LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Swap '03 LS430 for '04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 06:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Swap '03 LS430 for '04 LS430

Sorry about cross posting this. I needed to get your attention! Time is of the essence here.

As per my prior post, a deer committed suicide on my 2003 LS430 yesterday. There is extensive damage, although nothing structural, so the bodyshop says.

OK, I went to the dealership tonight and here's my propsed deal: They'll take my "base" 2003 LS430 (stickered for about $58,000) with 4000 miles on it and damage. I give them my insurance deductible, assign the insurance check for the repair and give them $11,000 plus tax for a 2004 LS430 with Modern Luxury, sticker just under $61,000. They have the exact car, ready for delivery, on the showroom. Or I can get a "base" car...which they don't have in stock but can be gotten sooner or later...I'd have to drive a rent-a-car in the meantime...my insurance will pay for up to 30 days....for $8000 difference plus my car and insurance repair check.

I am inclined to "move up" to the one with the modern luxury. I can certainly afford it, but of course just because one can afford something doesn't mean he should **** money away. That's always been my motto...although cars are my weak spot. I would NEVER get rid of a car in just 3 months under normal circumstances...I usually keep them 3-4 years. But under the circumstances I am inclined to "start all over" with a new car and move on. Again, my car is my one area where I am eccentric. I like a clean, pristine car, please!

Do you folks think that this is a reasonable deal....I am not asking if you think I am crazy for trading in a 3 month old car...yes...I am crazy. I am asking, admitting that I am crazy, if I am getting totally hosed or is 8 grand for an apples to apples swap of a 2003 base LS430 for a 2004 LS430 a fair exchange based on current market conditions, the fact that the dealer has to hassle with the repair, and will then have to sell a "previously wrecked" car, even though it will be perfectly fixed, no doubt and given the slight "refreshening" of the 2004 car vs the 2003 car.

Daryll40
Old 12-23-03, 07:20 PM
SRK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I have it wrong, but it sounds like the 4000 miles will cost you $8000.00. That seems a bit much. If you weren't thinking of trading up before you hit the deer, why now? The 04 may very well be hit by another deer, or a car in a parking lot. If the body shop is fully confident they can repair the car properly, and they should be, then my thinking would be to keep the 03. In other words don't let the dead deer, and the dealership, which appears a bit too keen on this trade, make your decision for you.
Like George C. Scott said in the film "Dr. Strangelove", "Mr. President, I smell a rat, a big fat commie rat!".

Last edited by SRK; 12-24-03 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-23-03, 07:34 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be great to make that deal... I don't htink the dealer bite though. They are in the business of making profit.

I wouldn't buy a 03 LS430with 4000 miles on and have car fax record for $40,000.00. How much would you think the dealer will take as a trade in for a 461k+ car?
Old 12-23-03, 07:37 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

You're missin' the point, buddy. They MADE that deal. As long as I do the deal before 12/31, which I am anxious to do as they are, since I'm drivin' a wrecked car.

They made the offer to me....8 grand. I was the one who said I'd do it and pay the 3 grand (or so ) difference if they'd do it on a car with modern luxury. They agreed tonight. And I've dealt with this dealer before and, so far, they always do what they say they are going to do.

Daryll40
Old 12-23-03, 07:45 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Regarding paying $8000 to drive 4000 miles. It's more like $4000 to drive 4000 miles. Which, I agree is still outrageous. But it might even be less.

First of all, I'll keep the vehicle 3 or 4 years, max. That's my pattern. So at the end of that time, an '04 with 45,000 miles will be worth about $5000 more than an '03 with 49000 miles. I looked at pricing of 3 year old vehicles and that's the difference. Plus, if my car is really going to be a "marked" car via Carfax, then I might have to take a further hit. So recouping about $5000 at trade-in time plus the extra hit that I might take due to being a "marked" car might end up being not much less than $8000.

Listen, if I kept the car forever, it wouldn't matter, I know. And I am rationalizing, I also know. But for those of us who only keep a car for a few years and buy new, my logic really does hold water.
Old 12-23-03, 07:54 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by daryll40
You're missin' the point, buddy. They MADE that deal. As long as I do the deal before 12/31, which I am anxious to do as they are, since I'm drivin' a wrecked car.

They made the offer to me....8 grand. I was the one who said I'd do it and pay the 3 grand (or so ) difference if they'd do it on a car with modern luxury. They agreed tonight. And I've dealt with this dealer before and, so far, they always do what they say they are going to do.

Daryll40
I'll bite 04 modern lux is much better than base 03 in my opinion. Does you base 03 has navigation?
Old 12-23-03, 08:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

No, my base does not have NAV...I believe that's the definition of "base". Anyway, I do have a GARMIN Streetpilot that's a WONDERFUL portable unit. I'll keep it anyway for my wife's car and for when we travel and rent cars. I think if I had that unit before I would have gotten NAV in the '03. It was one of those things I didn't realized I needed....until I had it. I still am not totally sure I want to spend 3 grand more for "modern lux", but they seem to be the best sellers so I guess I'll go with the flow.

