LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

4 Snow Tires On LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 11:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 4 Snow Tires On LS?

I am still not really getting this whole "must have 4 snow tires" (versus only the traditional 2) thing. Can someone REALLY explain this and try to convince me of the need? I now have 4 Nokian tires on my LS. They are good in the snow, but this winter has been mild (little snow) and they are LOUD on dry pavement. Why do I REALLY need 4? Back in the day when I drove Lincoln Town Cars (they are still great, contrary to common thinking around here), you stuck two cheap snow tires on the rear and that was it. Why can't I do the same on my LS. The ride is s&itty with the FOUR tires, so what the heck is the difference with merely 2?

Old 01-08-05, 01:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by daryll40
I am still not really getting this whole "must have 4 snow tires" (versus only the traditional 2) thing. Can someone REALLY explain this and try to convince me of the need? I now have 4 Nokian tires on my LS. They are good in the snow, but this winter has been mild (little snow) and they are LOUD on dry pavement. Why do I REALLY need 4? Back in the day when I drove Lincoln Town Cars (they are still great, contrary to common thinking around here), you stuck two cheap snow tires on the rear and that was it. Why can't I do the same on my LS. The ride is s&itty with the FOUR tires, so what the heck is the difference with merely 2?

It's quite simple actually.......the handling & traction characteristics will be different whether you have only 2 snows on the front & 2 all season on the back or vice versa. Let say you have that combination on.......you need to make an emergency lane change to aviod an accident.......the 2 snows grip (dosen't matter if they are on front OR back) & the 2 all seasons try to follow suit but can grip as well.......& you end up loosing control anyways because of it. Nokians are rated as a very good winter tire btw.

That is why when putting tires on a car of ANY kind (summer, all season, winter), it is recommended that all 4 be the same & not 2 of one & 2 of another kind. I would rather have 4 premium all seasons on my vehicle of the same kind any day of the week & twice on Sundays (including in a freezing rain storm), than 2 winter & 2 all seasons. It's a important safety factor, not just a ploy to get you to buy more tires. If the road noise bothers you that much, consider in investing in a premium all season set of tires that have good winter traction such as Falken's Ziex ZE-512 or the brand new line of tires from Goodyear called 'Assurance' Comfortread OR Triple Treads (the latter model being better overall for winter performance as it's equipped with a special 'ice & snow grip tread pattern' for that specific issue (depending on the tire size you need as you never mentioned if you require the 225 55 17 or 245 45 18 size), but the Comfortread should not be overlooked either. Check it out for your self at:

www.goodyearassurance.com or www.falkentire.com

Hope this helps........& Good Luck!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-08-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 01:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I HAVE Nokian WR tires....which ARE a premium winter tire.

This whole snow tire thing is a PIA.
Old 01-08-05, 01:25 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I HAVE Nokian WR tires....which ARE a premium winter tire.

This whole snow tire thing is a PIA.
I know......I commented that the fact that you have the Nokians already & agree with you that winter tires are a PIA. All winter tires are more noisy than all seasons because of the type of rubber compound used & aggressive tread patterns needed to 'bite' into snow & ice. They have yet to invent the 'perfect' tire.......you have to sacrifice one thing to get another regardless of what tire you buy.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-08-05 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 04:00 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, got into my third snow storm of the winter this week and I am more convinced than ever that I will never NOT have winters on my cars during this period of the year. Had over 10 inches here in NW Illinois with some ice and sleet and while cars, SUVs and trucks all around me struggled with moving at all on the roads I certainly did not have a single instance of any problem, period. I think I had posted in another thread that I put Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on my '04 LS430 in late November. Hit one 7 inch storm going over to Michigan during Thanksgiving week and another small 4 inch storm here in Illinois with similar results.

The four versus two issue is more about what you are willing to pay to ensure safety for you and your passengers whether its in powering the car or in the steering of it. To me, having tires with the same compound at all corners ensures the predictable handling in all kinds of weather.

