LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 Lexus LS430 1 owner with 75K miles. should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 07:20 PM
neonc82
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus LS430 1 owner with 75K miles. should I buy it?

So I have been in the market for a Lexus LS430 and I came across a listing in my local area by an individual. They have a 2002 LS430 Base model in silver with black interior with 75K miles. . It was owned by and older woman who bought it knew. I plugged in the VIN into Lexus owner website and it shows that the car every 3 month or 1500 miles went into the same Lexus dealer its whole life for maintenance. It has had its fluids changed multiple times, Timing belt service done 9 years ago @ 60k miles. The car is in showroom condition!!! The seller is asking $12,500. Ive don't a lot of research and it seams that the price might be slightly high? I would like advice on price to pay for this car and if it is something I should jump into. I would use this car for a 20 mile trip to work everyday, I also own a 2017 Lexus RX350 that I love! Give me your feedback please.

Last edited by neonc82; 04-21-24 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 04-20-24, 09:53 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts

yes.. do it
Old 04-20-24, 10:57 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hate to say it, but timing belt is due based on age. $12500 for a 2002 seems high, and are you ok with a pre-facelift model? I think you need to examine / test drive the car. Is tilt motor / telescope motor working, mirrors fold and adjust, et? all door locks, no leaks? Have spark plugs ever been done on as 23+ year old car? accessory belt? coolant? diff fluid? brake fluid? power steering fluid? Tires are not dry rotted? 12500 is high. But it the car is super-immaculate, truly nearly new AND it passes a pre-purchase inspection, its low mileage would tempt me. I don't know the market that well, but I'd prefer a 2006 just to have 5 years off. Also is it a trim level you like? Is Nav functional and radio (if it has nav?<) a Also, test drive it! Make sure it is smooth and has good, straight steering at highway speeds, etc. Test radio, trunk struts, etc. Know what you are getting into as much s possible. Compare to others, but if truly showroom condition, the miles are great. I'd pay a premium for that, but you certainly are, so be sure there are no existing problems or deferred/overdue maintenance, such as spark plugs or timing belt.. At least it's not a 30k UL like people were talking about recently. if showroom condition and mechnicals are close, it could be a great car, worth more than average.
Old 04-21-24, 03:54 AM
Freddy12
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by neonc82
So I have been in the market for a Lexus LS430 and I came across a listing in my local area by an individual. They have a 2002 LS430 Base model in silver with black interior with 75K miles. . It was owned by and older woman who bought it knew. I plugged in the VIN into Lexus owner website and it shows that the car every 3 month or 1500 miles went into the same Lexus dealer its whole life for maintenance. It has had its fluids changed multiple times, Timing belt service done 9 years ago @ 60k miles. The car is in showroom condition!!! The seller is asking $12,500. Ive don't a lot of research and it seams that the price might be slightly high? I would like advice on price to pay for this car and if it is something I should jump into. I would use this car for a 20 mile trip to work everyday, I also own a 2017 Lexus RX35 that I love! Give me your feedback please.
If it's any help,I paid CAD$12000 for the same year and color,with 129000 km and have never looked back . Also very well maintained. That was in September 2020 and I daresay would be more now. Your mileage is lower and with service history I would say go for it! Keep us posted!
The following users liked this post:
neonc82 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 04:58 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Go drive it, see how it feels and compared with your 2017 RX. I think you'll find that while the LS430 is a great car, it probably won't be as comfortable, compliant, or feature rich as your RX. I always recommend people drive a car when you are serious about it (and you are because your posting on a Lexus forum :P). You don't have to buy something just because you've driven it. Just be open with the seller/dealer that your curious and may want to buy, but want to compare with your current daily. No one on here is going to be able to tell you what the right choice is.
neonc82 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 07:11 AM
neonc82
4th Gear

