LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Does anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24 | 07:00 PM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Default Does anyone know what this is?

I recently purchased a 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury. I noticed that on either side of the subwoofer there are two plastic pieces which look like speaker grilles. (See attached photos.). I had thought that perhaps the owner did an aftermarket speaker install, so I popped the grilles off with a pry tool yesterday and they are not speakers. Each piece has a small "hole" which does not seem to go into the trunk itself. The right side has a piece attached to it which says "4G" and is connected to two wires leading to the interior of the cavity. I don't understand the function of any of this. Doing a bit of searching online, I saw photos and videos the same pieces on pre-face lift LS430's but none on the post-face lift models.

The part number of the "grille" on the driver's side is 64339-50030. I googled this and found out that it's something called "Garnish, Package Tray Trim, LH", but I couldn't find any more info. Does anyone know what purpose this has? And does anyone know the part number or name/function of the electronic component?

Old 05-14-24 | 07:12 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

must be something very specific to the UL version
Old 05-14-24 | 08:09 PM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Originally Posted by weldthedif
must be something very specific to the UL version
You might be right. If anyone else with a UL could check and post whether or not they have these components, that would be appreciated. I'm particularly interested in the electronic component.
Old 05-15-24 | 01:00 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

They are vents for the Rear Air Conditioning. Not sure if they are air intakes or will blow air out.

The thingum looks like some kind of sensor, probably a "Solar radiation sensor"
I have a UL and it does not have that fitted to the Rear Air Con vent but it may be fitted to US cars due to y'all living much further south in all that heat.
They are used to estimate the effect of solar heating on the car and to adjust the air-con accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
FelixBabakuntos (05-20-24)
Old 05-15-24 | 08:35 AM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
They are vents for the Rear Air Conditioning. Not sure if they are air intakes or will blow air out.

The thingum looks like some kind of sensor, probably a "Solar radiation sensor"
I have a UL and it does not have that fitted to the Rear Air Con vent but it may be fitted to US cars due to y'all living much further south in all that heat.
They are used to estimate the effect of solar heating on the car and to adjust the air-con accordingly.

Thanks, I think you’re right. I found this LexusPartsNow listing for a “sun load temperature sensor” 88625-33150. Strangely, the site states that it does not fit a 2005 LS430.

Hopefully others can provide more information on its function. Is the sensor data used in order to regulate the rear air conditioning system? And why are the vents in some cars but not others?
Old 05-15-24 | 01:11 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Unless I am mistaken (I don't sit in the backseat of my UL very often) those should be for the rear air purifier. The rear A/C and the air purifier can be turned on separate or together, and I wanna say that one is an intake, and the other is an output, for after the air is run through the big *** filter in the trunk.

As I said though, I could be wrong, as I don't even remember the last time I turned it on.
Old 05-15-24 | 02:51 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

They are air intakes for the rear air UV purifier + giant rear filter, which also feed your rear ceiling air vents and your fridge. Set your fan speed on maximum and put your hand on the vents, you'll see. The solar sensor feeds into the AC neural network system. Here is some info I posted on these forums in 2019 regarding the smog sensor (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...post10481295):

In the LS400 automatic air conditioner system, the ECU determined the required outlet air temperature and blower air volume in accordance with the calculation formula that has been obtained based on information received from the sensors.

However, because the senses of a person are rather complex, a given temperature is sensed differently, depending on the environment in which the person is situated. For example, a given amount of solar radiation can feel comfortably warm in a cold climate, or extremely uncomfortable in a hot climate. Therefore, as a technique for effecting a higher level of control, a neural network* has been adopted in the LS430's automatic air conditioner system. With this technique, the data that has been fetched under varying environmental conditions is stored in the ECU, which effects control to provide enhanced air conditioner comfort.

*: Neural Network = Is capable of effecting complex control by artificially simulating the information processing method of the nervous system of living organisms in order to establish a complex input/output relationship that is similar to a human brain. The neural network control consists of neurons in the input layer, intermediate layer, and output layer. The input layer neurons process the input data of the outside temperature, the amount of sunlight, and the room temperature based on the outputs of the switches and sensors, and output them to the intermediate layer neurons. Based on this data, the intermediate layer neurons adjust the strength of the links among the neurons. The sum of these is then calculated by the output layer neurons in the form of the required outlet temperature, solar correction, target airflow volume, and outlet mode control volume. Accordingly, the air conditioner ECU controls the servo motors and blower motors in accordance with the control volumes that have been calculated by the neural network control

Normal Operation
* When the air inlet mode is selected in the automatic mode, the air conditioner ECU automatically switches the air inlet to the recirculation mode or to the fresh air mode by making a comprehensive analysis for preventing the intrusion of the harmful elements (CO, HC, NOx) that are present in the exhaust gases that are contained in the air outside of the vehicle, thus ensuring the maximum cooling performance in the summer and preventing the fogging of the windows in the winter. Also, when the automatic mode is selected, the air conditioner ECU automatically turns ON the compressor. However, to allow for the smog ventilation sensor to warm up, the automatic switching of the air inlet modes through the detection of the elements is not carried out for 30 seconds immediately after the engine is started.

Automatic Internal Air Cool Down Operation
* When the air inlet mode is in the automatic mode and the vehicle’s internal air temperature is high, such as in summer, the air conditioner ECU switches the air inlet mode to the recirculation mode in order to reduce the internal air temperature.

Automatic External Air Fogging Prevention Operation
* When the air inlet mode is in the automatic mode and the blower or the compressor is turned OFF through the manual operation of the switch or through automatic control, the air conditioner ECU switches the air inlet mode to the fresh air mode.

* When the outside air temperature is low, the air conditioner ECU automatically switches the air inlet mode to the fresh air mode in order to ensure the defogging performance of the window.

NOTE:
* The smog ventilation sensor cannot detect elements such as the smoke from a bonfire or factory exhaust, foul or animal odors, and dirt or dust particles. Therefore, the air inlet modes are not switched in accordance with those elements.

* Depending on the direction of the wind, the smog ventilation sensor might not be able to detect the exhaust gas elements, and could emit an odor.