LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who's driven both a Lexus LS430 and Mercedes S430?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 05:24 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who's driven both a Lexus LS430 and Mercedes S430?

Hi there. I'm doing some research and I'm trying to figure out which car is best for the driver who WANTS his/her passengers to be completely disconnected from the road..

I've looked into the Infiniti Q45 - and it seems as if the Q isn't as refined as the LS430.. It's very quiet, but not quite as quiet.. It's got a very soft ride, but not quite as soft...

I've looked into the Acura RL.. It seems to be nearly as soft and quiet as the LS430, but it's too bland inside - which I feel takes from the comfort of the interior. The v6 isn't exactly encouraging either..

I've looked into the BMW 7-series, and it doesn't ride soft at all.. I stopped there and didn't bother to figure in road noise and/or wind noise - which I'm sure is minimal...

So then I've got the Mercedes S430 - which I've driven in. It's very quiet inside - and has a very soft ride. I've never been in a moving LS430 - so I've got no idea just how good these cars really are. I hear they're the quietest and softest-riding in the industry. How does the Lexus LS430 compare to the Mercedes S430 in ride quality and interior noise/comfort/etcetera?

Thank you...
Old 02-04-04, 10:28 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Cool driven S430 benz and LS430 lexus

HI i just so happened to have owned both cars in question first i owned the S430 benz after owning 3 lexus'.The first lexus i had was the ES300 2nd was the GS300 3rd was the GS400 then when i was about to buy the LS430 had a disagreement with the General Manager of lexus so i went to benz and bought a S430.The interior is great every piece of leather is sewed tp perfection wood in all the right places only problem interior was was navigation you had to in 2001 change disc for regions and they cost over $150 each.I had 9 electrical problems with the benz and even though its service and maintenance free 4 years or 50,000 mile was still to much trouble for a car a payed $78,500 for ride quality and wind noise are great though no complaints of performance and handlind even gas per mile was good for a big sedan like this car.Know of course they have a 7 speed so ride is better than was then.Electrical problems are benz's only down to me great car and respect in any city the car got me attention everytime i got in and out of it.Know as for the LS430 this car is not the attention grabber the benz was but thats why people who by Lexus buy Lexus not for attention quality interior is living room relaxing passengers go to sleep in this car the seats best out there benz uses a smaller seat look and you will see compare seat size thats waht appears as more leg and body room and it does the benz have about a inch and a half more leg room.but this Lexus is my last automobile i want when this one gets old ill buy another LS and ill buy it used not new Lexus offer 3years or 100,000 miles whatever comes first covers like new car warranty and you save 10 to 15 grand on car depending on year this is my first used luxury car i was told to buy used buy a Lexus dealership owner used since my first purchase at his dealership finally after paying cash for new i bought a LS430 used with 31,640 miles for $45,000 nav/marklevison blackcherry exterior ecru interior saved 16 grand at least if i would have bought 2003 new.But being not bias both cars are the top buys in my book besides electrical problems i had with S430 cars were even .My concern with benz is when past warranty at 50,000miles or 4 years what cost of parts that break cost then in closing its a matter of Benz S430 attentin of the star on the hood Lexus LS430 new school young kids dream car like benz was to older crowd not as benz flashy but is a confident buy for the well of who are not trying to prove prosperity they know.So after all is said in done its who you are that will determine what you should buy both cars lead the pack.th eacura RL inits defense is japanese like lexus high reliabilty lower service cost.Rmember wealth is in real estate, business' and in the bank not in cars new RL is $46,000 new with new bluetooth and nav and good bose system.BMW to many long term problems.
Old 02-05-04, 07:03 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for the review. It seems you like the Acura RL as well.. Not as flash on the interior there.. I wonder how the road/wind noise compares - and how soft the suspension is...
Old 02-05-04, 09:36 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Cool to sal from usermel

Hi Sal, yes i have driven RL before my girlfriend owns an Acura and the manager let her drive his during service its nice on ride also..Its more dependent on your standards as far as between Lexus, Acura and Mercedes.Of course Benz is the Mcdonalds of the bunch its the name we all know its the car people are told from childhood if there over 40 to get to show wealth.Lexus is the Wendy's of the pack more freshness for your money with discount prices for the same quality just hasnt been around long as Benz.Acura is more like Hardees if your in the south like me your familiar with Hardees great food but not as much publicity as the two others and weak in some parts of the car but quality that last longer than expected.Q45 I think you mentioned or was it the BMW?Both great choices but BMW has a reputation for cars getting older and breaking down like an NFL linebackers body at 50.Q45 I checked out before buying LS430 and after owning a S430 a bit small inside compared to the LS and S430 but quality for the money Loaded out the door in the Norfolk,Va Beach area Price all options I think but dont quote me on this $58,000-$60,000 a steal for backseat luxury and all front seat luxury.OH MAN check out that new VW that is supposed to compete with the S-class and the BMW impressive on looks.I have an old high school friend who works for VW and checked it out 2 weeks ago looks great.You will set a trend to be the first one with because VW doesnt have rep in high end luxury in USA yet but this is my sleeper Lexus,Benz,BMW,Jaguar,INfiniti and Acura have a new bully on the block and its company name is VW.Ultimately get what you like bro.Its things in one car another doesnt have or something one does the other doesnt.Its like your favorite team in sports or city its what you see in it.Plus your paying for it either in cash or month to month.All cars mentioned comand respect if thats what your after but if you want quality and reliabilty hay.Thatslike beauty when it comes to cars is in the eye of the beholder.I say test drive all before making any choice of the ones you like.See if you can drive the car over night also.You get more of a feel without salesman trying to sell you on car while driving it without distractionsof price etc.Separate the two price and how much you like car because if you but for price and dont like car youll be miserable.
Old 02-05-04, 09:54 AM
Brett
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the interior of the LS better and it does seem to be quieter. I did like the seats in the S-Class better though, they seemed hard at first but after a few minutes its amazing how supportive they feel. All in all, the differences between the 2 are hardly noticeable....except for price that is, go for the LS....I'll give you a ride in my LS next time your in tampa
Old 02-05-04, 10:06 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up To Brett

Your right Brett between the 2 cars the S430 and the LS430 the LS is the better buy.HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!

