LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I Hit A Deer-LS430!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 08:52 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you & your daughter are fine. Ouch....$1,000 deductible...that is expensive deer meat.....I was just back in PA. for deer season & had no luck hunting one let alone hitting one.

I am not making light of your situation......PA has a high rate of accidents caused by the deer population. When I was back there at Thanksgiving, two people were killed when their car hit a deer & they crossed the highway divider & ran head on into a semi.....very,very unfortunate.....

As to your possible purchase, go for it....sounds like a good deal...you will be happy with the '04.

Jeff
Old 12-23-03, 09:29 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04!
Old 12-24-03, 05:49 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

By the way, the $1000 deductible is not really "ouch" after all. I've been driving for 27 years and this is my first claim, believe it or not (except when I was driving my wife's Audi in 1994 and was hit by a drunk driver and my "no fault" paid my medical bills...but this is my first real claim). To go from $1000 deductible down to $500 would cost about $350 per year more. So you do the Calculus there. But it's never fun when it's time to shell it out, even if you made money in the long haul.

Daryll40
Old 12-24-03, 02:54 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

It's good to hear something good came out of all this, now you have the opportunity to get a brand new '04 to replace your '03....I'd definitely go for it. The '03 is a nice car and all, but the '04 is so much nicer and then some.
Old 12-24-03, 11:39 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad everyone was OK.
About the comment about Carfax- I doubt it will show up, as if I recall- those reports do not show "fender benders". I think that only shows if the insurance company totals out the car.
On the 2004- what do you mean by the "modern luxury"? What additional features does this car add?
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-25-03, 04:10 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

"Modern Luxury" is the name of the package that basically adds the Mark Levenson sound system and Navigation. It also has the backup camera and a few other things I cannot remember offhand. Adds about $3500 to the sticker of the base car.
Old 12-27-03, 11:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Well I picked up my '04 LS430 with Modern Lux today. Wonderful! I did not have time for a full tutorial of the NAV system, however, but will read the book tonight or tomorrow. It's a little bit cumbersome. The car is great, however. I love the rear camera when backing up! By the way, is there a way to "override" the NAV so you can program it while driving? My portable GARMIN system has an override. Do I have to pull over every time I change my mind and want to change the destination? Also, what did they do to the glovebox? The old car had TWO gloves boxes. Now it's just one big one, but it doesn't open very far. Am I just nitpicking???
Old 12-29-03, 06:23 AM
Milla...

Thats great you got it
Are there any more major intereior differences other than the glove box? Thats very interesting because I like my glove box. The only differences I see from my car and the 04' is just the wheels, head lights, tail lights and thats it. I personally choose not to get the Navi after being in a friends Acura, theirs are so much better in every way. I remember when the salesman took me out for the test drive we had one with the Navi and he even had a hard time dealing with it and then it started gliching etc, so that killed it for me. Well enjoy your 04' and, watch out for those Deers!!
Old 12-29-03, 01:54 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Truthfullt my portable GARMIN nav unit is better. If they had a base car that was in a color that I liked, I would have skipped the NAV. Nevertheless it's a fun toy and the backup camera is almost worth the NAV cost in itself. Also, I can't hear any difference between the Mark Levinson and the base radio. Am I missing something?
Old 12-29-03, 09:06 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default '04_vs_'03 differences

Originally posted by Milla...
Thats great you got it
Are there any more major intereior differences other than the glove box? Thats very interesting because I like my glove box. The only differences I see from my car and the 04' is just the wheels, head lights, tail lights and thats it. I personally choose not to get the Navi after being in a friends Acura, theirs are so much better in every way. I remember when the salesman took me out for the test drive we had one with the Navi and he even had a hard time dealing with it and then it started gliching etc, so that killed it for me. Well enjoy your 04' and, watch out for those Deers!!
Milla:

There are probably a couple more differences in the '04 vs the '03. Most important (to me) has to be the 6-speed tranny in the '04, the bigger wheels and the not-so-subtle change exposing more of the tail pipes. These three changes provide so much difference to the overall aestethics and driveability of the '04 over the '03. Other changes are just mush..... too little to make any significant difference.

But I would still take an '04 over an '03 any day.

Congrats to daryll40 on his new purchase. I am jealous !
Old 12-29-03, 09:45 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Thumbs up Seems

Seems like you made the right decision for yourself. Glad you are happy. I have 2200 miles on my 04 in 5 weeks. My wife likes it but wants to keep driving the 02 Yukon. So I get to enjoy the LS. Seems my plan worked out just fine ha.Larry
Old 12-30-03, 06:08 AM
Milla...

Us women have a thing for SUV's you know. I'm in the process of buying a mint 00' LX470 from a friend right now , I should have it by new years. I notice theres about 1 guy to every 10 women SUV drivers its amazing.

Sorry didn't mean to take this off topic.
Old 12-30-03, 07:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

You have somewhat of a point, but I know lots of men SUV driver's too. I live in Pittsburgh and since the birth of the modern SUV with the 1991 Ford Explorer, driving around here is a totally improved experience. Prior to the SUV era, it meant studded snow tires, chains, staying home altogether and getting stuck. Snow driving is still more risky than not, but the SUV has been a great thing for us in the snowbelt. Even for us men. I drive my wife's Mercury Mountaineer when the weather is REALLY bad.

The pinstripper is in my garage right now putting the stripe on my new '04 LS430. The stripe really made the old ('03) car. I know it will do the same for this one too.

Daryll40
Old 12-30-03, 07:08 AM
Milla...

Hahaha your WIFE'S Mountaineer....
Old 12-30-03, 07:10 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I don't get what you are laughing at...it may be funny, but it was not meant as a joke. Wife drives a Mercury Mountaineer...the sister "clone" vehicle to the Ford Explorer. What's so funny?

Daryll40

Quick Reply: I Hit A Deer-LS430!