LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 11:27 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The color of your car and the wheels makes it a perfect match.
Old 11-18-03, 03:42 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

LexusLad: I'm not sure. I don't think there's a good balance. Best case scenario would be to have two cars: one a sporty / fully modified car, and another is the super comfy limo (you can also add a truck / SUV if you have enough budget). Well, I only have one car here, and I wanted it to look nice / "extreme" so I chose 20". Less than that may look good, but wouldn't be a head turner. I knew that 20" would kill the ride, and I thought I can live with that. Well... I can. But if I have to do it again.... maybe not. Things may change though.

I talked w/ some friends (also car enthusiasts) and read / review some japanese VIP magazines as well as looking at pictures on websites. In general, if you want to use 18" or 19", you have to lower it even more to look nice. At least this is usually what people do.

Originally I wanted to go "Eibach" way. Some people recommend it, some people don't, saying that this will shorten the life of stock shocks. I don't want to ruin anything on the car, including my stock shocks. So I tried searching for aftermarket sport shocks for LS430 (hopeful for Bilstein, b/c I hear those are "perfect match") but couldn't find any. Hence I went with coilover, which alone isn't too bad. It is the 20" that kills the ride.

I'd say if I drive careful enough, I can still go to 80-90% of the places. I just need to drive the car more carefully. 75% LS comfort = 110% S500 ? I'm not too sure. I loved Benz, including how they design the suspension, but don't have much experience with S-classes.
Where in IL are you ? If you are very curious, I don't mind setting up a meet and let you assess my car's ride. You'd be the judge, no more what ifs . Although not too often, I do visit Chicago sometimes.
Old 11-18-03, 07:12 PM
LexusLad
Driver School Candidate

Thanks yet again for the great response, gewe21!

You really nailed it on the head. I'm looking for the coolest looking, best riding LS 430 on the planet. OK, maybe not the planet, but at least Illinois. OK, maybe not all of Illinois, but at least Chicagoland. OK, maybe not all of Chicagoland, but at least the western burbs!

The thing that bugs me the most about the LS's design, is the monsterous gap between the top of the tire and the fender. With the 17" chromes on the car and that massive gap, my wife thinks the car is just too "old" for me. I was 2 months old when President Kennedy was shot, to give you a hint. For those of you that aren't even old enough to know when that happened, it will be 40 years in 4 days.

Enough about history, and back to the task at hand, which is how to make the LS look sportier without giving up too much of the amazing ride. I'm trying to figure out exactly how much you lowered your LS and if I lowered mine, say 3/4 inch less than you, if that would make the car look ALMOST as cool as yours, which I think would be just fine with me? If you dropped your car 2 inches and I went the Eibach route, and dropped mine 1 1/4 inches, that might look pretty good. The 20" tires have the same diameter as the 19", and for that matter the 18" and the 17", so the tire size shouldn't matter all that much.

So in review, this is what I'm thinking:

1. Buy Eibach springs for $300 and have them installed for another $250 and use the stock shocks until they fail (which could be for 5 years or so)

2. Buy Lock Smice "Duke" 19" wheels for about $3,750 from Japan (see attached photo)

3. Buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/V, probably 255/40 YR 19" tires, all 'round, from Tire Rack for another $1,228 plus shipping and installation of another $200. I realize that the smaller front and larger back tires/wheels are more aggressive, but there is something to be said for the all season solution as well.

What is your opinion of my plan? Will the car look ALMOST as aggressive as yours, or am I just wishful thinking. Maybe I should put it another way. If your car is a 9 out of 10 on the aggressive (or sporty) look, and the stock LS with 17" chromes is a 2 out of 10 with respect to aggressiveness, where would my plan outlined above be? If you answer 6 or 7, I think I can live with that. The other consideration, of course, is: will the amazing ride still be evident with the plan above, or will it ride like a one ton pickup truck?

BTW, I live in Hinsdale, Illinois and if your game, I'd love to feel the ride and study your LS up close. Thanks for the offer. just let me know if your going to be in the area or I can take a road trip as well. Either way. It's up to you.

Attached Thumbnails JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D-polishedduke.jpg  
Old 11-18-03, 07:43 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Your choice of wheels, the LS Duke looks nice. Hmm... that wheels, 19" all around + Eibach... on a black LS... definitely WON'T be a 6. Eibach is not that bad, it will definitely sit lower than stock, but you will still have fender gap, although much better / reduced. I'm not too sure about ride quality, have no previous experience with Eibach. The body color & wheel combo, most likely I will give 7.5, if not an 8. Honestly.