Last edited by usermel; 02-05-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 12:57 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own an LS430, and have only driven one once ever (I have a GS400)... but from what I could tell, and from every professional review I've read that has directly addressed road noise and ride quality, the LS430 is the best car on the market, period, unless you're considering some of the 300k dollar cars out there (Maybach, RR, Bentley, etc)

Last edited by Threxx; 02-05-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 03:14 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

One other thing to consider is resale value. The Mercedes, in actual dollars and in percentage of original purchase price, will depreciate more. Sure, some of that is due to the fact that it costs more in the first place but much of the % difference is because used Mercedes buyers know they ARE LIKELY to have expensive repairs while used Lexus buyers can expect a better repair record.

Daryll40, sick of visiting the Mercedes dealer so I came home to Lexus.
Old 02-05-04, 03:41 PM
MugenRD1
Rookie

I bet its a tough choice between choosing the Lexus or Mercedes.. I owned a LS400 and a S420 and both cars served my needs. Excellent cars but the Lexus was trouble free. Over my ownership of 5 years, the Lexus didn't have any problems at all, not even a light bulb.. Like 90% of Mercedes owners, the car did have minor electrical problems but it was all covered by warrenty. I currenty went back to Lexus and just got a RX330 as a daily driver for work and now I know why Lexus is on the top. Lexus really pays attention to detail and its nice to know that your buying something with quality.

For a status symbol then i'm sure most people would agree Mercedes gets the spotlight, but who wants to have a car that needs to be serviced all the time. I always admired the AMG Mercedes so I went ahead about bought a E55, so far so good * crosses fingers *

Make sure to drive both vechiles and see which one fits you better.. Excellent choices, can't go wrong with either, but just to let you know the new S class will be coming out soon.

Keep us posted...
Old 02-05-04, 03:58 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I know it might sound strange but I'm not actually buying a Lexus.. I own www.cadillacforums.com - I'm a big fan of Cadillac - but I have a lot of respect for Lexus and all three Japanese car companies. I think they're all really great and I'm just here to learn... I may one day buy a Lexus - I'd love to - but I've been a Cadillac enthusiast since the mid 80s.. There's just something about a Cadillac... To me... But I know a quality vehicle when I see one - hense my love for Lexus...

Yes, I'm probably crazy - but I even went ahead and purchased the domain www.lexusinsidenews.com - will anything ever come of it? Who knows? Maybe.. I love having websites for all my interests.. Anyone interested in running a site?

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 02-05-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 05:13 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I learned how to drive on "the new downsized" 1977 Sedan Deville. I still get excited when I find one...there are still a few out there. Actually, it was the same car that became the Fleetwood with the pretty-much same bodystyle and interior all the way until 1992. But the '77 still makes my heart flutter.
Old 02-06-04, 01:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey Brett!

That "ride" the next time I'm around Tampa didn't even give it away. I had no idea that was you, Brett.
Old 02-06-04, 01:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by daryll40
I learned how to drive on "the new downsized" 1977 Sedan Deville. I still get excited when I find one...there are still a few out there. Actually, it was the same car that became the Fleetwood with the pretty-much same bodystyle and interior all the way until 1992. But the '77 still makes my heart flutter.
Yeah, that '77 was tiny, eh?
Old 02-06-04, 01:34 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

It IS funny how the perception in car sizes has changed. Actually, I went with a friend to an Oldsmobile dealer in September, 1976 when the new "downsized" 1977 Olds 98 and 88 were just coming out. I saw a 2 door 98 and was commenting to the dealer what a great thing they did to the Cutlass. I saw the dealer turn sort of white...he was afraid that MY reaction (thinking the "small" 98 was a Cutlass) would be the overall market reaction. In reality, those 1977-1984 Olds 88/98, Buick LeSabre/Electra and Cadillac Deville/Fleetwood were some of GM's best cars and bestl SELLING cars. GM began the great market share slide when they went to FWD "kiddie-cars" (as they were known then) in 1985 with the top Olds, Buick and Cadillac models.

My brother drives an '03 Lincoln Town Car. I love my Lexus and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I do have to admit to enjoy driving his Town Car. Bench seat, W-I-D-E dash, big car feel...the current generation of American drivers won't know that feel other than in Town Car/Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

Daryll40
Old 02-06-04, 09:44 PM
lexuskrzy1
Driver School Candidate

Sal,
When I was searching for my car. I test drove the MB S430, MB S500, BMW 745i, and 2004 LS 430 with Euro Tuned Suspension. Best buy without question is the LS 430. The authorities at Car & Driver compared 7 luxury cars. The MB S430 came in 6th, BMW 745i at 3rd. And they pick the 2004 LS 430 at first place.
Check out the December issue of Car & Driver and it will give you a insight why they chose the LS 430 over the MB and BMW.

Joe
2004 LS430 Euro Tuned Susp, Modern Luxury Package, SmartAccess.
Mellinium Mercury/Ash

Quick Reply: Who's driven both a Lexus LS430 and Mercedes S430?