Old 01-08-05, 04:35 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by AggieLS
Well guys, got into my third snow storm of the winter this week and I am more convinced than ever that I will never NOT have winters on my cars during this period of the year. Had over 10 inches here in NW Illinois with some ice and sleet and while cars, SUVs and trucks all around me struggled with moving at all on the roads I certainly did not have a single instance of any problem, period. I think I had posted in another thread that I put Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on my '04 LS430 in late November. Hit one 7 inch storm going over to Michigan during Thanksgiving week and another small 4 inch storm here in Illinois with similar results.

The four versus two issue is more about what you are willing to pay to ensure safety for you and your passengers whether its in powering the car or in the steering of it. To me, having tires with the same compound at all corners ensures the predictable handling in all kinds of weather.

I couldn't agree more Aggie.......always have 4 of the same tires on the car, no matter what.
Old 01-09-05, 04:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I couldn't agree more Aggie.......always have 4 of the same tires on the car, no matter what.
I'm still tempted to buy a cheap set of studded tires for the rear only on cheap wheels and have them popped on only when it's bad out.
Old 01-09-05, 07:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm still tempted to buy a cheap set of studded tires for the rear only on cheap wheels and have them popped on only when it's bad out.
Hmmm, studded snow tires even, and only on the rear ... http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/studtire/default.htm

Seems interesting that you would consider ignoring all this consistent advice and also the recommendation of the manufacturer of your car.

If you try your interesting idea, drive very gently, leave the transmission mode in "snow", take corners very slowly, do not exceed 50 m.p.h. and make sure that you have paid your life insurance premiums.

What a hoot!
Old 01-09-05, 09:01 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven from central PA to see family in Toronto, in my 2001 LS430 in the stock Dunlop all-seasons. On the way up, we ran into a snow storm just south of Buffalo (Ithink it is always snowing there!)

My car performed perfectly. I drove in the right lane slowly, left a good separation distance and had zero problems. Watching the GMC Jimmy fly by me in the left lane, only to see him in the ditch 10 miles ahead was priceless. I think most of snow driving has to do with the driver, although I know 4 snows do help.

The four-wheel drive vehicles seem to run on too much confidence in the snow... which is crazy, because they don't stop any faster lol.

Fred
Old 01-09-05, 11:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Kansas
Hmmm, studded snow tires even, and only on the rear ... http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/studtire/default.htm

Seems interesting that you would consider ignoring all this consistent advice and also the recommendation of the manufacturer of your car.

If you try your interesting idea, drive very gently, leave the transmission mode in "snow", take corners very slowly, do not exceed 50 m.p.h. and make sure that you have paid your life insurance premiums.

What a hoot!
Well said Kansas.......daryl....the advice above are the BEST suggestions, what you propose can still effect your (and your passengers) safety & is not recommended, nor very wise.
If you have switched tires & you have the tire pressure monitor feature you have to re-set the system.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-09-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-09-05, 08:19 PM
eDiddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are cracking me up. Once your car gets going all of tires and setups you mentioned can all get you through the snow, But there's another function that is kind of important for when driving in the stuff and that's STOPPING.

I live in Rochester NY and have driven my LS400 for a couple of years now in the snow(even though this year is looking like it may not count). I bought the car Feb a few years ago and drove the remainder of the that winter with the existing Bridgstones that were on the car. The car was all over the place and stopping was a joke. It was more like hit the brakes and hope. The following year I put Hakka Q's on all 4's and Lex had no problems powering, steering, and stopping in the snow.

For me being able to stop and steer through the snow are the important factors that go into choosing a tire and how many to put on. And for me my lex is better with four instead of two.

Also nothing beats taking your ride out to a snow covered mall parking lot and seeing how it drives, slides, and stops in the snow. Go have some fun.....

eDiddy
Old 01-10-05, 02:38 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by eDiddy
You guys are cracking me up. Once your car gets going all of tires and setups you mentioned can all get you through the snow, But there's another function that is kind of important for when driving in the stuff and that's STOPPING.

Also nothing beats taking your ride out to a snow covered mall parking lot and seeing how it drives, slides, and stops in the snow. Go have some fun.....

eDiddy
There is a good idea eDiddy! Very good point!