LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-24, 02:05 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Well that's a problem not many 16 ohm speakers out there not ones designed for automotive use.
Yup, which is why we recommend the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC.
Perfect it isn't but a good drop in replacement for the original it is.

For the wiring, a quick search in the forum finds you this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...to-16ohms.html
Old 07-30-24, 02:06 AM
Tpresler
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FelixBabakuntos
If you use a separate amplifier for a bigger sub, how is this wired? Is the input to the separate subwoofer amplifier coming from the head unit, or from the ML amplifier?

I'm unclear if the output of the head unit is two channel, or if it is already splitting the signal into a channels for each speaker.

I looked at pictures of the (2004-2006) ML amplifier, and I see three female Molex connectors but I'm unsure what each plug is connected to. Does anyone have wiring diagrams?
To make it easier I’m pretty sure you’d need a Line output converter you take the already existing subwoofer wires and connect it to that and you’d connect that LOC line output converter to the new amp. You’d have to run a power wire from the battery to new amp. There are some detailed instructions on here on how to do it.
Old 07-30-24, 05:07 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

How does the Dayton compare to the original? Do you listen to bass-heavy music (i.e. hip hop or EDM)? I refoamed the Mark Levinson sub and it has very little bass output and buzzes loudly on tracks with very low frequency bass. It's possible that the voice coil was slightly off-center when I glued the new surround back on, or perhaps the sub has inherently low excursion. Either way, I'm now looking into buying new sub but I'm skeptical that any single 8" subwoofer will have sufficient output at very low frequencies.
It's somewhat hard for me to compare it to the stock ML sub, because my original one was SOOOO BAD that it sounded like a bolt in a blender if I turned the bass up at all, but having built dozens of system in many vehicles over the years, I can say that it has respectable output in my opinion.

And I mainly listen to hard rock/metal, but I do have some drum and bass and hip hop/rap in the mix too!

Last edited by YoshiMan; 07-31-24 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 01:40 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

The ML system is all about accurate reproduction, or High Fidelity (HiFi).
If you want a lot more bass I would recommend considering an aftermarket system but you are looking at $$$$.

The Dayton Audio gives about the same level of bass as the OEM after break-in.
That said, if your OEM sub is buzzing then it is busted and any replacement will be an improvement.

I'm not into bass (more of a ProgRock & DeathMetal fan) but the bass in some Peter Gabriel tracks and the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049 can rattle loose stuff in the door pockets!!
Old 08-01-24, 08:11 AM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpresler
To make it easier I’m pretty sure you’d need a Line output converter you take the already existing subwoofer wires and connect it to that and you’d connect that LOC line output converter to the new amp. You’d have to run a power wire from the battery to new amp. There are some detailed instructions on here on how to do it.
One long-term idea I have, if I’m not satisfied with the single 8” output, is to build a box with two 8-ohm subs (8” or 10”) with similar sensitivity to the ML sub and wire them in series (giving 16 ohm total resistance) to the ML amp. I can’t think of any reason why this shouldn’t work.

I have a background in audio but not car audio. Is it typical to have the subs placed in the trunk with no opening into the main cabin? My guess is that low frequencies (<100 Hz) would pass through seats just fine but I’d like confirmation before wasting my time.
Old 08-01-24, 08:54 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Having subs in the trunk is totally normal in car audio but they are running a lot more power than the factory amp. So you’d need an aftermarket amp but then you’d be defeating the purpose of finding 8ohm subs and wiring them to get 16 ohms.
I had a sub in the trunk but even with low frequency rule there was so much energy lost between the solid wall, sound deadener, seat, etc that it wasn’t for me. It sounded good inside the cabin but the trunk lid and everything outside was rattling too much. Cool when I was younger but not so much now.
The following users liked this post:
FelixBabakuntos (08-05-24)
Old 08-01-24, 10:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,525 Posts

One long-term idea I have, if I’m not satisfied with the single 8” output, is to build a box with two 8-ohm subs (8” or 10”) with similar sensitivity to the ML sub and wire them in series (giving 16 ohm total resistance) to the ML amp. I can’t think of any reason why this shouldn’t work.
Same amount of energy will be going into the 2 subs vs. 1 with more mass to move you'll likely have a drop in bass output.
I have a background in audio but not car audio. Is it typical to have the subs placed in the trunk with no opening into the main cabin? My guess is that low frequencies (<100 Hz) would pass through seats just fine but I’d like confirmation before wasting my time.
Trunk mounted sub is not ideal anything above 100Hz drops off sharply in the cabin.
FelixBabakuntos (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 05:46 PM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Same amount of energy will be going into the 2 subs vs. 1 with more mass to move you'll likely have a drop in bass output.
At high power levels subwoofers are generally excursion-limited (i.e. no matter how much power is fed into them, the cone can't travel any further due to the surround/spider limitations). One way around this is to use a second driver so that twice the amount of air is moved at those high excursion levels.

