LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vs Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 08:13 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS430 vs Acura RL

After driving a "slew of cars" I have narrowed it down to the new 2005 Acura RL or a 2001-2003 LS430. I love the added room the LS provides, but love the way the AWD RL handles. The trunk space is VASTLY different (20.2 vs 13.1), everything else is pretty close, except maybe that the engine in the LS has way more torque AND achieves it at lower RPM. I guess I should also mention that the RL has a ton more STANDARD options, and some that the LS does not have (at least the 2001-2003). I'm going to think about this over the weekend while my GS300 is in the newspaper for sale and see which way I end up going. Any constructive comments are appreciated.
Old 10-15-04, 08:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you driven the 2004+ LS? I am hearing that there is a big difference in feel with the newer LS. It is almost unfair to compare ammenities of a new model (RL) vs one that has been around. Plus, if I was getting a luxury feel car, I'd much rather have the smooth power of the low end torque of the LS V8. It feels weird to me to be in a car built for luxury and have to stomp on it to get some power. As you alluded, the Acuras tend to be high rev cars.

In the end, it still boils down to your situation and what you are comfortable with. It is hard to say since I have not sat in or driven the new RL. I know I was impressed with the LS overall look and feel package.
Old 10-15-04, 10:42 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

an ls 430 ultra in the year range you mention has more things in it than a new rl. its also quicker and far more luxurious. awd is useless in Texas. unless you live in the 20 cities it covers the real time traffic info is useless to you as well. depending on which year you buy the ultra is less expensive too. just a few things to consider. if you really like the rl you will love the new m45 by the way. thats the car I would buy if I didnt love my ultra.
Old 10-16-04, 03:56 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too, had considered the both of these vehicles (along with a few others) in selling my GS300 and made a decision a couple of months ago to get the LS instead of waiting. Given the level of refinement, quality, features & the satisfaction I had enjoyed with Lexus plus a significant willingness to deal on an '04 I made the decision to stay with Lexus and upgraded. Not one regret even when seeing the new RL in distribution now. We've got an MDX and haven't had any issues other than the EGR valve and now fogging headlights but both are or were taken care of by the dealer so there is no dealer/brand issues. I had the fogging on my GS lights too so maybe there is a pattern developing with Asian high-end cars here! I will say that the ownership experience with Lexus, IMHO, is better than Acura. I've had 4 Acura's and now this is my 2nd Lexus.

I strongly support the suggestion that you go drive the '04 LS430 before deciding. The new transmission and other changes from the earlier models make it a fantastic car and one I look for reasons to go drive. True, it does not have AWD which I had on my desired list of features but decided that since I had my GS without it and used snow tires with absolutely no problems for the snows we endure here that not having it wasn't a major decision factor afterall.

I will say that I still like the Acura version of Nav better, much easier to understand and use, especially when moving. Might just be getting more used to the Lexus version too.
Old 10-16-04, 05:26 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Topic

I haven't seen the new RL yet, but I have tested most of the Acura line-up. I choose a GS300 over the newer Acura TL last year. Even though these are very different cars than what you are looking at, here are some thoughts:

BTW I have a 2001 LS430 now.

1. Acura offers an unbelieveable deal for the money compared to Lexus. The base Acura has a lot more stuff. The TL with nav was still much cheaper than the GS300 base.

2. Dealerships are variable for both cars (see my earlier posts....lol)

3. Lexus still has the higher build quality and reliability. It also has more 'cache' if one cares about this.

Overall, you can't go wrog with either choice. Personally I'd get the LS, as I love mine. PS the nav is really easy to use once you get used to it.

Fred
Old 10-16-04, 07:53 AM
LXTASY
Driver

Is the only difference between the 2004 and 2001-2003 the 6 spd auto and dual exhaust tips out the back? Or is there more?
Old 10-16-04, 09:27 AM
cschow
Rookie

Originally posted by LXTASY
Is the only difference between the 2004 and 2001-2003 the 6 spd auto and dual exhaust tips out the back? Or is there more?
Some differences just off the top of my head:

