LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Daizen Rack Bushings trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 12:06 PM
dumped430
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Daizen Rack Bushings trouble...

So I've recently taken some time to get around and install the daizen steering rack bushings but have been having some major issues since. My initial install was certainly wrong as an additional inch of the mounting spline was left hanging out of the nut/washer as I didn't consider the original length and was unable to find the torque spec at the time. Upon the steering getting real sketchy on a drive home I proceeded to revisit the bushings and tighten the spline until 25lbft but was still left with about a 1/2 inch of thread excessive to the nut. A week goes by - steering all of a sudden gets real sketchy again and I go back to tighten it but notice the nut is not quite as tight on the spline as before (still considerable, but not the recommended 87 ftlb) so I tightened the shaft some more it until where maybe 2-3 threads poke out when the nut is also tight. Once again, another week later and today I am feeling the looseness return and although I plan to return today and tighten the studs until no more threads peak, I am not 100% sure if this will correct my issue or if something else could be going on?

Any advice is appreciated, stud is highlighted green in the attached parts diagram photo

Old 03-14-24, 12:21 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Did you install the bushing sleeves on the studs?
Old 03-14-24, 12:25 PM
dumped430
10th Gear

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Did you install the bushing sleeves on the studs?
​​​​​
Bushing sleeves were installed while the stud was out and then screwed in afterwards, does this make any difference than installing it while stud is still in?
Old 03-14-24, 01:28 PM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by dumped430
So I've recently taken some time to get around and install the daizen steering rack bushings but have been having some major issues since. My initial install was certainly wrong as an additional inch of the mounting spline was left hanging out of the nut/washer as I didn't consider the original length and was unable to find the torque spec at the time. Upon the steering getting real sketchy on a drive home I proceeded to revisit the bushings and tighten the spline until 25lbft but was still left with about a 1/2 inch of thread excessive to the nut. A week goes by - steering all of a sudden gets real sketchy again and I go back to tighten it but notice the nut is not quite as tight on the spline as before (still considerable, but not the recommended 87 ftlb) so I tightened the shaft some more it until where maybe 2-3 threads poke out when the nut is also tight. Once again, another week later and today I am feeling the looseness return and although I plan to return today and tighten the studs until no more threads peak, I am not 100% sure if this will correct my issue or if something else could be going on?

Any advice is appreciated, stud is highlighted green in the attached parts diagram photo
This diagram is not an LS430 steering rack. The stud part number is the same though.
Is there more to this or were you just using this diagram as an example..?
Old 03-14-24, 01:42 PM
dumped430
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bradland
This diagram is not an LS430 steering rack. The stud part number is the same though.
Is there more to this or were you just using this diagram as an example..?
I was simply using that as an example as the bolt was already highlighted in the image and was the only rack I could find with an identical mounting style that showed everything. Here is the LS430 rack, though you can probably still understand most of what I am trying to imply from the other image

Old 03-14-24, 02:45 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

​​​​​
Bushing sleeves were installed while the stud was out and then screwed in afterwards, does this make any difference than installing it while stud is still in?
It shouldn't. If everything was installed correctly, I'm not sure why the nut is getting loose unless the threads are stripped. Can you post a picture of the bushings?
Old 03-16-24, 05:33 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

During or after the install was there a possibility that the steering rack adjustment bolt was touched?