There is one more possible solution. My bro's GS is riding Espelir shocks, which has exactly stock spring rate but drops it ~1.6". His GS now rides lower but still maintains exactly it's stock ride characteritic. If you want to retain smooth ride, this might be an option. The bad news is that Espelir's drop on an LS is only 1", while Eibach offers 1.25" - 1.5" (all according to manuf. specs). Just giving you another option.
Old 11-18-03, 07:55 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Is this the look you're going after ? I think it looks very nice, but it needs to be this low . Sorry, don't mean to step on your toe, but just can't help myself.

Last edited by gewe21; 11-18-03 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 08:07 PM
LexusLad
Driver School Candidate

I like the attached photo quite a bit. It seems like a good balance between fluffy and aggressive. What's your opinion?

LL
Attached Thumbnails JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D-needs-to-be-dropped.jpg  
Old 11-18-03, 08:13 PM
LexusLad
Driver School Candidate

The last photo I posted looks like it has been lowered about an inch. Look about right to you? Or is it more? I'm not sure if the wheels are 20's or 19's, but what's and inch between friends? I guess it depends if it's the only inch or if there is more. At least that's what my first girl friend said! LOL Sorry, I got sided tracked there. In conclusion, I'd say if I can get to within 1/2" of the photo I just posted, then I there!

LL
Old 11-18-03, 08:27 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusLad
The last photo I posted looks like it has been lowered about an inch. Look about right to you? Or is it more? I'm not sure if the wheels are 20's or 19's, but what's and inch between friends? I guess it depends if it's the only inch or if there is more. At least that's what my first girl friend said! LOL Sorry, I got sided tracked there. In conclusion, I'd say if I can get to within 1/2" of the photo I just posted, then I there!

LL
Why dya wait too long then? Make it... Order the rims tomorrow!!!
In Black LS.. the fender gap wouldn't be really noticeable whether it's lowered 1.5" or 2", since they are all dark there.. your LS, fender, and the tire.. thus, Go for it!!!!
Old 11-25-03, 06:42 PM
alister
Pole Position

George,

The wheels looks amazing as does your car. As your previous responses have answered all but one question, I had to ask if there was anything special you did to take those pics aside from using top-grade photography equipment? I take 6MP photos on my Fuji and while they look better than any I've taken in my past they don't look anything near that first side profile you posted. It really does look like a WALD catalog photo. I've been experimenting a lot lately with manual settings and I'm coming along but I'm always looking for good information. Thanks.

ken
Old 11-26-03, 09:19 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D

gewe21

That is one clean Lexus. There is soo much simplicity and elegance to your car, good job!

You know how one rarely sees a LS with 19s or 20s like you would readily see a BMW 760 or MB S-Class
well, that used to have me wondering, was the LS not hip enough or to humdrum for others to supprort it?? Then you came along!

Again, nice car........and keep the pics coming.

Sheldon.
Old 11-26-03, 09:45 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The silver LS 430 looks hot with the rims and suspension upgrades. IMO, a body kit is not necessary to make it look better...
Old 11-26-03, 10:10 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the person above,the car already looks nice with the drop and wheels no need to add the body kit. But a WALD kit would look nice though
Old 11-26-03, 01:56 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Thanks for the comments. Let's just say the mods is quite typical Indonesian style: slammed / extreme lowering, huge rims, and nothing else :P I know my lowering is not too extreme tho.

For Ken: I used aperture priority, mainly to fine tune the sweet spot on the lens sharpness and also somewhat limit the depth of field. I used auto white balance, which usually worked fine on the Fuji. Other than that, I believe it was just auto contrast and auto level on Photoshop (these are NOT recommended by the hardcore photographers, but for me they worked OK; not yet a big fan of curve adjustment), a little unsharp masking if needed, and resizing.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-03, 03:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

My take: While I enjoy seeing a radically dropepd car, I like a conservative lowering with nice wheels. Simply from the standpoint that it is driveable without worry of ruining the under carriage or kinking a wheel.
Old 11-26-03, 10:04 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Nice rims and I really like the rear camber.

Quick Reply: JDM VIP, Wisconsin-style :D