?Deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 10:45 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ?Deal or not?

Hey,
just wondering if you guys think this is a deal! I've seen even better, however this looks pretty darn good. It seems private so less likely it is a lemon.

A 2002 ls430 black on black with the chrome 17 rims, ultra luxury packagefront and rear power heated seats w/ massage, lazer cruise control, and the gold packageunfortunetly

The price $47.5, with 13 miles!!!! I know it sounds good, unfortunetely i am not seriously looking at the moment, but possibly any time in the next few monthes.

I'll include the pic for visual even though you most likely already have the exact color combination in your mind. I would make it bigger but can't help putting the resolution to close to zero. The size bugs me too, but oh well!

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-04, 05:18 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

13 miles on a 2-yr old LS? Not to turn down the excitement, but something doesn't sound right with that. You should check to see if the odometer has been rolled back, if you're planning to pursue this deal. You can go to http://www.carfax.com and get a Carfax report on the LS (have the VIN number on hand).

If you want to post bigger pictures (highly recommended for us with weary eyes) , go to the Gallery section in this forum and upload the pictures into your album. Then, choose the preferred image size (usually it's 1 or 2 size choices for each pictures), right-click and copy the URL of the image, then go back to your reply message post and use the [IMG] tag within the post and paste the image URL in there. This method also allows you to insert multiple images within one post (and far better than the option of the 100K max file attachment)
Old 07-22-04, 06:13 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Thanks,
but again know the drill of putting pics
This is a local deal, and private - just from the pic, but also the number given seems that it is a private owner.

Maybe the guy stores is for winter??? It is possible because get very cold weather round here, and it is more common for wealthy folks to have more than one car.

If the car was in a big lot, then that's another story would beleive the odometer aint correct.
Perhaps this is an independent dealer, and truefully people are generally more trustworthy then some parts of the states. Anyone?

Those with more experience will know if this can be possible, must it be too good to be true?
Old 07-22-04, 06:45 AM
Strida
Rookie

It might be 13 "K" miles not 13 miles. Did you talk to the owner?
Old 07-22-04, 06:56 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Nope,
I am sure it is
~But to be honest whenever someone says 999 K miles, I don't got no clue what their talking about- Why not just say miles! Actually though, yes it is definetely 20 something miles because I am used to normal kilometers I was not positive about conversions so I converted it on a website, from 20 some kilometers to 12 or whatver number I mentioned.

~Strida-
you being in Canada, does it make more sense that the reason the kilos are so low is because it is a second car of his???

More imput woud be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 07-22-04 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 08:38 AM
Strida
Rookie

Originally posted by Lex_Fnatic
Nope,
I am sure it is
~But to be honest whenever someone says 999 K miles, I don't got no clue what their talking about- Why not just say miles!
~
When someone says 999K miles it means that the car has 999,000 miles. Its a visual illusion so that the miles doesnt look like its a lot. Its like in the store where products are priced 39.99, it grabs consumers attention who would not pay more than $40 dollars for a certain product.

I really doubt that the car has 20 kilometers specially if it is privately owned. The trip from the dealer back to his place alone would probably equal to 20 kilometers. So its highly likely that it has 20,000 kilometers.
Old 07-22-04, 10:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Probably a typo in the ad. When I bought my Celica, it was listed in the ad at 180,000 miles for $500. It turned out to have 18K miles for $5K. The owner had not seen the paper and wondered why no one had called on it.
Old 07-22-04, 11:14 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Thanks,

you know you are probably right- 20 km ...miles - ouch impossible. Even driving rarely 3 shorts drives would come to that. It does say dealer which I can't help thinking they put the car on a driveway, and they do this normally just to get poeple at ease. Unless this guy has like 20 cars and buys them all new then sells, this seems weird. I don't get it though because normally what I see is in used car ads online and in the newspaper, they include they avoid including all four key items year, mileage, price, and model. If they do include 3 our of 4 then most likely they are being upfront. The way to tell cheaters is avoiding the price or something.

In the case of odometer being rolled back, I don't think that is the case as that is more typical at some junky used car dealership or garages which sell cars which you'd be really desperate to see a real untouched car that you want to buy.

Usually in adds, it says lexus ls400...1998, with only 102 km. Then they don't include the price, which I can't stand so don't give them benefit of asking them more questions. Sometimes they don't even say the km, just price.

I admit in a previous car we did actually have the odometer rolled back just to comply to the amount of km in our warranty. This was not my decision, and I am definetely not proud of that. I would hate to be treated like this; you except the truth, knowing important things like this if it was you.

Perhaps the odometer was rolled back, as here in the add, as I said before: "km" was used, so 211 km is out of the question at the price. At first I had a good feeling about this being none cheating, but now it's a bad feeling I was carelessly noting how 21 km really isn't very much, not even enough for it to be a summer car for the guy who owned it. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 07-22-04 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 06:10 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

People.
still here? Hey not all at once...

thanks.....