LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 08:58 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LS 430 wind noise

I took my wife's '04 LS 430 on the freeway for the first time this weekend and was truly amazed at the amount of wind noise that the car had at 65 MPH. At first I thought one of the windows was partially open; noty so. Then I thought that the oscillating center vents were the culprit; turned the ac off and the noise persisted. It sounds as though the noise is originating from around the side views mirrors. For a car that is reported to be tomb like quiet I was really surprised to hear this. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-08-04, 09:10 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

I'm surprised to hear that, I have a 03 LS. At 65mph, other than a bit of tire noise, there is absolutely no wind noise at all.................The wind noise do start to creep in @ about 75-80 mph

Maybe a faulty rubber seal?? Hope your local lexus dealer can get it fixed for you.

Last edited by TRD-bB; 09-08-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 11:13 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Also remember.......

If your driving on a windy day with a wind current that is not coming from the front of the car to the back,it will cause noise. Wind blows in different directions at times and i noticed this in my LS 430 and all the cars i drive. Mostly on high windy or moderate windy days. Depending on the direction of the wind the noise is more or less. It also could be what TRD-bB suggested. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 09-08-04, 03:39 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Unhappy Re: Also remember.......

Originally posted by usermel
If your driving on a windy day with a wind current that is not coming from the front of the car to the back,it will cause noise. Wind blows in different directions at times and i noticed this in my LS 430 and all the cars i drive. Mostly on high windy or moderate windy days. Depending on the direction of the wind the noise is more or less. It also could be what TRD-bB suggested. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
When this occured there was no wind. In fact it was perfectly still all day.
Old 09-08-04, 03:46 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

I got my 2004 LS in February and I must agree that there is no wind noise below 70mph or so.

There seems to be a lot of tire noise, but I'm not sure if the Dunlop tires are extra noisy or it's just that tire noise is the only thing you hear.

It seems that you might have a problem and I would suggest that you take one of the dealer's demo LS430's out to compare. You could just be ultra sensitive to wind noise.

BTW, I consider myself ultra sensitive, and I am amazed how quiet the car is.
Old 09-09-04, 01:07 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems to me there is some engine noise until it warms up, then its only when youre really accelerating that you hear the motor. not much wind noise here but my michelin mxv4 tires are noisy. they came with the car and I hate them. looking to buy some continental extreme contacts.
Old 09-09-04, 04:31 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

Originally posted by digital_b
seems to me there is some engine noise until it warms up, then its only when youre really accelerating that you hear the motor. not much wind noise here but my michelin mxv4 tires are noisy. they came with the car and I hate them. looking to buy some continental extreme contacts.
Now that sound is NOT a problem IMO. Car & Driver called it "ripping silk". Not sure if I know what ripping silk sounds like, but I do try to let my LS make that sound as much as I can without losing my license!
Old 09-09-04, 05:48 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally posted by houstonnw
Now that sound is NOT a problem IMO. Car & Driver called it "ripping silk". Not sure if I know what ripping silk sounds like, but I do try to let my LS make that sound as much as I can without losing my license!
Hahaha, now that you've mentioned it, I do remember reading that C&D comparison.
The LS is the next step up from silk underwear, do they have some sort of silk fetish?

Since everything is so quiet in this car, the only noticeable noise left are the tires.
Old 09-09-04, 05:49 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by houstonnw
LOL - great comment! The Lexus V8 does indeed make sweet sounds if you tip into the throttle. I would advise anyone so inclined to observe Rule 1) use common sense, as well as Rule 2) plan in advance, with adequate protection.

The former keeps me out of folly, the latter (a Valentine 1) has saved my butt whenever Rule 1 might have pushed the limits.

FWIW, I haven't had a speeding citation in 15+ years.

Last edited by Beowulf; 09-09-04 at 05:59 PM.