LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 and Q45?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 08:45 AM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Time or Reallly Long Time

I wouldn't be trying to decide between the two based on looks or ride. They're both nice cars. I'd be looking for the newest with less miles that hit my budget. If you keep a car for a long time (100000), the Q's used price will be less since its not as popular. If you keep a car for a really long time (100000+), I would get the Lexus.
Old 03-06-04, 09:47 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Rims or not, VIP or not, the new Q does nothing for me, it is just big and bland IMO, even those modded ones looked like 'blah'. Kinda lik SICK said, they dont inspire any hot or cold reactions, just lukewarm! I would def go for the LS based on looks alone. it is funny that those Q's can be purchased for such a low price now eh?

hey what if you purchased a 01 LS and updated it to the new headlights/hood/bumper/grille! Now THAT would be nice!
Old 03-06-04, 10:40 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
hey what if you purchased a 01 LS and updated it to the new headlights/hood/bumper/grille! Now THAT would be nice!
Haha yeah D, that would be nice, but if you add all of those extras up, it would probably come close to the pricing of an '04 LS, so you mind as well purchase an '04 off the lot. Plus you get all the interior goodies and gadgets like dynamic laser cruise control and 'Night' vision in the '04
Old 03-06-04, 11:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

When I was considering the Q, I found the seats uncomfortable and placement of various controls not to my liking. I didn't take for a drive cause if I wasn't comfortable in the seat, no way. As Sick mentioned, they take a major hit and that was a hard swallow. YMMV as they say. Bottom line, the Lexus is a nicer machine.
Old 03-06-04, 09:40 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I think Lexus is far more reliable and more of a standard luxury car because of it's presence. Infiniti is a little closer to Acura and Lexus is closer to MB. If you were to ask my opinion, I like the exclusivity and exotic look of the Q, and even though it may not be as solid as the LS, a car as refined as Infinit should not have major problems(unlike MB C class, BMW, and Audi). In terms of exclusivity, I see too many Lexuses in California, and it takes down from the appeal. But keep in mind Lexus sales are higher than Infiniti for a GOOD reason. Also service on the Infiniti may be more difficult, as Infiniti dealers are harder to find. Lexus also shares a lot with it's Toyota parent company making it more serviceable outside of Lexus dealers. I'd be willing to bet the Q45 has little in common with its Nissan counterparts. I did test drive a Q, and it was adequate, but nothing close to the elegant feel of the LS. But without comparing the two, the Q is an exceptional car, absolutely flawless. Too bad the Lexus still beats it in every way. But as I mentioned, I like the exclusivity and the exotic appeal. I'm young and lean toward the non-conservative opinion. If you are more conservative, stick with the LS. I garauntee it will leave you happy, now and for years to come. I would be more anxious to say that about the Q.
Old 03-06-04, 10:01 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
I think Lexus is far more reliable and more of a standard luxury car because of it's presence. Infiniti is a little closer to Acura and Lexus is closer to MB. If you were to ask my opinion, I like the exclusivity and exotic look of the Q, and even though it may not be as solid as the LS, a car as refined as Infinit should not have major problems(unlike MB C class, BMW, and Audi). In terms of exclusivity, I see too many Lexuses in California, and it takes down from the appeal. But keep in mind Lexus sales are higher than Infiniti for a GOOD reason. Also service on the Infiniti may be more difficult, as Infiniti dealers are harder to find. Lexus also shares a lot with it's Toyota parent company making it more serviceable outside of Lexus dealers. I'd be willing to bet the Q45 has little in common with its Nissan counterparts. I did test drive a Q, and it was adequate, but nothing close to the elegant feel of the LS. But without comparing the two, the Q is an exceptional car, absolutely flawless. Too bad the Lexus still beats it in every way. But as I mentioned, I like the exclusivity and the exotic appeal. I'm young and lean toward the non-conservative opinion. If you are more conservative, stick with the LS. I garauntee it will leave you happy, now and for years to come. I would be more anxious to say that about the Q.
DJ, very good points about the unique qualities of the Q and the Infiniti brand as well. Lexus has and is still selling really well in the luxury auto class, compared to Infiniti, Mercedes and the rest of the brands. I agree that service/maintenance and parts sharing most likely become a different story amongst Lexus and Infiniti. As far as parts go, Lexus and Toyota really come to hand in hand (as does Acura and Honda), but I'm not so sure how much Infiniti and Nissan share parts with each other.

Believe it or not, I actually came real close to purchasing a used '00-'01 I30 as I was thinking of trading in my previous ES. Then I think to myself how much of a change it's going to be for me if I were to slip into Nissan/Infiniti mode vs. being part of the Lexus family for several years. In the end, Lexus wins me over for their great customer service, and quality and reliability of their cars and parts, not to mention refinement in luxury
Old 03-06-04, 10:05 PM
theRain04
To Infinity and Beyond

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
THe Q45 does not even get include in car magazine comparos against the LS, S, 7, etc.
The Q45 placed 4th behind the GS, A6 and 540 in Car and Driver.

In driving it, the car offers no reason to buy over the competition. There is nothing wrong with it but nothing great about it either. For 60k loaded, buyers WANT and desire panache and a nameplate that means more than a can of pork and beans. Part of why the A8 is a slow seller and the VW Phaeton is doomed to fail. I left unimpressed and it was a nice car but I could not buy it over similar priced or cheaper Lexus or the competition.

It is an incredible used car, losing near 1/2 it's value in a year or 2. Styling is not my cup of tea but it is a well built car.
no reason to buy over the competition ?? what about the strongest engine in its class ? what about the greatest value of any car you could possibly buy ? the Q offers everything that the LS does and better handling to boot.
Old 03-06-04, 10:08 PM
theRain04
To Infinity and Beyond

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Rims or not, VIP or not, the new Q does nothing for me, it is just big and bland IMO, even those modded ones looked like 'blah'. Kinda lik SICK said, they dont inspire any hot or cold reactions, just lukewarm! I would def go for the LS based on looks alone. it is funny that those Q's can be purchased for such a low price now eh?

I guess everyone has their opinion on looks, but i honestly think the interior of the Q is definately the nicest and most luxurious of any sedan in its class. Plus you get that rear camera that you don't get with the LS =)