LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'05 E55 Replaces '04 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 12:50 AM
lexsee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that car looks awesome....and those pics are nice. what mega pixel is that nikon?
oh and i used the front 3/4 view as my desktop backround.....hope ya dont mind. lol
Old 09-07-04, 02:25 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

your E55 is awesome!! congrats!

it is my dream car indeed! just look at my forum ID.

i hope i can get it one day
Old 09-07-04, 07:58 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome car. Congratulations!!!
Old 09-07-04, 10:13 AM
houstonnw
Rookie

Nice car. Other than the HP, I'm most jealous of the front brake calipers. The LS430's front discs are only 1/10" smaller in diameter IIRC, but Lexus put no effort into making the calipers look good.
Old 09-07-04, 11:00 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by Mandingo
Beowulf - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as you get used to the E55 - pros and cons - when compared to the 2004 LS430.

My LS with modern luxury and euro tuned suspension was about $30,000 less than a similarly equipped E55 - what does that additional money buy (apart from 200HP )?

I am sure the performance of the AMG weighs heavily in its favor but there aren't that many times I can even use the LS430 to it's maximum (joining freeways, overtaking).

What do you miss about the LS430 (if anything)?
That is very true. I have an SC400, which is in fact, slower than the LS430, and I can say it is too fast, too powerful and has gotten me into trouble several times already.

It is definitely more powerful than I'll ever need, and just about all that I want... maybe a 98-00 SC400 someday...
Old 09-07-04, 11:13 AM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the kind comments!

lexsee, the Nikon D40 is 6MP.

houstonnw, IIRC the LS 430 has 12.4" ventilated front rotors with 4-piston calipers and 12.2" ventilated rear rotors, with 2-piston calipers. The E55 has 14.2" ventilated and perforated front rotors with 8-piston calipers and 13" ventilated and perforated rear rotors with 4-piston calipers. Interesting that they cast the rotors with perforations for heat dissipation, rather than doing the usual cross-drilling, which can lead to stress fractures.
Old 09-08-04, 08:42 AM
cschow
Rookie

Congrats on the E55. I love the way the current generation E looks and might go that same route. What options did you get on your E55 and did the dealer discount it from MSRP? I hope to see you over on the E55 boards of mbworld!
Old 09-08-04, 03:55 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

Originally posted by Beowulf
Thanks for all the kind comments!

lexsee, the Nikon D40 is 6MP.

houstonnw, IIRC the LS 430 has 12.4" ventilated front rotors with 4-piston calipers and 12.2" ventilated rear rotors, with 2-piston calipers. The E55 has 14.2" ventilated and perforated front rotors with 8-piston calipers and 13" ventilated and perforated rear rotors with 4-piston calipers. Interesting that they cast the rotors with perforations for heat dissipation, rather than doing the usual cross-drilling, which can lead to stress fractures.
You're right, I double checked and the front rotors are 12.4". Maybe I read 12.4 and saw 12.9 and then added an inch to get the 13.9?

What really caught my eye reading the first test of the E55 was the 14.2" front rotors. I have a 1992 Miata in the garage and the front wheels are 14". Amazing.
Old 09-08-04, 04:02 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by cschow
Congrats on the E55. I love the way the current generation E looks and might go that same route. What options did you get on your E55 and did the dealer discount it from MSRP? I hope to see you over on the E55 boards of mbworld!
Hi Chris - sent you a PM to hold down the bandwidth on the Lexus board - matter of fact, we've already communicated on the E55 board at mbworld!
Old 09-08-04, 04:36 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by houstonnw
You're right, I double checked and the front rotors are 12.4". Maybe I read 12.4 and saw 12.9 and then added an inch to get the 13.9?

What really caught my eye reading the first test of the E55 was the 14.2" front rotors. I have a 1992 Miata in the garage and the front wheels are 14". Amazing.
The LS 430 brakes are substantial and nothing to sneeze at! They did a wonderful job of stopping for me - never a complaint in 6 months behind the wheel. One other nice thing about the LS 430 brake pads (as opposed to their German counterparts) is the relatively light brake dust accumulation. I've had very light accumulation on the E55 so far (307 miles on the odo), but I wouldn't be surprised to see more buildup. Our BMW was notorious for brake dust and I opted for harder pads that stopped great, but had a problem with frequent brake squeal. Never bothered me, but drove my wife nuts.

Last edited by Beowulf; 09-08-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 06:54 PM
azari
Intermediate

Was the BMW M5 on your list at all before you bought the Benz? Did you give it some consideration, or test-drive one?

If you test-drove one (or anyone else), how did you find it different from your benz?
Old 09-08-04, 07:22 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

After a horrible experience on the last of three Benz's (SL, S-Class, E-class) I bought and then watching my best friend buy a new E320 and have a similar awful experience, I have to wonder how Mercedes sells any cars at all. My friend's E320 seems to live in the dealer's service facility just like my last one did. I literally grew up with Mercedes and absolutely loved them, toured their factories as a teenager, etc. But it seems like Mercedes has fallen incredibly behind the Japanese in reliability. Watching Mercedes fail has been like watching a relative die.

Living mainly with Lexus automobiles the past 14 years has been a revelation and a relief. But I still hope Mercedes will recover and someday find its way back.
Old 09-08-04, 07:23 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

No, the upcoming E60 V10 M5 was not on my list. Sorry, while I have been a past and frequent BMW owner, the Bangled 5 and 7 series versions (especially) have left me absolutely cold. If that is their future direction, I doubt I will buy another.
Old 09-08-04, 07:43 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kansas
After a horrible experience on the last of three Benz's (SL, S-Class, E-class) I bought and then watching my best friend buy a new E320 and have a similar awful experience, I have to wonder how Mercedes sells any cars at all. My friend's E320 seems to live in the dealer's service facility just like my last one did. I literally grew up with Mercedes and absolutely loved them, toured their factories as a teenager, etc. But it seems like Mercedes has fallen incredibly behind the Japanese in reliability. Watching Mercedes fail has been like watching a relative die.

Living mainly with Lexus automobiles the past 14 years has been a revelation and a relief. But I still hope Mercedes will recover and someday find its way back.
Best of continued luck to you in your Lexus! Simply put, our '04 LS 430 ownership experience was just fine, but did not ultimately fit our personal objectives. Each has their merits and I sincerely hope you're as happy with your decision as I am with mine.
Old 09-08-04, 08:04 PM
azari
Intermediate

Beowulf,

Sorry, I didn't mean the new generation, but instead the last one (with the V8). You probably didn't want to buy used, but say the last generation would still be offered as new; would you give a look along with the benz?

I agree though, the new BMWs are just horrible. I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with the new designs. They are just hideous! I would take their older styles ANY day over their "new direction" cars. The thing is, it's not just the exterior that's ugly, but also the interiors too. But then again, looks are subjective; some may like them.

Quick Reply: '05 E55 Replaces '04 LS 430