LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dealer Installed XM Radio on LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 01:32 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Installed XM Radio on LS430

Just completed the dealer installation and activation of the XM tunner on my 2004 LS430. The radio is outstanding and is completely integrated with the head end unit, three SAT bands with 6 presets on each band. The only downside is the text does not scroll. You have to push the text button to find the artist and selection. Everything is mounted under the panel in the trunk lid. The only thing visible is the antenna, which is mounted at the drivers edge of the trunk lid. The antenna is flat about the size of a deck of cards.
It comes as a black color, but I found a Rustoleum nonmetalic paint which is close to the car color (Mystic Gold) and the dealer sprayed the antenna before installing it. They charged 2 hours labor for the installation plus the cost of the kit. Total cost was $770. They did a very neat job on the installation. The tech had been to the Lexus training session. Some people suggested mounting the antenna inside the car but the first page of the XM activation progam says if the antenna is inside the car move it to the outside before you activate the service.

Overall I am very satified with the installation.
Old 12-24-03, 01:08 AM
mc003
Driver School Candidate

so is it controlled by your touch screen navigation or standard radio deck?
how did they incorporate the XM with the touch screen, is there a program?

or maybe i'm just lost at how this system works.
i was thinking of XM today because on the hour and on the half hour there are like
10min of non-stop commercials... radio stations should be called
non-stop commercials with occasional songs in between.
Old 12-24-03, 03:20 AM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer Installed XM Radio

I have the standard radio rather than the navigation system. With the standard radio they add a special tuner in the trunk. There is already wiring installed in the trunk to the front end. The radio rcognizes the tuner once it is plugged in. They didn't do anything at the front end radio. I think it may be the same unit for a car with the Nav system as the only choice when ordering the kit was if you have rear seat cooling.

The owners manual has a good explanation of the system and its operation.
Old 12-24-03, 09:42 AM
zdude
Driver School Candidate

What panel is the XM tuner hid behind? Is it mounted on the left or right side or behind the seat. Did the XM radio kit come with instructions? Inquiring minds want to know I am thinking of buying the kit and installing myself (my dealer is 75 miles away) but I do not want to do this if it involves dealer programming (which you say there is none) and I would prefer to have the antenna mounted on the inside of my car on the rear deck since my interior is black anyway. I think they may mean the car needs to be outside when activating the service because it needs clear shot of satelite.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-24-03, 01:56 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

I did not see the installation but the tech said the kit comes with a bracket to install the tuner between the trunk lid braces underneath the trim panel. I think on the drivers side. I did not get the installation instructions as the dealer installed the kit. Full operating instructions are in the owners manual.
You do have to have the car outside for the inital setup but in addition the antenna must be on the outside of the car. Below is from the XM activation process.

"Online Activation Process

First, please make sure your XM equipment is working properly by tuning to the XM Preview channel (#1). If you can hear XM Preview, your equipment is ready.

If your antenna was professionally installed inside the car, you will have mutes and other reception problems. Please return to your installer and have them place the antenna on the outside of the car. You should not be charged for this service.

Next, make sure you have a credit card and your XM Radio Hardware ID handy. (You can display your ID by tuning your XM Radio to channel 0, one down from XM Preview.)

Please check your ID code carefully. There is no "I" (eye), "o" (oh), "S" or "F" used. You may wish to double-check your ID code on the outside of your tuner box.

Let's get started. "
Old 12-24-03, 08:32 PM
zdude
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks very much! I guess I will give it a try.
Old 12-24-03, 11:14 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my question is if this is retrofittable in the 01-03 models of the ls. I intend to buy an 01-02 ultra in feb of 05 so I really would like to know the answer.
Old 12-25-03, 09:39 PM
zdude
Driver School Candidate

No, the XM radio kit only works on the '04 model.
Old 02-09-04, 02:55 PM
anikzad
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I was wondering if the person who had the XM radio installed on his LS430, could get the installation instruction from his dealer. I found a dealer that is selling the reciever at $480.00 - I just like to look at the instruction to see how complete or easy it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have installed other satelite radios before and I do not recall two hours of work, and I am a fanatic when it comes to wiring. Then again, lexus dealers must make a living.

Arman Nikzad
2004 LS430
1997 BMW M3
Old 02-09-04, 05:44 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

I did not get the instructions from the dealer. They charged 2 hrs labor which was the Lexus standard . They said the actual time was slightly longer but it was the first one they had done. In addition they painted the antenna to match the color of the car before they mounted it on the trunk lid. The antenna is the only visible part of the installation. Everthing else is hidden. I understand the instructions are available as a PDF file if the dealer will give it to you.
Old 06-12-04, 12:49 PM
Maurice
Driver

Do you mind telling us what delaer installed it for you? Lexus of Glendale quoted me $900 and Santa Monica Lexus quoted $1,600 (how is that for profit).

I also saw it online (do not remember where - some Toyota dealer) for around $450 - so 2 hours laborshould bring it around $700...
Old 06-12-04, 05:22 PM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Default XM Radio

I had mine installed by Highland Park Lexus, Highland Park Illinois. The cost of the kit was $538 plus 2 hrs labor at $190 for a total of $728. I also got a quote from Arlington Lexus in Palatine Illinois for a similar price. As I said before the 2 hours labor also included painting the antenna to match the car color. I supplied the nonmetalic paint.
Old 06-12-04, 05:37 PM
Maurice
Driver

Thanks
Old 06-16-04, 08:02 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Can anyone post some pics of their antennas please.
Old 06-17-04, 04:03 AM
ffitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Here is the Lexus installed antenna. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer Installed XM Radio on LS430-antenna-a-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by spinaltoad; 12-19-04 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Installed XM Radio on LS430