LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Possible to program a used key fob/transponder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24 | 11:54 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Default Possible to program a used key fob/transponder?

I have a 2001 LS430 and the previous owner gave me the original, plain no-buttons key (valet key?) and a bag of key parts which contained one fob/transponder, two blades, and broken pieces of key housing. I ordered a replacement key housing and put the fob/transponder and one blade into it so now I have one working three button key, but I'd like another.

Is it possible to program the fob/transponder from another car to my car? I can get an original three button key from a junk yard LS430. Obviously its blade is cut to a different car but I just want the fob/transponder from inside it. Then I would get another replacement key housing, put my second key blade into that along with the junkyard fob/transponder. I have no problem programming a fob (remote) and transponder (RFID immobilizer chip) to the car, I did it with two new keys on my friends 01 LS430. I just want to know if it's possible to do it with a used fob/transponder. I assume it would be possible since you're programming the car to accept the fob/transponder, and I don't think anything actually changes on the key itself. Or maybe the fob/transponder has to be reset to "virgin" status somehow before it can be paired to the car?

Would love to hear if anybody knows about this.
Old 05-15-24 | 04:48 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Yes, I believe it is possible for some generations. Not sure about the your year. That said, you need to go through a procedure to "virginize" the key. I am not sure how to do this but I believe you can find out more by doing a google or you tube search.

My suggestion, you can obtain new, generic 3 button keys from certain replacement remote websites or ebay. You just have to make sure you match the frequency. printed on the original key. Generally made by Denso, these are the same as the OEM key (usually without the logo) and cost from $25 to $50 dollars. In the past, I have bought OEM ones from Belle Lexus for about $100. Also, an ebay seller (1010keys) will cut the blank key blade for about $15 from a picture or using your key code. (You may be able to obtain this from the parts counter at your Lexus dealer. They may ask for proof of ownership such as title and registration. Good to have.) Take a look, you may want to give it a try.

I suggest getting two and keeping one in the house so you always have a spare.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 05-15-24 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-15-24 | 03:00 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS430Lexus
Yes, I believe it is possible for some generations. Not sure about the your year. That said, you need to go through a procedure to "virginize" the key. I am not sure how to do this but I believe you can find out more by doing a google or you tube search.

My suggestion, you can obtain new, generic 3 button keys from certain replacement remote websites or ebay. You just have to make sure you match the frequency. printed on the original key. Generally made by Denso, these are the same as the OEM key (usually without the logo) and cost from $25 to $50 dollars. In the past, I have bought OEM ones from Belle Lexus for about $100. Also, an ebay seller (1010keys) will cut the blank key blade for about $15 from a picture or using your key code. (You may be able to obtain this from the parts counter at your Lexus dealer. They may ask for proof of ownership such as title and registration. Good to have.) Take a look, you may want to give it a try.

I suggest getting two and keeping one in the house so you always have a spare.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I've been searching for info on "virginizing" old keys, but all I come up with is stuff regarding the Lexus/Toyota smart keys. My car is a 2001 and doesn't have the smart key system. It has the fixed blade, three button old style key. Maybe these older style keys don't have to be virginized? Someone here on the forum said they were able to program used keys to their SC430, but that's a slightly different car.

I have the key code, it's on the emergency card key that came with the car. It looks like 1010keys on eBay charges $30 for a 3 button key cut by the key code, which isn't bad, but I'm not enthused about their "used car salesman" style pitch on their eBay page. And they tell a couple lies there, which rubs me the wrong way.

Although, before anything, I should probably make sure one of the keys I have is a master key, or else Techstream may not be willing to add any keys at all.

Also, is there a way to tell what the FCC ID is on a key when the FCC number has worn off? Inside my key the numbers on the button housing are 50111 and 02C15, but those aren't FCC ID numbers. It seems the two FCC IDs for 1st gen LS430s are NI412BBB and HYQ12BBK, but I don't know which one mine is.
Old 05-15-24 | 03:29 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

A Lexus parts dealer may be able to tell you, when they find a part number based on your VIN. Ask them what frequency it is. Mine was the HYQ which I believe was the most common. FWIW, I have had good luck and good service from 1010 keys. I just used them to cut key blades for my LS460. I never experienced a hard sell.

Also, I believe that any working three button key can function as a master. I am not sure if the valet key qualifies. That's why I always have an extra that doesn't leave the house. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-16-24 | 07:16 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Down the rabbit hole we go. According to the FCC report pages, both NI412BBB and HYQ12BBK operate on the same frequency. Both were approved by the FCC in 2000, one on 07/14 and the other 11/09, respectively. My guess is the later HYQ12BBK replaced the earlier one and that's why it's so much more common. I also think they're probably interchangeable because in the cover letter for the FCC application for HYQ12BBK it states that, "There were no changes to the equipment under test other than the FCC ID number." Also, the older NI412BBB FCC application was submitted by Toyota, while the later HYQ12BBK was submitted by Denso, along with a letter of authorization from Toyota, allowing Denso to use Toyotas original test report to make an FCC application. So it seems like Toyota handed over responsibility of the fob entirely to Denso, but Denso didn't change anything, which means that either fob should work on any car.
Old 05-17-24 | 10:31 AM
intermec
Intermediate

When I got my 03, it only came with 1 original Lexus key fob. I was able to got 2 "new" fobs from eBay and reprogrammed them to work with my car. They look "real" but after I open the inside and check, they are not the same as the original. Just an FYI