LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake kit recommendation -- 2001 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24 | 12:51 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Default Brake kit recommendation -- 2001 LS430

My wife's 2001 LS430 is probably in need of having the brakes and rotors replaced. The sensors have not yet alerted me, but they feel a bit soft and the mileage would suggest it's time.

I have a local mechanic that I trust -- and he allows me to supply parts that I can often get cheaper than he can.

Any recommendations of rotors and pads -- sensors too.

Thanks,
-gene
Old 04-23-24 | 07:01 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

This is all gonna be opinions and biases, but I myself am a fan of Advics rotors with Akebono pads.

Not sure on the sensors, I haven't had to address those yet. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
Old 04-23-24 | 07:08 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Why not Lexus parts? Rotors lasted me ages... got new pads and kept rotors through several pad changes without an issue at dealer, and I've never had to replace sensors. Not saying you don't need rotors, and my brake pad life has not been stellar (maybe I should let it eat through the sensor!)
Old 04-23-24 | 07:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus rotors from this era are high quality if they're in good shape keep using em. If going aftermarket R1 Concept rotors are awesome
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

Pair them with Akebono ProACT you'll have improved braking and the rotors look nice as well.
Old 04-24-24 | 06:02 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
I took a look at RockAuto and found the following:
More Information for POWER STOP CRK4462 (rockauto.com)
Seems like an excellent value since everything is included and it meets OEM standards.
-gene
Old 04-24-24 | 10:08 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

I have heard a lot of people say good things about PowerStop brakes, but we have a set of PowerStop pads and rotors on my Wife's 2015 Camaro, and although they seem fine and dandy 95% of the time, even with the proper burnishing procedure when new, they SQUEAL like a banshee when braking slowly in reverse!

Might be that particular performance line of them, but even with all new caliper bolts, pins, and hardware, they are really the only set I have seen that make that much noise from the hundreds I have installed over the years.
Old 04-24-24 | 11:00 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I have heard a lot of people say good things about PowerStop brakes, but we have a set of PowerStop pads and rotors on my Wife's 2015 Camaro, and although they seem fine and dandy 95% of the time, even with the proper burnishing procedure when new, they SQUEAL like a banshee when braking slowly in reverse!

Might be that particular performance line of them, but even with all new caliper bolts, pins, and hardware, they are really the only set I have seen that make that much noise from the hundreds I have installed over the years.
I have also had a good experience with PowerStop brake kits. I run them on all of my cars. Yeah, on my Subaru Forester they'll squeal in reverse int he morning, but once they make a rotation they are good. For some reason they don't doo that on my other cars. Maybe I didn't bed them all of the way.

OP, did you do the brake fluid recently? Squishiness is more a brake fluid thing than a pad/rotor combo. If you've not done it in a while I'd do a full brake flush/bleed first...No reason to throw away good pads/rotors.
Old 04-24-24 | 11:23 AM
bradland

Originally Posted by mcgene
Any recommendations of rotors and pads -- sensors too.
Sensors are a luxury not a necessity. If it hasn't been compromised yet, aka lit up on the dash, it can be reused.
RA does sell them at a reasonable price though, it's just a simple wire.

Rotors can also be resurfaced and don't have to be replaced if they are still thick enough.
Old 04-24-24 | 11:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I will never buy PowerStop pads again same experience I hated the squeal. No thanks.

Geoment coated rotors did not hold up well for me they rusted after 1 year and the coating likes to gall up on the pads.
The following users liked this post:
YoshiMan (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24 | 06:41 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

I replaced the pads multiple times on my wife’s IS F-sport multiple times because they always squealed. Come to find out it was because OEM were semi-metallic. Replaced the pads and rotors with Power Stop ceramic about a year ago and they’ve been great ever since. No squeal, very minimal dust, stops great, and decently priced. I recommend Power Stop to anyone.
Old 05-04-24 | 08:30 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

It's real easy to know when to replace pads. Take off your wheel, look at the pads, if there is 2mm or less, replace them. OEM pads works fine but require proper grease placement on the multiple layers of anti-squeal shims - see the videos on grease and shims at https://www.youtube.com/@toyotacompl...cec8703/videos. Akebono and Advics pads work great too, and have pre-installed shims, I've used Akebono for many years now, just switched to Advics on my most recent change, no noticeable difference, maybe very marginally improved bite. Don't throw away the OEM shims, those few pieces of metal will cost you if you ever go back to OEM.

It's also real easy to know when to resurface/replace rotors. If the front (or back) of the car wobbles when you brake on the highway, your front (or back) rotors are not rolling true. If your brake pedal pulsates upon braking, and the front doesn't wobble, then your rear rotors need replacing. Proper installation is very important - buy something like the AME INTL 37330 Hub Buddy Surface and Stud Cleaner Pad so you can clean all mating surfaces very well, and buy a runout dial gauge like https://accusizetools.com/products/p...742bdf09&_ss=r - you have 5 studs and therefore 5 options of placement of rotor onto studs, use the gauge to measure the runout on each of the 5 positions and select the position with lowest runout.

If your pedal is squishy, see my beautiful summary of the causes at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9850497

Finally, the Speedibleed tool makes it extremely easy to flush and bleed brake fluid, I highly recommend it.
Old 05-05-24 | 05:45 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

You get brake squeal when you do not use the type of pad the manufacturer recommends ceramic, semi-metalic, etc. I have always used ceramic pads with out any issues on my 430. Powerstop is a great brand a lot of LX570/land cruiser guys/gals use them. If they can stop a 6000lb truck fine they will be able to stop the 430. Just make sure the pad and rotor set matches so the pads are not bigger than the rotor and wear with a lip at the end.

This is just my opinion but after using r1 concepts pads and rotors, I personally feel like there overpriced junk. I had very bad pulsating when braking due to the rotors being warped at 8000-10,000 miles. Also another thing I observed was they are much more heavier than other rotors leading me to believe they have more iron in them, which leads them to retain heat more. This is probably what leads to the premature warping of the rotors.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 05-05-24 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-05-24 | 06:22 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Again, many thanks to all who have shared recommendations and experiences. I will be getting the oil changed soon and plan to have my mechanic check the brakes. He's agreed to allow me to purchase the kit and simply pay him for the labor to do the install.
I'll update this (assuming others actually care)
-gene