom? There is an undercarriage cover you can remove. It may have a combination of bolts and clips holding it in place.
Old 01-21-24, 11:43 AM
sportsfan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
The battery connections ate not likely to get loose but the battery posts can break off as the battery bounces around in the tray as they are being held in place by the +/- cables. Also, the area around the posts is a common area where gassing occurs, corroding the metal. The battery bouncing around will only increase the gassing effect.

So, taking the battery out, you can’t retrieve the fallen item? How about from the bottom? There is an undercarriage cover you can remove. It may have a combination of bolts and clips holding it in place.
That makes sense about the gassing effect and risk of damage to battery posts.

Unfortunately, I think the rod fell pretty deep. I think it's somewhere around or beneath the battery mount. I'm not sure if I can get there from the top and I can't get under the car without a lift. I guess at this point I expect I'll need to bring it to a mechanic. My biggest concern is causing damage if I drive before I can bring it to the mechanic. I'm guessing if the rod bounces around and hits something internally it could cause major engine damage.

This is as far as I can get with the new battery. The bracket is unsecured in the area where the missing rod fell (bottom of picture). The threaded rod is a few inches in length.

Old 01-21-24, 12:04 PM
sportsfan
3rd Gear

I could get it to a mechanic within a couple of days but ideally would want to drive it to and from work on Monday and Tuesday (about 10 miles each way) before bringing it in. I may be able to come up with an excuse to work remote and take it to the mechanic first thing tomorrow (less than a mile away). It seems like I'm in over my head in trying to retrieve the fallen piece and I'd probably be risking too much in trying to drive it with a loose piece somewhere in the engine.
Old 01-21-24, 01:24 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Where it fell is fine and if want to get out just take the bottom tray off. In meantime or permanent just use a couple of good zip ties will work fine.
Old 01-21-24, 05:51 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've done similarly to what you experienced, with a rod falling down.

As others said, there's very little danger with the rod not being recovered from the area where it's resting now. The only hazard, as others stated, is with the battery not being held securely in place.

If you want to retrieve the rod, remove the battery, and use a flashlight and a magnet, see if you can retrieve the rod. You might have to lie on your back and see if you can get it from down below. You can also gently pound on the plastic shroud underneath, to hear if the rod fell all the way to the bottom and is lying on the plastic shroud.

If you absolutely can't retrieve it, consider driving to the dealer and requesting another rod from the parts/service department...or even searching ebay/etc? Here's a kit from ebay!... EBAY LINK Here's a link to the parts and breakdown with the part #'s... BATTERY PARTS LINK

In the meantime, you can try some creative engineering to keep the battery in place, like using large tie-wraps somehow/someway. You might be able to fold some thick pieces of cardboard and wedge them on the sides...or even using using some pieces of wood or cutting down a 2x4 to wedge in there?

Let us know how you make out!
Old 01-22-24, 12:06 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan
. I'm not sure if I can get there from the top and I can't get under the car without a lift.
If you have any 2x4’s lying around, you can use those. Anything to drive up on. Or, invest in some ramps. They will also come useful in doing your own oil changes Harbor Freight has them. A magnetic pick-up pen may also come useful in retrieving the part from a side opening.
Old 01-22-24, 03:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

It's a fishing expedition but if done slowly and carefully can be done. A real PITA.
Old 01-22-24, 04:13 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

You can take it to a mechanic, just use some twist ties or anything else you can fashion to hold the battery for a few days.

We've all done it, myself included many times. If you remove the battery and the tray that holds it (just a couple of bolts) you should have a pretty clear view, I bet you'll see it and be able to fish it out.

Don't feel bad, it happens. You'll look back on it and it will all seem funny.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 01-22-24 at 04:19 PM.