LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what no one tested new LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 05:28 PM
mc003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks ls430intx. and thanks everyone else for your replies esp. zdude for your input.
this helps explaine exactly what i was asking and i really appreciate it all.

btw, i think lexus is the sony of automotive. cuz you can't modify it much w/o using only their
parts. i.e. stereo is totally made to house only the lexus system, and if u change it it's obvious.
this is in regards with the XM system.

again thanks for everyone's post. all have been helpful!
Old 12-24-03, 11:54 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok being an ml owner I have to step in and stop some of the wild assertions being made. while its not as crappy as an x5 and the early versions have well deserved reputations as being problematic, from 2002 on they are not problem vehicles. they do not spontaneously combust nor do they randomly fail for any reason. its too bad it took 5 years to get the ml to the point it should have started from but it is one of the best luxury suvs around at this point. I was very impressed by the mb brand but I have to say that has faded considerably. when I take my ml in for scheduled maintenance they give me a brand new camry to drive and the local dealers all cannot wait to point out to me that if I buy an audi, lexus, infiniti, [NOT BMW] I will get a new loaner of the same make. also for the record new car loaners ARE NOT universally available in the lexus chain either. just read the fine print to prove it. now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 12-24-03 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-05-04, 04:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by zdude
mc003, funny you mention an ML for another car. I owned a '00 ML430 and it was a lemon right off from the start (I traded it for my X5 after 10 months of ownership, what a bath I took on that one). The ML had a water pump/pulley go in first 400 miles then the paint peeled off the front and back bumper at 1500 miles. Want me to go on? I bought it from the same dealer who hosed me later on the E320 brake job and they promised me a loaner car if I had any problems. Guess what I got? A GEO! The other times I had problems - they were out of loaners. The ML drove like a wayward boat - the X5 was like a dream to drive but a nightmare to own. LS from tx was right about the LS learning your driving patterns, BMW's do that as well BUT their gas petals control electronics (like Lexus) not a throttle body and sometime the petals can be a little strange in their behavior. Check the BMW board about different gas petal problems.
I had a great 5 Series (I wished I never sold it) and my E320 has been great until the brake problem (although tonight it had a lamp failure with no lamps appearing to be out?) and my 3 series has been somewhat trouble free except for the air-conditioning that BMW refuses to fix and the transmission that goes clunk constantly (that too is within spec). If my LS430 is as good as it seems to be right now then all my other cars will be Lexuses within the next year. Word.
Hi Zdude. You got a Geo for a loaner? Me too, actually another "C"hevrolet Cavalier.
Yeah, not even a lousy C class. See, too many MB are in the shop that they "run out
of loaners." Everytime I take the Lexus in , I GOT a Lexus. I'm staying with Lexus also.
I'm not going to sell the S500 (only 10k miles) but no more Germans!!! I was crazy for the
AMG's (E, S, or CL). No more Germans-service and sales are HORRIBLE considering what "Mercedes"
stands for!!!

A friend's 00ML430 was also a lemon. He had new problems every month for close to a year.
Some minor and some not minor.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-05-04 at 04:34 PM.