-- 6 speed auto transmission with selectable (+/-) shift range
-- dual exposed exhaust tips
-- back-up camera
-- ML system is changed with selected optimization for 1/2/5-seats
-- Nav system is changed (different UI, seems like higher resolution touch screen)
-- Bluetooth handsfree phone interface built into Nav system
-- availability of SmartAccess keyless lock/unlock/start system
-- AFS: headlights that turn based on steering wheel angle/road speed
-- instrument cluster: spedo/tach needles changed from red to white
-- instrument cluster: text box font changed from constant width to porportional width, looks sharper
-- voice recognition system changed: appears to recognize my voice better than 01 model, and has new commands which include, for example, selection of audio sources on the ML and setting climate control temperature.
-- ML system is changed with support for optional Lexus XM radio (also, "AM" button changed to "AM/Sat")
-- supposely the CAD design for the 04 LS is done at a precision level 10x more precise than the 01-03 LS
-- new set of color combinations
-- availability of the "custom luxury" trim level between "modern" and "ultra lux"
-- removal of Lexus link hardware
-- available pre-collision safety system
-- change from laser based dynamic cruise control to radar based dynamic cruise control if the car has both dynamic cruise control and pre-collision safety system

Overall, I like my 2004 LS Modern Lux/Sport Package 1 a lot more than my 2001 LS Ultra Lux, but its not quite fair comparing a car with 500 miles vs another one with 48K miles. However, I feel the set of improvements, taken as a whole, makes the 2004 a much nicer car. The thing I miss most about my Ultra is its headliner. The thing I like most about the new car is the driving dynamics - the extra gear, the reduced weight from ditching the Ultra package, and Sport Package 1 give me much greater confidence in driving the 04 vs the 01.

Last edited by cschow; 10-16-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 10:35 AM
LXTASY
Driver

Way more changes than I thought, I will have to check into used car pricing on one.

Last edited by LXTASY; 10-16-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:36 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

I traded my 04 tl for an ls 430 ultra. the tl is american built and it shows. also the leather was fading after 5 months. the nav/voice system is far superior to the lexus though, its no contest. still though tl is better than the current gs its nowhere near the ls 430. and I bet the rl isnt either. but man I just saw some new pics of the m45 and its HOT.
Old 10-16-04, 05:41 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

The 2005 Acura RL with AWD will eat any year LS for lunch in the handling department and acceleartion, especially on wet roads. So, it may not snow in TX, but it still rains. The RL destroyed the MB E320 4matic, Audi A6 Quattro(both 4WD), and the rear drive BMW 530i in handling and power in a recent test. But there is no denying the smoothness and solidity and reliability of the Big Lexus. Acuras are cheaply made in comparison to the Lexus. I'd stick with the Lexus. Yes at times I'd like an AWD, but I prefer the magic of RWD and besides, V8s rule V6s all day long when it comes to smoothness of torque delivery.
This looks too techno-gizmo gimmicky for a luxury flagship sedan.

Last edited by ychachad; 10-16-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 05:51 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Custom Luxury Package was available in 2001-2003 (im pretty sure) correct me if im wrong

Mink92890
Old 10-16-04, 05:58 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

The RL cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 vs Acura RL-rl.jpg  
Old 10-16-04, 06:00 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Custom Lux is on '04's too as I have it on mine. Adds several things including door closures, laser cruise & heavier glass.
Old 10-16-04, 06:11 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

lookin at the picture it looks hard to navigate the navigation or is the screen just a nav, and ac is controlled by traditional buttons (like the SC430).

Mink92890
Old 10-17-04, 01:24 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ychachad
The 2005 Acura RL with AWD will eat any year LS for lunch in the handling department and acceleartion, especially on wet roads. So, it may not snow in TX, but it still rains. The RL destroyed the MB E320 4matic, Audi A6 Quattro(both 4WD), and the rear drive BMW 530i in handling and power in a recent test. But there is no denying the smoothness and solidity and reliability of the Big Lexus. Acuras are cheaply made in comparison to the Lexus. I'd stick with the Lexus. Yes at times I'd like an AWD, but I prefer the magic of RWD and besides, V8s rule V6s all day long when it comes to smoothness of torque delivery.
This looks too techno-gizmo gimmicky for a luxury flagship sedan.
what recent test was this? the car was released 3 days ago. and no it will not beat the ls 430 in acceleration since the current ls is 5.9 0-60 and the 01-04 is 6.3 . the rl is 6.4 which is not even as fast as the current tl. handling yeah it probably wins but get your facts straight. and by the way,what kind of idiot drives fast on wet roads?

Last edited by OneOfOne; 10-17-04 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs Acura RL