Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pics, awesome LS430!!!
Are you getting a kit too?
Old 11-17-03, 11:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh gewe21 your Lexi look stunning with those wheels!
Your SLR-grade cameras just make the pics sweeter. The first two pics look as if they were official from WALD.

I do agree though that you need to get some kit to make the big wheels look "more right" on the car.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-17-03 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-17-03, 11:15 AM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks again, guys...

Thanks again, guys. I'd also like to get a set of bodykit, but looks like it ain't gonna happen soon. I need some "financial recovery time", plus I've got one big event coming and have to start saving. But we'll see if I can persuade someone into buying me the bodykit (hint: not the wife... don't have one YET)
Old 11-17-03, 11:51 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D

The Silver LS looks awsome!
Old 11-17-03, 12:35 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

That is one good looking LS, the wheels is perfect for that car.
Old 11-17-03, 05:28 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beautiful cars .

Those cameras mean business, not many people have digital SLRs. Are you a professional photographer George? Just wondering.
Old 11-17-03, 06:03 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Earl!: nope, the thought of being one crossed my mind though. I'm just, or WAS, doing it for hobby, up until I knew this forum. But I don't regret it, people in this forum are much much much friendlier than in most camera forums.

Last edited by gewe21; 11-17-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 06:05 PM
LexusLad
Driver School Candidate

Great JOB!!

Now, you need to give us all a blow by blow on exactly what, when, where amd how you pulled it off. I'm looking to do the exact same thing on a black '03 LS 430 (custom lux). The dish wheels by Wald look like they came on the car and the lowering looks just right as well. How 'bout I just ask some particular questions that I'm am looking to answer. I'm sure several other LS owners would like to know as well, after seeing what their LS COULD look like! Here it goes.

1. How many inches did you lower the car (it looks perfect, not too low and not too high)?

2. Are you pleased with the performance of the Teins?

3. How much did you fork over for the suspension hardware and installation?

4, What setting do you like best on the Teins?

5. HOW'S THE RIDE, any bottoming out or rubbing?

6. How much did you fork over for the wheels, tires and installation?

7. How long did the whole procees take?

8. Any additional information about the whole process and the do's and don'ts would be appreciated?
Old 11-17-03, 06:32 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Default WHOA....

not that's a long list of questions. I'll try to answer them, and hopefully (please forgive me if I say something wrong) I don't offend anyone.

1. I did not really measure. The car has been lower / "rice-style-slammed", but always rub wherever I go, so I decided to raise it up a little. The current settings, basically I'm getting rid of ALL the fender gap, which means that it is lowered ~ 2-2.6 inches. Currently, the top of the wheel is flush with the fender arch.

2. Frankly speaking, my brother's Sportdesign GS handles better with Espelir springs & L-tuned shocks, especially in cornering; it rides harsher trough bumps though. With stock wheels, the Tein rides quite nice, but now w/ 20" I'd say most the comfort is gone. So, I'd say Tein is OK.

3. Tein CS + EDFC was around $1.6k. Installation was done by a friend (car enthusiast, not a shop).

4. Have not really found one yet. I usually set it at 0 (most comfy setting), but sometimes I crank it up to 15 when taking sharp turns / winding roads.

5. So far so good with the height settings and the wheel size & offset. I know my limits though, so there are places that I don't even bother trying to drive / go through (certain ramps to stores/malls, one of the entrance to my apartment garage).

6. Tires + install = $1175 @ Big Bear Tires, Oconomowoc, WI. Suspension alignment & corner balancing @ $90 (worst case scenario is ~$160 according to shop owner)

7. Tire install + suspension alignment ~ 5 hrs (I left the car overnight @ store). Suspension install ~ 5 hrs, mostly because the installer has ever done LS430 before.

8. Contrary to the GS, in which you access the rear suspension mount through the trunk, with LS it is done through the back seats. So to install the rear suspension, you have to remove the rear seats. Hence, adjusting the damper settings for rear suspensions manually will be a major PITA. If funding is generous, I'd highly recommend EDFC. Also, I believe suspension swap cannot be done on LS430 with Ultra Luxury / air suspension packages.
One more thing. Don't expect any comfort ride with 20". Part of me felt very very sorry for losing the comfy & luxurious ride quality of the LS. 20" means that you will feel even the small bumps & road irregularities. No more speeding: you must drive slowly & carefully not to run /drive over big bumps & potholes. Some places might not be accessible for you. That's a price you have to pay for getting the look. If you asked me if I would do this again, the answer is a definite NO, so please consider this carefully.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gewe21; 11-17-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 07:13 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

That LS is OFF THE HOOK!!!
Nice job George!!

Last edited by Methodical; 11-17-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 08:00 PM
LexusLad
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed response! I can't beleive your last comment though. You really wouldn't do it again? WOW. With that in mind, how FAR would you go to have a good balance between "the look" and a great ride?

For instance, would you go with 19" wheels (for alittle bit better ride) and the Eibach springs with stock shocks, which I have read on this very forum would drop the car between 1" to 1.5"? Would that be a better solution, as well as alot more inexpensive? Or maybe the car would still look pretty much the same. I don't know. Alls I know, is your ride looks AMAZING, but if you can't drive it where you want, then I should probably not take my MOD so far. I do want to maintain at least 75% of the ride comfort, but then again the LS is so comfy to begin with, maybe there is more room to move (lower, I mean). 75% of a LS's ride would be 110% of an S500, right?

Sorry, just more and more questions. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

LL
Old 11-17-03, 09:33 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusLad

For instance, would you go with 19" wheels (for alittle bit better ride) and the Eibach springs with stock shocks, which I have read on this very forum would drop the car between 1" to 1.5"? Would that be a better solution, as well as alot more inexpensive? Or maybe the car would still look pretty much the same. I don't know. Alls I know, is your ride looks AMAZING, but if you can't drive it where you want, then I should probably not take my MOD so far. I do want to maintain at least 75% of the ride comfort, but then again the LS is so comfy to begin with, maybe there is more room to move (lower, I mean). 75% of a LS's ride would be 110% of an S500, right?

Sorry, just more and more questions. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

LL
With the eibach spring, you won't get th eaggressive look that his LS have; it wouldn't look pretty much the same as stock, but it doesn't look too agressive (see the black GS that drops 1.5" -- compared to the LS more than 2")
FYI, if I were you, when you lower your car, you might want to consider a sport shocks as well considering many bumps and pot holes in mid west..
Also, he doesn't mean that he couldn't drive whereever he wants.. he could, but he just has to be more careful with potholes..
Lastly, IMO, S500 ride is better than his modded LS.. ... so, looks or rides quality?
Old 11-17-03, 09:35 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

props to my broher .. I can't believe it that the wheels would match perfectly with the car.. Classsy!!!
Old 11-17-03, 10:14 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, your LS is really beautiful!!! Great choice on the rims!!! Can't wait to get an LS430 for myself.
Old 11-17-03, 10:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! I am not usually a fan of this tyoe of wheel. I like them more open (for the brake upgrades ) but on the LS, this looks perfect. Congrats.

Quick Reply: JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D