LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vs Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 11:37 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious. how could you question owning the car based on your age?
Old 10-29-04, 02:08 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by digital_b
just curious. how could you question owning the car based on your age?
age doesn't have anything to do with what car you own, my gf is only 23 and she bought her LS430 with her own $ =) just have to work hard and save some money and you could attain anything you want at any age =)

Last edited by GSing430; 10-29-04 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 06:33 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I truly feel both car exterior is not all that great/BORING.
But if you’re more into performance I would go for the RL and if you’re more into luxury purchase the Lexus. I guess whatever car brings a smile to your face every morning that's the car you should purchase. Every evening on my way home from work I’m dieing to just look at my NSX. I'm still amaze when a person say why pay 50K Acura. Sound kind like the girl at the bar when I tell her a new Nsx cost 90K and her responds is why didn't you get a MB or M3?
Then after a quick look at the coupe she comes home with me for a few hours.
Old 10-29-04, 08:45 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the Lexus - easy choice. A proven car with phenomenal reliability, great resale and Toyota engineering. An Acura truly is less car for the money. Sportier - who cares? Buy a GS430 if you want sportier. The Acura is less car. Not even an option. BTW, as far as the previous post - I'm glad you love your NSX.... But you could have bought a Z06 Vette (or even a normal C5) and saved 1/2 your money, had a faster car that is quicker on the road and the track (remember when they had to strap a supercharger to the Comptech NSX so it could run with the Camaro's and Stang's a few years ago in the Speedvision Cup series?) . Yes, the interior of a Vette sucks and the NSX is a well engineered car - for 1991.... Sorry don't mean to put down your Acura, it is a fine machine - just WAY too expensive in my opinion...
Old 10-29-04, 09:12 AM
rogers2
Racer

Trust me pimp I never get offend by another person opinion. That's why I said a person should purchase what brings a smile to their face. At this moment I don't think a Vette will bring a smile to my face. It's just not my style but I have respect for the car. A Vette outperform a M3 and a lot porsches but you don't see people running over to Vette?
Sounds as if you need to visit the Acura website and view the reason the NSX cost so much.
How is the new RL a lesser car than a GS300 or 430? On second thought don't answer that questions b/c I don't want high jack some one else thread. I just thank it's silly for a person to say the new RL isn't worth 50K. Just b/c it's emblem doesn't say MB/BMW/or Lexus. When it's clearly offer so much.
Just last week my girl was thinking about trading her gs300 for the new Acura Tl. Is she making a mistake? I don't know but if it brings a smile to her face who cares?
Old 10-29-04, 10:18 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

Yes - you are right people should own what makes them happy. I was just giving my opinion(ated?) view as I have been quite unimpressed with Acura's in the past. I have owned a 3.0CL and it was a nice car - for a while. Then the interior fell apart, the tranny decided it had had enough (at 100k) and the brakes were always iffy. I now drive a first gen LS and it is still just like new - nothing wrong at all - impressive. That being said, if you love your Acura then that is great. I have a love of cars with debatable merit too (I have a '77 Lincoln) and appreciate different rides. As far as the engineering in the Honda NSX, yes, it is fantastic... but at the end of the day what is the point if it is slower and doesn't outperform comparible vehicles? It does look very good and yes it draws a crowd. I wouldn't recommend the TL - transmission issues and FWD, but I like cars for whats inside not what they look like - and since the TL looks better (to some) then you probably like the TL better. Whatever I'm not arguing just giving my view - which is what this post was for I think... (RL vs. LS).

Cheers.
Old 10-30-04, 01:05 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: LS430 vs Acura RL

Originally posted by LXTASY
After driving a "slew of cars" I have narrowed it down to the new 2005 Acura RL or a 2001-2003 LS430. I love the added room the LS provides, but love the way the AWD RL handles. The trunk space is VASTLY different (20.2 vs 13.1), everything else is pretty close, except maybe that the engine in the LS has way more torque AND achieves it at lower RPM. I guess I should also mention that the RL has a ton more STANDARD options, and some that the LS does not have (at least the 2001-2003). I'm going to think about this over the weekend while my GS300 is in the newspaper for sale and see which way I end up going. Any constructive comments are appreciated.
I have a TL Type-S FWD for winter driving . Since you live in TX, you don't really need AWD. I would pick the LS400 over the RL. My first Lexus was a pre-owned 93 LS400 and I traded it at 95K miles without a single problem. I also have more people calling my Acura a "Honda" than my Lexus a "Toyota"
Old 10-31-04, 11:41 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

thats because the acura is a honda. in top gear magazine from october issue there is a picture of the new 'honda legend'. here its the new rl. the euro version has a honda grille with a honda logo. it looks better than the acura grill on the new rl. oh and my 04 tl that I traded for my ls 430 is really nothing but a better honda accord. I wasnt too happy about that as well as the fake wood parts and the fact its made in ohio. kinda takes the luxury out of it. still it was a good car, just not as good as my ls 430. by a mile. old man car my ***.
Old 11-01-04, 04:04 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy Tiger

Digital, I think you are being a bit hard on Acura. For me I prefer Lexus, but this is not a black and white concept. Acura has some pro's, and Lexus has some con's. It's all about preference.

