LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sheepskins For LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 06:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Sheepskins For LS430

I am thinking that I might want to get sheepskins for the driver's seat of my LS430. Do they sell them driver's only or must I buy a pair? And where can I get good sheepskins that are custom fit to the LS430?
Old 10-14-04, 12:47 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up I got ya Daryll40!

Yes you can buy sheepskin seatcovers separate. You can just buy the drivers seat if you like. I always buy either the front 2 seats, including the headrest. Each lexus i have owned i have had seatcovers you will love them. The aren't hot in the summer and aren't cold in the winter when you sit on them. I never desire to use my seatheaters. There are different types you can buy from custom made, deluxe, or tailormade. I always buy tailormade, the most expensive becuase there 1inch thick and the seat comfort is great. There are a range of color choices also. Welcome to the wonderful world of seatcovers(sheepskin). This is a great way to protect seats, and when i trade the dealers always comment on my seats being perfect. Do a cleansing and conditioning before having them installed. And look in your local phone book for someone who specializes in installing seatcovers. Also there might be some local companies in your area that do sheepskin seatcovers and install them. In Virginia Beach, Va we have a local company called, The Sheepskin that does seatcovers and installs.Check out my favorie company for seatcovers (sheepskin) WWW.RMSHEEPSKIN.COM GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 10-14-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:27 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up See no respnses but me!

Daryll40 see no responses but me. Most have not had the sheepskins in there car. It hasn't became a part of the traditional modificationing of cars. People are like sheep they follow what is popular, not what makes them happy or what can be more of a bonus. Im telling you Daryll40 the sheepskins make the seating so much more comfortable, and the cleaning of you leather you have to do no more. Again in the winter cold seats no issue, in the summer hot seats no issue. This is like the best kept secret to seat protection to cars. Dealers don't promote this because they don't want you to trade in an even better conditioned car because the seats have no wear or discoloration from dark jeans. And the match you can get from the covers is incredible, people always comment on my seatcovers when they see them because there so rare. One girl i know thought it was chinchilla, I told her it was sheepsin from australia and she had never seen it. Its to me like being a member of American Express Platinum and going to Sax Fifth Ave or Nieman Marcus, a special section is there for those with the Platinum or Black card (centurion). You either know about that or you don't. Its about lifestyle, and luxury and 1 inch thick sheepskin seatcovers from Australian merino sheeps is a luxury covering to protect your seats with a nice look. Minimum $220 a seat unless they are running a special at Rocky Mountain sheepskin(www.rmsheepskin.com).Also i don't want to offend animal lovers about my choice of sheepskin covers and am sorry if your offended. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 10-16-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:44 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Usermel,

You convinced me! I'm ready to order! Question is, what color would go best with my "parchment" (light tan) interior? I only plan to do the driver's seat, since I am alone 95% of the time. Frankly, I don't care about how well it saves the interior. In the end, you don't get that much more on resale either way. Yeah, you might get a little more, but not enough to justify the cost of the sheep. I am going to get it for the comfort...so I only need the driver's side.

What color, y'all?

Daryll40
Old 10-16-04, 12:04 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by daryll40
Usermel,

You convinced me! I'm ready to order! Question is, what color would go best with my "parchment" (light tan) interior? I only plan to do the driver's seat, since I am alone 95% of the time. Frankly, I don't care about how well it saves the interior. In the end, you don't get that much more on resale either way. Yeah, you might get a little more, but not enough to justify the cost of the sheep. I am going to get it for the comfort...so I only need the driver's side.

What color, y'all?

Daryll40
I'd go with Mushroom but Pearl is a possibility as well.
Old 10-16-04, 06:11 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default Installation of Sheepskins

By the way, what's the "deal" on installing ROCKYMOUNTAINSHEEPSKINS? Must I take it to an "installer"? Why don't they just slip over the seat? I would assume a professional installation will be better than what you get with the throw on kind. However, what should this cost for just the driver's seat, and when I go to get rid of the car, what's involved in taking it off?

Daryll40
Old 10-16-04, 08:02 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Installation!

