LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 430 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 07:38 PM
acf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 430 Owners

I couldn't be more envious. I'm curious what you do for a living or how you can justify such a price for a car. I don't mean this negatively in any way, I just want to live vicariously through you.
Old 01-30-04, 04:30 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

How do I justify such a price? I don't! $60,000 for a car is outrageous and about half of that will be depreciated in the first 3-4 years.

But, everyone has their vice. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't womanize, I don't golf/belong to expensive country clubs, I travel once or twice a year but don't go crazy there either. I have ALWAYS enjoyed nice cars and due to hard work, prudent saving and decent investmetn returns I can now afford a new Lexus every few years if I choose, without any financial hardship. It boils down to this:

In America, anyone can afford ANYTHING. But most cannot afford EVERYTHING. I avoid the "Everything" and my car is my "anything".

Daryll40, makin' no excuses for the waste of money...economically speaking...of driving a car that costs more than double what the average car costs.
Old 01-30-04, 04:46 AM
acf
Driver

Ahh yes, I understand. One thing I can't imagine is the stress of something happening to it. I freak out if someone parks anywhere near my '97!

Last edited by acf; 01-30-04 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 05:08 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yes, I can relate. I like my cars to be in pristine condition. I guess that's why I bit the bullet when I had a collision with a deer in my '03 and traded it for the '04. In my mind, that car would never have been right. I skimmed a curb in the '04 the other day and have a grind mark on the driver's side rear wheel at the lip where the tire meets it. It's really not noticeable, but it bother's the heck out of me. I'll probably live with it but when I need tires I'll swap the new wheel in the trunk for it...assuming I don't damage another wheel worse first!

Daryll40, having a bad streak with driving lately.
Old 01-30-04, 08:10 AM
Brett
Rookie

I'd say I'm about like Darryl. The car is about the only expensive thing I have. I live in a decent house on a golf course and drive a nice car. other than that, my cell phone is 5 years old, my tv is 7 years old, most of my clothes/shoes are over 4 years old, i mow my own lawn, clean my own pool, etc. etc.

As for profession, I own a mortgage company and a real estate company, and I turned 30 three months ago.
Old 01-30-04, 08:18 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Brett

As for profession, I own a mortgage company and a real estate company, and I turned 30 three months ago.
Wow, owning two companies at age 30 is a great thing. One question though, is this something you were handed down by your parents or is this something you started out of your own pocket?

I for one would like to own my own business, but , thinking of the right niche is kind of difficult.
any business majors out there? Do you guys see any rise in the economy here or are we stuck with this for a few more years?
Old 01-30-04, 08:28 AM
Brett
Rookie

No hand-me-downs. I basically started it with a maxed out credit card. Approx. 5k. I would not recommend that path. Its very difficult to start with no capital, but it can be done. Even now, my companies are small. But I dont need a 100 story building with my name on it, i just want to be comfortable and have nobody telling me what to do.

if your looking for an idea to start a business. Remember this: Everyone will tell you to do what you love, but in reality you should do what makes you money and then you'll have plenty of time to do what you love on weekends and in your early retirement.

Last edited by Brett; 01-30-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 11:17 AM
RajaReMax
Driver

I sell real estate in St.Louis, Missouri...Home of the Rams, Cardinals & Blues!!!!

Couldn't be happier with my new black LS. Its truly a dream car I've waited for as I watched the new cars coming out over the past several years...

Last September was when I realized it could be a reality without sacrificing any other part of my family's lifestyle...i.e.Weekend trips, vacations and all the basics...

Its a shame Lexus doesn't build homes, clothes or electronics as well...

If anyone is ever moving in or out of St.Louis, feel free to contact me:

rajachellappa@realtor.com
http://www.HomesForSaleInStLouis.com
Attached Thumbnails 2004 430 Owners-rclexus.jpg  
Old 01-30-04, 11:26 AM
acf
Driver

Originally posted by RajaReMax
I sell real estate in St.Louis, Missouri...Home of the Rams, Cardinals & Blues!!!!

Couldn't be happier with my new black LS. Its truly a dream car I've waited for as I watched the new cars coming out over the past several years...

Last September was when I realized it could be a reality without sacrificing any other part of my family's lifestyle...i.e.Weekend trips, vacations and all the basics...

Its a shame Lexus doesn't build homes, clothes or electronics as well...

If anyone is ever moving in or out of St.Louis, feel free to contact me:

rajachellappa@realtor.com
[url]http://www.HomesForSaleInStLouis.com[/ url]
Nice!

And based on that shameless plug, I can see why you do so well.

Just kidding and I'm a lifelong Rams fan so...GO RAMS!
Old 01-30-04, 07:44 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Brett

if your looking for an idea to start a business. Remember this: Everyone will tell you to do what you love, but in reality you should do what makes you money and then you'll have plenty of time to do what you love on weekends and in your early retirement.
Thank you for that piece of advice. Good Luck in the future.
Old 01-30-04, 08:55 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto everything Daryl40 said. I bought my '03 Ultra Luxury new back in august. I'm a 20 year seasoned computer professional. I am blessed that my vocation is an avocation as well. I've never been married, have no ex's nor any children. I lead a very conservative and relatively austere lifestyle but my car is my big "splurge"....and it always will be. That said, what it costs or what the depreciation will be is, frankly, irrelevant to me.
Old 01-31-04, 04:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Having "been there, dun that"....I can tell you that "a Mercedes is a fool's Lexus".
Old 01-31-04, 08:23 AM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Originally posted by daryll40
In America, anyone can afford ANYTHING. But most cannot afford EVERYTHING. I avoid the "Everything" and my car is my "anything".
i like your thinking
Old 01-31-04, 05:46 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up my 2004 LS430 today, Mercury Metallic, Euro tuned suspension, Modern Luxury.

My plan is to drive it for about 5 or 6 years then I can feel better about the money I just spent.

30-something General Manager for "large software company" in the Pacific Northwest

Last edited by Mandingo; 01-31-04 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 11:35 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I find it interesting that you guys are all in your 30s. I am 44 and have been driving Lexus or Mercedes since age 29, but always found myself the youngest around here to be driving top of the line vehicles. I'm glad that the LS is not just an "old man's car". (I drove Cadillacs and Lincolns from age 24 to 29...back when even younger guys aspired to drive such cars).

Daryll40

Quick Reply: 2004 430 Owners