Originally Posted by demark1
Hate to say it, but timing belt is due based on age. $12500 for a 2002 seems high, and are you ok with a pre-facelift model? I think you need to examine / test drive the car. Is tilt motor / telescope motor working, mirrors fold and adjust, et? all door locks, no leaks? Have spark plugs ever been done on as 23+ year old car? accessory belt? coolant? diff fluid? brake fluid? power steering fluid? Tires are not dry rotted? 12500 is high. But it the car is super-immaculate, truly nearly new AND it passes a pre-purchase inspection, its low mileage would tempt me. I don't know the market that well, but I'd prefer a 2006 just to have 5 years off. Also is it a trim level you like? Is Nav functional and radio (if it has nav?< a Also, test drive it! Make sure it is smooth and has good, straight steering at highway speeds, etc. Test radio, trunk struts, etc. Know what you are getting into as much s possible. Compare to others, but if truly showroom condition, the miles are great. I'd pay a premium for that, but you certainly are, so be sure there are no existing problems or deferred/overdue maintenance, such as spark plugs or timing belt.. At least it's not a 30k UL like people were talking about recently. if showroom condition and mechnicals are close, it could be a great car, worth more than average.

It doesn’t have the ML sounds system or Navigation as that is perfectly fine with me because I’ve read that those options tended to cause problems as well as the navigation would be outdated these days. Every fluid in the vehicle has been changed and flushed 3 times over according to the Lexus maintenance history I pulled on it. The timing belt is due now because of age no mileage. It’s been done before at 60k miles. Spark plugs have been done as well once. I will go look at it and drive it but I just feel like the price is high for a preface lift model. I’ve looked up valuations, checked the market and had my insurance company quote me what they think it’s worth. Just hard as the vehicle is a unicorn somewhat with the way it’s been cared for, condition, mileage but I still don’t want to over pay. I’m grateful for your input and help!
Old 04-21-24, 08:15 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

The price is NOT high for a car in the condition you describe - at all. I'd say look at it, drive it, and inspect it carefully, and buy it at that price if it checks out.. The timing belt may be due by the book at 9 years but it very likely has a lot more life in it (my LS400 had a 25 year old 146,000 mile timing belt on it when I bought it).
neonc82 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 08:29 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dan25man
Go drive it, see how it feels and compared with your 2017 RX. I think you'll find that while the LS430 is a great car, it probably won't be as comfortable, compliant, or feature rich as your RX. I always recommend people drive a car when you are serious about it (and you are because your posting on a Lexus forum :P). You don't have to buy something just because you've driven it. Just be open with the seller/dealer that your curious and may want to buy, but want to compare with your current daily. No one on here is going to be able to tell you what the right choice is.
I have had an RX as a loaner, both a 2019 and a 2024. I prefer my LS430 as a local get-around-town car. The RX was much newer and frankly felt tighter (in a good way) as a much newer car should. I hated the touchpad on the older one, but that is finally resolved in the 2024. And it was a great interior on the newer one. Any my LS has a couple of issues (slight wobble in wheel at 60mph when cold, etc.)

Overall, I did not like the older RX but really did like the newer one (once I learned how to not be trapped inside by the pushbutton door!), even if it felt almost "over-teched". And going back my LS, the biggest negative was the lower seating position. I got used to being up high, and the seats overall were really supportive on the new RX. But the LS engine is so smooth compared to the new turbo 4 cylinder (only under acceleration)! The RX was probably, surprisingly, quieter at cruise. But the fancier Nav was really not much more functional than mine. I could not even figure out how to display POI icons on the map: I could just search by name and see a list.

Overall, the newest RX is the first recent Lexus I would buy. I would not by a touchpad version from prior years. It is really nice, and a nicer interior IMO than the newer ES or some other models I have driven. But except for SUV space need, I am very content with my much older LS430, which still has amazing interior quality I have adaptive cruise on my LS, and most of the other tech feature (blind spot monitoring etc.) I do not need or particularly want with good visibility on the LS.