You can do your own front seat D40, they send instuctions how to do it when you order from www.rmsheepskin.com for front seats. The backseats i always get a pro here in Va Beach,Va to install the backseats. I would call rmsheepskin and ask for a sample to match to your intereior before chosing your color. I can tell you what color i think but would rather you had a chance to match it with the sample first. I matched my first seatcovers with the sample first. If you can't install yourself D40, a local guy in PA can do it for a few bucks. I was charged here in VA the one time I let someone install for me my front drivers seat $20 it can be more technical in the LS430 than the GS models. I did all 3 of my GS's myself, the LS430 I have now I let The Sheepskin, here in Va Beach install the front 2 seats. They are one of the local sheepskin seatcover companies here locally. The Rocky Mountain Sheepskin Comanies # is 1(800)428-7216. San Jose-main is (408)266-2110.Good Shopping. Also the can send you a brochure like I have. They sell everything sheepskin, rugs,boots,slippers and mittens. And i never had any quality issues with them in 7 years. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 10-16-04, 08:05 PM
unrealii
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering, do these interfere with the side air bags in our car?
Old 10-16-04, 08:19 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Oh yeah!

The don't just slip over seats because their custom and tailormade for each make and model by year. And there modified (sheepskin seatcovers) for airbags etc. So be sure to give correct make and year for your car. Example 1995 LS 400 has different changes than would a 2004 LS430 to the seats, by size among other things. This is important for air bags especially, as unrealii ask. There is a section of velcro that will allow airbag to deploy out of the side of the seat in case of accident. Rocky mountain is no small time kid trying to come up they do all cars and makes just about, and make modifications according to your cars needs by the year and make and model. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 10-16-04 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 02:42 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

By the way, do the heated seats project thru the sheepskins? I would doubt that they are much needed, but wonder anyway for a very cold day.
Old 10-18-04, 02:50 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by daryll40
By the way, do the heated seats project thru the sheepskins? I would doubt that they are much needed, but wonder anyway for a very cold day.
No, once you put genuine sheepskin covers on the heat will not project through the skins.
Old 10-18-04, 03:04 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Seat heaters!

I haven't tried it yet and haven't needed to yet. It still should work though, ask the dealerships service department if its o.k. Remember thats another added benefit to protecting the seats people are missing out on. Its the luxury seatcover as opposed to a $29.99 seatcover non-tailormade. 1 inch thick for the top of the line Australian merino sheepskin, talk about seat cusions. Custom fit seatcovers are 7/8' inch thick and the deluxe superfit seatcovers are 3/4" inch thick. The standard superfit seatcover is a 1/2" inch thick. All seatcovers have a warranty also, with the tailormade having a lifetime warranty, and are what is recommended for vehicles with seat mounted airbags. They think of it all, a top notch company. Mercedes tradition with the quality of a Lexus in seatcover terms. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 10-18-04, 03:13 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Thanks for all of the info. I called today and the lady was very nice and knowledgable and will send samples so I can choose my color.

It's a funny thing...for years I thought leather was the cat's meow. But I have started to realize that leather is cold in the winter, warm in the summer, shows marks easily and doesn't hold up as well as fabric. It's overrated, although it looks wonderful on a new car. I think the sheepskin will be just the ticket. I am looking forward to getting mine. I can't see spending the money to do the entire car, however, since I am 90% of the time driving alone, at least in the Lexus (we use the wife's Mountaineer for most family outings).

Daryll40
Old 10-18-04, 08:42 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Good luck on the Seatcovers!

Your right about just doing the front seats or just the drivers seat in your case. The sheepskin covers can be pricey. I just have my front 2 seats now, and should have done that on my last car (GS) I had all the headrest, armrest and seats covered, only to sell the car. I had all black to Daryll40 and SharpLS that is the best color to be able to get when you have a black interior. Man the exterior was silver and the interior was black, man a site to see. My GS before that was the gray or light charcoal color and the seat covers were gray also, that was a nice look. I now have a ecru interior, pearl seat covers look great also. Im glad they were nice at Rocky Mountain Sheepskin also Daryll40, they always are and professional. I think i'll stick with my 2 front seats now Daryll40 also, you made me think twice about doing the back seat and i was about to order the whole backseat and headrest and armrest this friday. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 10-18-04 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 11:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

OK, I got the samples and ordered a l "tailor-made" sheepskin in "pearl" (color) from Rocky Mountain Sheepskins for the driver's seat of my 2004 LS. Takes 3-4 weeks. I am looking forward to it. Thanks to all, especially Usermel, for the recommendation and the information. I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Sheepskins For LS430