LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Oil Cooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 06:52 AM
manualdr5
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default LS 430 Oil Cooler Upgrade

Just curious if anyone out there has done this upgrade. More importantly how common is a coolant leak into the tranny on these machines? Here's a link to the vendor selling it on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204632652689
Old 03-10-24, 10:16 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

When I learned about transmission coolers I was told that the correct routing is for the transmission fluid to leave the transmission hot, enter the new cooler to be cooled and then to run through the radiator cooler so that it can be heated if necessary. You want the transmission fluid to be at a correct temperature and not to cold.

If you have an issue with your radiator, probably best to buy a new radiator. As I recall the heavy duty radiators for towing are less money than a standard radiator.

Loren
Old 03-10-24, 12:09 PM
manualdr5
Rookie

Originally Posted by lorenr
When I learned about transmission coolers I was told that the correct routing is for the transmission fluid to leave the transmission hot, enter the new cooler to be cooled and then to run through the radiator cooler so that it can be heated if necessary. You want the transmission fluid to be at a correct temperature and not to cold.

If you have an issue with your radiator, probably best to buy a new radiator. As I recall the heavy duty radiators for towing are less money than a standard radiator.

Loren
I was only enquiring after the seller said it was common for the LS 430 to leak coolant in the tranny which i call BS. I have no issues with my rad and the tow package rad is more than the regular just an FYI.
Old 03-10-24, 12:22 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 699 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by manualdr5
I was only enquiring after the seller said it was common for the LS 430 to leak coolant in the tranny which i call BS. I have no issues with my rad and the tow package rad is more than the regular just an FYI.
It is BS.
Not only is it not common I can't recall ever hearing it has happened even once.
The Aisin A7xx transmission is also used in Toyota full size trucks. It lives a very comfortable / leisurely existence in a 430.
The LS drivetrain, engine transmission and cooling system, are all extremely over engineered for the car.
So much so I'd be skeptical an additional trans. cooler would even produce a noticeable effect,
Why do you feel a need for additional trans cooling?
The following users liked this post:
manualdr5 (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 12:30 PM
manualdr5
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
It is BS.
Not only is it not common I can't recall ever hearing it has happened even once.
The Aisin A7xx transmission is also used in Toyota full size trucks. It lives a very comfortable / leisurely existence in a 430.
The LS drivetrain, engine transmission and cooling system, are all extremely over engineered for the car.
So much so I'd be skeptical an additional trans. cooler would even produce a noticeable effect,
Why do you feel a need for additional trans cooling?
That's the response I was looking for! I don't have a need, I was just curious about why the product even existed. After the seller told me it was common I wanted to here what everyone else had to say. The case is now closed 🤓
bradland (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 09:14 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by manualdr5
I have had 5-6 430's over the years and that has never happened at all, I have had 3 alternators go out that is the only "issue" my cars have ever had. Seller is misinformed or trying to hide something.

The only reason to increase cooling is for forced induction or a NA built motor, as stated above everything on these cars is over engineered.
manualdr5 (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 03:00 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 218 Posts

The OEM trans-cooler is in the bottom of the radiator.
There is a well documented issue where they rust through allowing trans-fluid and coolant to mix. This WILL kill your transmission.
Recommended is to replace the radiator every 100,000 miles (or so) or to fit a separate trans-cooler like the OP showed.
You will not "overcool" the transmission with a separate cooler unless you drive in Arctic temperatures.
Old 03-11-24, 06:07 AM
manualdr5
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
The OEM trans-cooler is in the bottom of the radiator.
There is a well documented issue where they rust through allowing trans-fluid and coolant to mix. This WILL kill your transmission.
Recommended is to replace the radiator every 100,000 miles (or so) or to fit a separate trans-cooler like the OP showed.
You will not "overcool" the transmission with a separate cooler unless you drive in Arctic temperatures.
Also this product isn't the only one on the market, there's also Mishimoto that offers an external trans cooler. Please share the documentation you are referring too. I still have my doubts on how common it is, especially for LS's that spend all their time out of the "rust belt" region. Either way I'm finding this topic interesting please share what you have, thanks.
Old 03-11-24, 08:57 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts

it is possible for the transmission oil cooler to fail and mix the antifreeze / transmission fluid (which will immediately kill the transmission) but it is a rarely reported failure.
Old 03-11-24, 12:26 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a transmission cooler on my old gs430, I didn't notice anything different. But yes, it's a waste of money, just make sure your OEM cooler is in good condition. Unless your track or live in the desert I don't think you need one. It's not like we're pushing high HP.