By the way, the RX I had had very good headlights, but I adore my adaptive lights on the LS for seeing in curves and turns. They are the widest headlight beam I've ever driven, and the AFS is fantastic.

LS430 does not have heated steering wheel, automatic high beams, brake hold. And only basic bluetooth at least in 2004+. Also I do like the emergency braking safety features on the newer vehicle (my adaptive cruise has a very limited version of that). The newer RX is really nice and I would be very happy once I got used to it (crazy electronic door opening switches, etc.) But my LS, while not cosmetically or mechanically quite flawless, holds its own in stereo, ride quality, smoothness, etc. I would say the RX had better seats for my lower back, except the seat bottom was a bit short and mine at lest did not have an extender option. But that is comparing to my 19 year old LS, an I'm sure my seat is not in original supportive state.

All this to say, don't expect a modern car interior or a high seat position, but if your LS has comfortable seats, nice condition interior, and the features you want (I like nav), it is not lacking, and in some ways is still smoother. I enjoy driving it as a daily driver. I have had other cars a rentals or loaners, but no other just makes me go "ahhhh" when I drive it. Volvos, other Lexuses, etc. The newest RX might grow on me the same way over time, but I am not so sure. I imagine that's what Mercedes S-class drivers get (I mean, that is a beautiful car), but I'm not sure how many last 20 years and I'm not about to to buy a new one every 3 years. There is no sign that my LS will start having any big reliability problems any time soon. That does not mean never a repair, but the drivetrain seems fairly basic, but is just great. The only time it ever left me stranded/needed towing was a dead alternator around 150k (and twice, a dead battery needed a jump). (BTW, don't expect great mileage: 19 mpg mixed for me.)

You got me rambling, There is just something special about the LS as a whole, integrated package. You may love it. I love mine. I've owned it 15 years and could see owning it 15 more if parts remain available.
Freddy12 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 09:45 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if you dont buy it, someone else will.
Old 04-21-24, 11:55 AM
LateNyta
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I see 2005-2006 go for that price with similar mileage around me. I wouldn't pay that for an 02.
neonc82 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 02:47 PM
neonc82
4th Gear

I agree with you in regards to not having the ML sound system or the Navigation. I am just looking for Lexus comfort and quality I have come to love. Just never been in the market one of this vintage haha. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-21-24, 02:48 PM
neonc82
4th Gear

Haha is'nt that the truth! The owner is out of town so haven't had a chance to go look at it or drive it yet.
Old 04-22-24, 01:47 PM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dan25man

On what planet is an LS430 less compliant or comfortable than an RX? That's crazy talk.
Old 04-22-24, 10:45 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slightreturn
On what planet is an LS430 less compliant or comfortable than an RX? That's crazy talk.
As per my reply above, I recently had a 2024 RX as a loaner. It was very nice. Don't forget the LS is 18-23 years old. My 2005 LS ultra lux / 160k miles seat is not as good as it was (back support and angle of bottom reaching the back). The suspension is not new. I've had am ES350 loaner (several years ago) and was not impressed. But the RX (2024 version at least) was terrific except for some Nav quirks and door lock quirks and the engine note under acceleration. And it had good headlights and visibility with the large mirrors. I have not driven the LS500, but the RX should not be minimized. I mean, I love my power seat belts, flip-out door storage, etc on my LS. I am not saying the RX is in the same "league" as my LS in leather content, etc. But it was an awfully nice and felt easy to drive. And overall felt very quiet and a good ride. Add in the age difference even for a fairly well maintained LS, and the RX is very nice. The LS is very smooth but at least on mine bumps are not always absorbed without a kind of heavy feeling. The RX drove very, very well. Not enough to get me to change my vehicle, but to consider it someday if I need an SUV/crossover.
Old 04-23-24, 06:39 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

If the car is an exceptional example, the clock is ticking as the word has been out for quite some time on the LS430’s reputation.

Quick Reply: 2002 Lexus LS430 1 owner with 75K miles. should I buy it?