But yeah, I do see your overall point -- the increase isn't likely to be as great as one might think and it'd only be helpful at higher power when excursion limitation becomes an issue.

Trunk mounted sub is not ideal anything above 100Hz drops off sharply in the cabin.
Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose that if I were to use door woofers that play well below 100 Hz then this might still be acceptable. But I'll definitely first see if I can get a single 8" to have acceptable bass output.

Have any of you had experience with putting it the heavy sound deadening mats around the subwoofer area? Did it increase bass output significantly?

Also, what kind of connector is used by the stock ML subwoofer? Is that a 2-pin Molex or is it something else? I don't want to cut the connector off the ML to put onto the new sub -- I'd rather just buy the connector from Amazon.
Old 08-05-24, 06:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Have any of you had experience with putting it the heavy sound deadening mats around the subwoofer area? Did it increase bass output significantly?
Subwoofer needs mass to push against that's not the same thing as mass to absorb sound. In other words a nice heavy box with some insulation is best (or even none) IMO. I prefer the character of real wood (not press board) but MDF is okay as well. I also prefer a sealed sub box it sounds more musical to me but a vented box will give more bump just keep in mind the sub will more easily over extend in a vented box.
Also, what kind of connector is used by the stock ML subwoofer?
I don't know, been grabbing pig tails at the salvage yards.
Old 08-05-24, 06:14 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

I prefer the character of real wood (not press board) but MDF is okay as well.

Not to derail the topic but this interests me. I know people are using other woods but I thought it was a strength and weight preference. Is there really a difference in sound quality between woods?
Old 08-05-24, 06:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JaySco
Not to derail the topic but this interests me. I know people are using other woods but I thought it was a strength and weight preference. Is there really a difference in sound quality between woods?
Too subjective for me to say definitively. I'm running a very old B&O speaker box as a sub 3 sides are rosewood veneer on some kind of plywood not exactly sure what it is but sounds awesome. Different materials certainly have different character MDF is used because it's cheap, cuts nicely, and sounds good. But it has a kind of dead character I'm not crazy about.
Old 08-05-24, 08:40 PM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Subwoofer needs mass to push against that's not the same thing as mass to absorb sound.
Yeah, it's not really accurate terminology since they don't absorb sound waves, but they're usually referred to as "sound dampening mats". They're just very heavy mats with the purpose of reducing structural vibrations/rattling and preventing sound waves from passing through them. They're not absorptive like fiberglass or open cell foam. (I'm referring to things like Dynamat.) I think the idea of placing them around the subwoofer in the rear deck is to reduce those parasitic structural vibrations, and to act like the baffle on a large speaker box which separates the front/rear waves emanating from the cone, reducing cancellation. I'm not sure how effective it is at these things, but that's the idea. I may try it out since it at least won't hurt.
Old 08-06-24, 07:33 PM
Tpresler
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a separate amplifier for a bigger sub, how is this wired? Is the input to the separate subwoofer amplifier coming from the head unit, or from the ML amplifier?

I'm unclear if the output of the head unit is two channel, or if it is already splitting the signal into a channels for each speaker.

I looked at pictures of the (2004-2006) ML amplifier, and I see three female Molex connectors but I'm unsure what each plug is connected to. Does anyone have wiring diagrams?
I got a good deal on 2 15in Rockford Fosgates RFP 1215 DVC subs. I only intend on using one but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity basically 2 brand new subs for the price of 1. They are older but in brand new condition 500w rms 1000w max. I had a newer RF P3 sub a few years back in a civic and it slammed so I suspect the one I use will be just as good probably better. I ordered a sub box and a LOC (Line Output Converter) Audio control LC2i . Only thing left I need to get is an amp not sure what amp I’m going to get yet though. But I’ll post on here when I install it

This and the other picture are the 2 subs I just picked up

This is just a screenshot of the LOC I got. It has a bass control **** if you wanted to run it up to the dash aswell
FelixBabakuntos (08-06-24)
Old 08-07-24, 10:11 AM
FelixBabakuntos
Rookie

Yes, please update as you go through it.

How would your subwoofer amplifier be powered? I assume you’d add breakouts to run the power wires from the ML amplifier to the new amplifier, thus wiring the two amplifiers in parallel?
Old 08-07-24, 12:03 PM
JaySco
Intermediate

Yes, please update as you go through it.

How would your subwoofer amplifier be powered? I assume you’d add breakouts to run the power wires from the ML amplifier to the new amplifier, thus wiring the two amplifiers in parallel?
There is no way the factory wire could power an amp required for that speaker. He will run a wire directly back from the battery, probably 4-8ga.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer replacement