With respect to the age issue, at 34 I just thought I would be looking for a sports car or something, but The LS 430 was my favorite. I was just surprised that's all lol.

Anyway I think we need to keep the tone more positive and accepting. Maybe you have election fever? lol

Either way, Acura or Lexus, neither one is a bad choice.

On a completely unrelated topic.... I have to bring my baby in for it's 50,000 mile service. My dealership is pesturing me to pick up my winter Hakka Q winter tires for my GS300. They were used for only a few thousand miles and I have no use for them. Is there any way I can sell these?

Fred
Old 11-01-04, 06:41 AM
rogers2
Racer

Originally posted by digital_b
thats because the acura is a honda. in top gear magazine from october issue there is a picture of the new 'honda legend'. here its the new rl. the euro version has a honda grille with a honda logo. it looks better than the acura grill on the new rl. oh and my 04 tl that I traded for my ls 430 is really nothing but a better honda accord. I wasnt too happy about that as well as the fake wood parts and the fact its made in ohio. kinda takes the luxury out of it. still it was a good car, just not as good as my ls 430. by a mile. old man car my ***.
In a lot ways I agree an Acura is just a more luxury Honda. I respect Toyota for not stepping on Lexus toes in that way. Honda/Acura offer niche cars. I truly feel the Honda Accord is just a great car and I feel the accord can't be touch at its price. Look at a Toyota Camry commercials "No life" but Toyota sells a butt load of them while offering a weak 4/6 cylinder version. In that way it doesn’t offend their Lexus customers but Honda basically says **** it. Toyota has a great strategy. They offer numerous of these small little vehicles with different names and whatever and people purchase them like hotcakes.
I mean think about it a 6 speed Honda accord run right with a gs430 or Acura TL. Why is that? Because Acura engineers or whatever doesn’t separate themselves enough from Honda?

Last edited by rogers2; 11-01-04 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 08:10 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

I'd like to drive a Toyota Celsior just as much as a Lexus LS430... The big difference between Acura and Lexus is that Toyota has a HUGE range of cars - especially in Japan. They have a much larger range of high-end vehicles that they can bring to North America, rebadge them as Lexi brethren and sell them with credibilty and without impeding the sales of lower end Toyota's. Too bad they felt they had to separate themselves from the Toyota nameplate to gain this cred. Honda simply does not have the same range of vehicles, so they have several cars that cross-over into each others territory. The Camry sells well because it is a good car. Same as the Corolla. Both are extremely boring, but are sold as plebian peolpe movers and they do that well. Great resale and reliability keep them at the top of the sales charts. Acura's are much more fun, but don't have the "last forever" genetics - and people know this.

Oh yeah - back on topic - still take the LS over the RL....
Old 11-01-04, 09:58 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

look no one defended acura more than I did when I owned my 04 tl. now I own a real luxury car, my ls 430. the tl is a great value and very fast and a good sport sedan. it is NOT a luxury car. I dont think any current acura is when measured against lexus. I have driven camrys and I am impressed for what you pay for even stripped which in fact is a misnomer since the base camrys which my cheap benz dealer gave as loaners [they were very low mileage however or brand new] come with lots of stuff. I dont think there is enough difference between the loaded accord and the 04 tl aside from styling. and fake anything isnt luxury. sorry if you dont like my tone but its just dry and to the point. dont read between the lines. oh and I think there isnt enough difference in the base gs300 and the camry for me to buy a gs300 after driving one with 43 miles on it. I was VERY disappointed in the gs300. [to me] there wasnt 20 grand worth of difference in the 2 cars and the camry was just as quiet and MORE comfortable despite the mohair/whateveritis fabric on the seats. I loved the gs until I drove one. of course the gs430 is probably better but I am making a point [personal] that I think lexus has some patching to do to its lineup as well. I am sure the new gen gs will be better than the current one. the bottom line to me, lexus=luxury acura=value.
Old 11-01-04, 01:05 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

That is surprising about the GS300.... I really like them too, but I haven't driven one.... At least my choice between LS and GS may be easier than I thought next time! I'd like to see a sporty V8 coupe with a 6-speed manual in the Lexus lineup.
Old 11-01-04, 07:07 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Picked up my Silver/gray, 2001 LS400, 44K miles, Nav, Mark Levinson, brand new tires, chrome wheels, original owner this evening. Now all I have to do is figure out the Nav, setting the radio, garage door opener, etc. No pics.........have to wait for the sun to come up.
Old 11-01-04, 09:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LXTASY
Picked up my Silver/gray, 2001 LS400, 44K miles, Nav, Mark Levinson, brand new tires, chrome wheels, original owner this evening. Now all I have to do is figure out the Nav, setting the radio, garage door opener, etc. No pics.........have to wait for the sun to come up.
That was pretty quick.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs Acura RL