Daryll40
Old 12-23-03, 08:13 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Cool My two cents

I sense you want to make the deal. I feel that you are such a car nut that you dont want to keep the 03 with deer damage and repaired. Dollar wise you are moving up one year, 4000 miles, no record of any damage, 6 speed and peace of mind for $8000. I think you would get at least half that if not more back in a few years. I really dont think the dealer is doing a job on you.In the end do what is going to make you happy. Yes life is to short. I would go with the more optioned car. let us know tomarrow. Larry
Old 12-24-03, 04:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Go for the 04 daryll40, money wise, it does not make a huge difference, it sounds like you'll be much happier, & you're getting the 6 speed & other upgrades.
Old 12-24-03, 07:42 AM
Rice
Pole Position

It sounds to me that money is not much of an issue to you when it comes to cars. I think that a car should make you happy when you are driving it. If you keep the 03, you will not be happy because you know that it is not perfect now, after the accident.
My advise is to go with the 04 and make yourself happy. Especially since you will probably recoup most of this 8K in about 3 years.
For you, this is a good deal. I don't see why the dealer would agree to this, though. Their only reason might be the fact that they will get much more money from insurance, than the actual cost of repairs.
Old 12-24-03, 07:56 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

The dealer is really doing this. He "said" (for whatever a dealer says is worth) that they needed to sell a few more LS430s this calendar year and in Pittsburgh this the slowest time of the year for LS sales (which is true).

As to insurance, they farm it out to a local bodyshop and claim that they pay the same thing that you or I or our insurance will pay. Perhaps this is a lie and maybe there is some dealer juice here. I have verbally given the dealer the go ahead. He has to put it all together now. Will take a few days with the holiday, etc. They have to get the vehicle from their second store across town (which they own, so trading won't be a problem), swap my Nokian tires onto it, and contact my insurance about assigning the repair reimbursement to them. I guess the deal could fall apart, but I doubt it. Hey, if it does, it does and I won't be any the worse. Meantime it LOOKS like I'll be driving an '04 with modern luxury before I sing Auld Lang Syne.

Daryll40
Old 12-24-03, 09:42 AM
sidgriggs
Driver

Do it--make the trade. I moved from an 02 base to an 04 modern lux and love it. You will gain Bluetooth, 6 speed, heated and air conditioned front seats, Intuitive parking assist, back-up camera, Mark Levinson and I even have Smart Access (which is great).
Old 12-24-03, 10:46 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink daryl40 trade 2003LS430 for2004 LS430

I know from a dealership owner that in 2006 there will be a change of the LS 430 body style.Im like you D40 i like driving the best ive owned 2 Benz's S430 and the ML 500 and 5 Lexus' ES300 ,2 GS300's,1GS400,and know theLS430 2001.The LS430 2001 is my first time buying certified pre-owned I was actually told buy the dealership owner to stop buying new and buy a used he drives a 96 LS 400 and can get any car he wants he broke it down it looks and drives the same as any LS GOOD.I say that to say this if my happiness use to be in my car i can only be happy for spells at a time its just a car your blessed by GOD in your own way of finacial success to afford what you want.But remember in this time of year those that dont have your choice in spending $8,000 or $11,000 for a car.Be content if the 2003 made you happy when you purchased it keep it .And when the 2006 new body style comes out trade in for that th edealer knows the history of the car and you have a good relationship with them they'll give you agood trade in then.The body shop said no bad damage.The lost on the trade 2 or 3 years from know should equal out to be even withthe 8 to11 grand and discounts they'll give you.KEEP YOUR MONEY.Its just a car we dont think of these things when were healthy and wealthy trust me i know from experience.But at the end of the day its your decision this is not criticism its just the same advice (GOOD) advice i would want someone to give me.P.S if my mention of GOD offended anyone it isnt my intention.
Old 12-24-03, 11:02 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Do the deal. Definately. $8,000 difference for a one year newer car is not too much considering most cars lose waaaay more value as soon as you drive out of the lot. (Thank goodness you own a Lexus). And $11,000 is decent for an upgrade to the Modern Luxury Package. 4th generatin navigation, Mark Levinson, Bluetooth, Satellite radio capability, plus all the newer standard features. Who knows exactly when and what they will change on the 2006 LS? And anyway, it's still 2 years away. From your driving history, you might be ready to trade out of the '04 by then. Who knows what the future of Lexus will bring? Like most everyone on this board is saying......do it! Oh, and what color are they offfering you? And please post pictures, need we even ask?

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 12-24-03 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-24-03, 12:32 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it!!!

I hate front end damage on vehicles because they never seem to drive the same again. No matter how many shims they put in or how many alignments they say they do, they drive just doesn't ever go back to the original (IMO).

A deer did a kamikazee run on my 1992 Infiniti G20 in 1999 and totaled the car, so I know first hand how you feel. Believe it or not, but it was 11:40pm and I was on my way back to Blockbuster to return my defensive driving video!!! Is that not the epitomy of irony or what? Start a poll and state the situation so we can get a pretty chart telling us what the results are in the end.

Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: Swap '03 LS430 for '04 LS430