LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 LS 430 18” wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24 | 07:15 AM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 LS 430 18” wheels

I recently purchased a 2006 LS 430. It is in great shape but it came with aftermarket 18” wheels. I prefer stock wheels, in particular the 18” five spoke from Lexus. I have scoured the internet and am finding the most cost effective option are new OEM replicas. There are quite a few resellers on eBay. Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266629817144?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=COfhW2q0QgK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=EIZvbcsBSCW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Anyone go this route or have suggestions for other vendor options for these wheels?

the picture is what I currently have on the LS.

Old 01-30-24 | 07:41 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusAreNice
I recently purchased a 2006 LS 430. It is in great shape but it came with aftermarket 18” wheels. I prefer stock wheels, in particular the 18” five spoke from Lexus. I have scoured the internet and am finding the most cost effective option are new OEM replicas. There are quite a few resellers on eBay. Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26662981714...mis&media=COPY

Anyone go this route or have suggestions for other vendor options for these wheels?

the picture is what I currently have on the LS.

Yeah I agree, aftermarket wheels almost never look right on these cars. I would steer clear of replicas though. Too many stories of failure or poor quality control. Just buy five 18" Lexus 5-spokes and call it a day. These engineers went to the absolute ends of the Earth to design a superb car for you, so it really is appropriate and worth it to use all OE parts, all the time. Sometimes you have to eat instant Rahmen noodles for a while to afford this stuff but I truly think it's the best answer.

The following users liked this post:
LexusAreNice (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24 | 08:40 AM
shizzyshanee
3rd Gear

congrats again on the purchase! If i ever some across a set ill let you know
LexusAreNice (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24 | 08:43 AM
graphX250
Pit Crew

I have a set of stock 17's I just took off.
Old 01-30-24 | 09:01 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Yep, keep watching Offerup and Craigslist and be willing to drive a little. People are Ebay are too savvy so prices will be high and then shipping...uggh. When I was going through my 'chrome trials' with my 03 in Washington, I drove from Woodinville to Vancouver to get a set from a guy but for $250 they were worth it.
OEM are $500/pop, even from Bell. The replicas are tempting due to price, but cheap Chinese soft compounds. Many people on this site have confirmed and I had a tire shop manager confirm it to me. I agree the 18" 5-spoke on the 04-06 are simple, perfect and beautiful, and I think worth the wait.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 01-30-24 at 09:10 AM.
LexusAreNice (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24 | 12:55 PM
TominPT
Instructor

You might also try a junk yard and get lucky, or check out the recyclers of wrecked Lexus cars (Rancho Cordova CA has several).
LexusAreNice (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24 | 02:07 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Has anyone had their used wheels refurbished? I really dislike curb rash.
Old 01-30-24 | 04:10 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexusAreNice
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Has anyone had their used wheels refurbished? I really dislike curb rash.
Yes, I have had wheeled refurbished by a local company with very good results. Detroit Wheel and Tire, you can find them on the internet.
Old 01-30-24 | 04:17 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

My 2005 originally was fitted out with the beautiful 5-spoke 18" wheels. In my opinion, the tradeoff for ride quality versus the visual beauty of the car is a no brainer for me. Gimme the 18's all day, every day!

Since then, they peeled and chipped and the paint was flaking more than the bark on a Sycamore tree!

I was unsure what to do.......have them refinished locally, or trade them in to a ebay seller for "exchange", seek genuine/used on Craigslist/junkyard/etc...or just buy some knockoffs. What a pain searching junkyards or hoping someone from Craigslist will be honest and not sell you a bent rim, etc. I tried the ebay "exchange" vendor and sent him pictures and he said the service wasn't available, since my wheels were in terrible condition. He had genuine/oem rims, and I was going to send him genuine/oem rims.

Long story short, I purchased knockoff wheels (hyper silver, from Santana Wheel) on ebay in December of 2022, as a Christmas present to myself.

All I can say is WOW. All my friends were like WOW. It's like a NEW CAR. One CANNOT TELL the difference between originals or the knockoffs. YOU CANNOT VISUALLY TELL. They are amazing, and they easily balanced with new Vredestein Quatrac Pro's.

