LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just got a 2001 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04 | 08:56 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Actually, put some Metallica on, like the black album or the Load. See how the Levinson handles it.
Old 09-18-04 | 08:58 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

By the way digitalb, did you ever get the OEM 18s for your ls430?
Let me know. If you did, post a pic if you don't mind. let me know...
Old 09-18-04 | 11:53 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

try dave brubeck's 'take 5'. and no I did not. I got a really good price for some authentic lexus oem 18s but I am now leaning towards the ASA ST3 wheel because its wider and because I believe I can put lexus center caps on them. I suggest you go to www.wheelexchange.com and check out the AMG rims and you will see them. you can also see them at tirerack.com when you go to the upgrade garage but if while youre on wheelexchange you go the the mercedes gallery you will eventually see them on a clk and they look far better than I can remember them looking. they are also quite a bit less expensive than the lexus rims at any price as well as having the benefit [to me at least] of being wider. while at a dealer yesterday having my console box installed to replace the cigarette lighter there was a flint mica ls 430 directly across from the showroom. when I was standing next to it the wheels looked nice but when I saw it from straight on while inside the showroom it reaffirmed what one of the members here said in that they are just too skinny. by that I mean if you ever see a toyota avalon which is just a stretched camry chassis you will see how much larger the body is on what gives the appearance of a too small frame. the right set of wheels fixes this. if you actually do go to the tire rack website upgrade garage you will see ASA ST2 wheels as well. I am trying to 'see' those on my car since so many members insist the ls 430 should have dish type wheels. these wheels are also knockoffs of the AMG rims you will see at wheelexchange.com with the benefit of actually seeing them on the cars in the mercedes gallery. a few cars there look very good with them on. when I had my 02 ml320 I had some on it which were made by konig/maxxim and they were called 'VIP' at that time. they have a slight lip and my oem benz center cap fit right in. they looked good but I cannot visualize them on my ls. hope this isnt too long winded for you but I am telling you my thought process. clearly this is a purchase I want to get right as I am sure you do.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 09-18-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-18-04 | 04:58 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

My grandfather has an LS430 and the car is so smooth, I kinda fall asleep!!!

-Donald
Old 09-19-04 | 09:00 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Default ASA wheels

I've seen those wheels you are taliing about. The only thing that worries me is that they are so cheap. Korean product, may that's why. But, they do look OK on the LS when you put them on using the tirerack screen. The other thing is that they are not going to be as durable as the original rims. They will probably bend and crack on the Brooklyn roads. Roads here in New York city are crap. I've never had an original rim bent, but heard many people with even expensive aftermarket rims complaining about bends and cracks. Anyway, if you get them and put them on, let me know how they fit. By the way, the original tire size on OEM 18 for LS430 is 245/45/18. And tirerack recommends same size for these ASA rims. How do you figure they will look wider?
Old 09-19-04 | 03:02 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Wow!!! revived after three years!!! A new record!
Old 09-19-04 | 11:37 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

I dont figure they will look wider. I know they will. insofar as the rims bending, I had the exact same rim looks wise as the ASA ST2 on my ml320 which is a far heavier vehicle and experienced no problems. I am very confident that the tire rack doesn sell crap. its a major battle in my head as to whether the ST2 or ST3 is the best looking. it WILL be resolved tuesday one way or the other. this is so hard.
Old 09-20-04 | 07:43 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Definately let me know how it works out. makes me curious as to the quality of those ASA wheels.
By the way, I saw 2004 LS430 with the OEM 18s yesterday on the road. Looks awesome. Wheels for sure don't look wide, but can't exactly call them skinny. They look just right in my opinion. Wouldn't mind the wider wheel though, but these I think are far better then my stock 17s.
Post some pics when you get the rims please.
Old 09-20-04 | 02:38 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by audphile1
Actually, put some Metallica on, like the black album or the Load. See how the Levinson handles it.
I listened to No Doubt on Levinson, it sounds good, but i couldn't tell the difference.
Old 09-24-04 | 11:11 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

well I got my ASA ST2's and they look great. they look a lot like the lexus oem 18s except they dont have the 'groove' depression in the spokes. I need to find out if I can get lexus center caps to fit them since the lexus caps I ordered from lexus-parts.com are a bit too small. I will call on monday to find out. gotta revise my tire choice I think since NO ONE has continental extreme contacts in 245 45 18 in stock and after reading there comparisons as written by tire rack the noise level comfort isnt going to get it. so now its pilot sport a/s I suppose. damn they are expensive but I do like the rims after having seen them in the boxes. they are going to look great. if you want I can take pics of them but remember they are not going on the car until I get the tires which probably wont be for 2-3 weeks as I am going to be out of town in a week for 5 days in vegas. by the way audiophile1 the ASA box says they are licensed by BBS and TUV certified.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 09-24-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-27-04 | 04:04 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Hey, thanks for the post bro. which finish did you get the silver or the chrome? put some pics on if u can. let's keep in touch cause I am looking for tires too. I think I am getting the OEM 18s. thanks. p.s. I geuss you didn't know u be getting the Pilot Sport A/S, otherwise I think tirerack could mount the rubber for you and ship it as a pkg...

Last edited by audphile1; 09-27-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-28-04 | 01:18 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

its real late here as I write this but I will post later. no I thought I was getting the continentals but it seems the pilot sport a/s is ultimately going to be the choice. with a 40k car *****ing about 200 extra for tires seems trite.
Old 09-28-04 | 09:08 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

good choice, digital_b, but they are pricey.
Old 09-28-04 | 12:16 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

thats why I am quoting tire rack prices at sears to get the 10 percent discount which brings them down to about 230 a tire. still high but a little better.
Old 09-28-04 | 12:22 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

ok here are the pics. first the wheel in box.
Attached Thumbnails Just got a 2001 LS430-asast2for-club-lexus.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just got a 2001 LS430