I was agonizing over the decision to not buy genuine/oem.....but NOBODY can tell. I'm not driving 120mph and I'm not taking curves at 2g's. These aftermarket/knockoff wheels aren't going to simply explode and I run off the road and die. The knockoffs are FANTASTIC and I paid LESS THAN $780 DELIVERED! YOU WOULD NEVER EVER KNOW THEY'RE NOT GENUINE 5 SPOKE WHEELS. (I thought I posted my experience on here, but maybe not?) They still look brand new to this day.
LexusAreNice (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24 | 05:42 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slightreturn
Yeah I agree, aftermarket wheels almost never look right on these cars. I would steer clear of replicas though. Too many stories of failure or poor quality control. Just buy five 18" Lexus 5-spokes and call it a day. These engineers went to the absolute ends of the Earth to design a superb car for you, so it really is appropriate and worth it to use all OE parts, all the time. Sometimes you have to eat instant Rahmen noodles for a while to afford this stuff but I truly think it's the best answer.
thanks for the advice, super helpful!
Old 01-30-24 | 05:44 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430Lexus
Yes, I have had wheeled refurbished by a local company with very good results. Detroit Wheel and Tire, you can find them on the internet.
thanks for the lead, much appreciated!
Old 01-30-24 | 05:44 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by graphX250
I have a set of stock 17's I just took off.
I really want those “18’s, non chrome
Old 01-30-24 | 05:46 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
Yep, keep watching Offerup and Craigslist and be willing to drive a little. People are Ebay are too savvy so prices will be high and then shipping...uggh. When I was going through my 'chrome trials' with my 03 in Washington, I drove from Woodinville to Vancouver to get a set from a guy but for $250 they were worth it.
OEM are $500/pop, even from Bell. The replicas are tempting due to price, but cheap Chinese soft compounds. Many people on this site have confirmed and I had a tire shop manager confirm it to me. I agree the 18" 5-spoke on the 04-06 are simple, perfect and beautiful, and I think worth the wait.
I am in WA state too. I would drive across the state for a set
Old 01-30-24 | 05:50 PM
LexusAreNice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
My 2005 originally was fitted out with the beautiful 5-spoke 18" wheels. In my opinion, the tradeoff for ride quality versus the visual beauty of the car is a no brainer for me. Gimme the 18's all day, every day!

Since then, they peeled and chipped and the paint was flaking more than the bark on a Sycamore tree!

I was unsure what to do.......have them refinished locally, or trade them in to a ebay seller for "exchange", seek genuine/used on Craigslist/junkyard/etc...or just buy some knockoffs. What a pain searching junkyards or hoping someone from Craigslist will be honest and not sell you a bent rim, etc. I tried the ebay "exchange" vendor and sent him pictures and he said the service wasn't available, since my wheels were in terrible condition. He had genuine/oem rims, and I was going to send him genuine/oem rims.

Long story short, I purchased knockoff wheels (hyper silver, from Santana Wheel) on ebay in December of 2022, as a Christmas present to myself.

All I can say is WOW. All my friends were like WOW. It's like a NEW CAR. One CANNOT TELL the difference between originals or the knockoffs. YOU CANNOT VISUALLY TELL. They are amazing, and they easily balanced with new Vredestein Quatrac Pro's.

I was agonizing over the decision to not buy genuine/oem.....but NOBODY can tell. I'm not driving 120mph and I'm not taking curves at 2g's. These aftermarket/knockoff wheels aren't going to simply explode and I run off the road and die. The knockoffs are FANTASTIC and I paid LESS THAN $780 DELIVERED! YOU WOULD NEVER EVER KNOW THEY'RE NOT GENUINE 5 SPOKE WHEELS. (I thought I posted my experience on here, but maybe not?) They still look brand new to this day.
thanks for sharing your experience- that is one of the eBay vendors I have looked at. Great to hear they look good, as all of the photos/images are exactly the same. Lame in my opinion.

i even found some for sale from Walmart, I can’t remember if they are factory or not.
Old 02-01-24 | 04:36 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

I debated between powder coating factory wheels and buying a set of replicas. Ended up powder coating. Result is a set of refinished factory wheels, but the coating is not perfect. The shop told me it was because of the corrosions. I spent $200 on the cores ( I did not want to deal with dismounting, mounting and re-balancing the tires), and $660 on powder coating.

Quick Reply: 2006 LS 430 18” wheels