LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 Ultra - Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05 | 07:08 PM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 LS430 Ultra - Suspension Problem

On the passenger side rear of my car there's only about an inch of vertical distance clearence between the top of the tire and the outside lip of the wheel well and 1.5 inches on the drivers side. This car has the 17" OEM 2001 wheels. Other LS430s I have seen look a bit low in the rear so I'm wondering if this is normal or a really exepense problem. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-21-05 | 11:17 AM
Smoothride
Rookie

Default normal

All LS430's to seem to me to ride higher in the front, UL no exception. As long as both fr. and both rear are even, that's what would concern me. For more accurate readings, always measure verticly from the center of the wheel cap to the edge of the wheel opening, that way you have just eliminated any tire size or rim size variance. I can measure mine if you'd like, but I guarentee it will be higher in the front. That's why I just bought one of the ride height controllers from Carson, to lower the front to match the rear.

If your car's a UL, the dealer should be able to adjust the suspension to level the car left to right, also the ride height will do the same side to side leveling..
Old 01-21-05 | 11:51 AM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

That's really good news! I'll have them adjust the suspension next week. I have been looking at other LS430s on the road and yes, the back does look "low". If it's handy, yes please measure yours, but don't go out of your way. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-21-05 | 04:16 PM
Smoothride
Rookie

O.K. measured the distance (boy that garage is COLD), these are accurate within 1/16" or whatever I could eyeball, because the center cap really doesn't have a center point. But I'm pretty **** so I know the're good.

Front is 16"

Rear is 14 3/8"

This is measured to the edge of the PAINT of the fender, not the plastic fender liner. I'd get some really good measurements before you call and make sure that they really are off. And maybe I should say I ASSUME that the left and right sides can be balanced, all they should need to do is adjust the air springs. I have a print out of the alingment specs that have suspension heights measured from somewhere beneath the car from a certain point, that's why I ASSUME the car can be leveled. Anybody remember air-shocks that you put on the rear of your old Camaro and jacked it up??Am I that old??

I would call and get an estimate first. If one side is lower than the other, the R-spec 680 controller will left to right balance, but if you have a low corner, I'd get it looked at, oh, and take any extra weight out of the trunk.
Old 06-21-05 | 03:55 PM
booby79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Smoothride

If your car's a UL, the dealer should be able to adjust the suspension to level the car left to right, also the ride height will do the same side to side leveling..

I was just looking at the back of my LS430 UL and the rear right side of the car is definately a little lower than the rear left side. I thought the rear suspension was self leveling. Why would the dealer have to adjust this? Is there something wrong with my suspension?

Thanks
Bobby
Old 06-21-05 | 04:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

On ALL lexus' you will notice the left is higher then the right.

On the UL's, the rear is designed to be lower then the front, they are that way from the factory. The non air suspension ones are a little higher because they have to compensate for passengers where with the Air, it just auto levels.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-05 | 04:40 PM
booby79
Driver School Candidate

I don't get it. Why is the rear left side higher than the rear right side? I see that the front of the car is higher than the rear, but the rear left is higher than the rear right while parked. I have air suspension on my car and don't quite understand how the rear leveling works or if it needs an adjustment.
Old 06-21-05 | 06:18 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by booby79
I don't get it. Why is the rear left side higher than the rear right side? I see that the front of the car is higher than the rear, but the rear left is higher than the rear right while parked. I have air suspension on my car and don't quite understand how the rear leveling works or if it needs an adjustment.

I will try to explain it if I could. If you look at 99% of the Lexus' out there, the RIGHT/Driver side rear is LOWER then the left SLIGHTLLLLY. Something you don’t notice unless you constantly pay attention, and look for it. I have not checked Air suspension cars, they could be the same, or different, I don’t know. However, remember that trunk load, and uneven pavement can affect the level of the car.

Unless this is a strange case, the sensors don’t usually need to be re-calibrated.

I have noticed, repeatedly that UL LS’s (equipped with air suspension) are lower in the rear then their non-air counter parts. Matter fact, I can tell a UL LS from a NON-UL by just looking at the rear ride height. Why? for many reasons like I explained in my previous posts.

You may have a different issue, which you might want to drop by the dealer so they can have a look.
Old 06-21-05 | 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

left and right sides are never truly level. when you are in the car, the left side is heavier. the compenents on left and right side of the car are different. also, with and without a full tank of gas the weight is different left and right
Old 06-22-05 | 06:31 PM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
left and right sides are never truly level. when you are in the car, the left side is heavier. the compenents on left and right side of the car are different. also, with and without a full tank of gas the weight is different left and right
I have found this too, I posted the original question. When I set the suspension to High it seems pretty level. I got tired of bottoming out driving into the driveway. I have a steep driveway. I have looked at other UL and non UL - they all look about the same. I just wasn't used to a car like this. I have had it for a year - what a ride!
Old 06-23-05 | 02:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by WileCoyote
I have found this too, I posted the original question. When I set the suspension to High it seems pretty level. I got tired of bottoming out driving into the driveway. I have a steep driveway. I have looked at other UL and non UL - they all look about the same. I just wasn't used to a car like this. I have had it for a year - what a ride!
when it's high they look level, that's coz' of teh big gap and you can't tell the difference as easy

when i had my gs4 and sc430 stock, i didn't notice the uneven gap left and right too. not until i put on coilover and notice how off they are
Old 02-28-06 | 07:00 PM
J R
Driver

how much does it costs for the dealer to level my car out? i just bought a UL slammed it already too.but the back is lower than the front.
Old 03-01-06 | 08:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by J R
how much does it costs for the dealer to level my car out? i just bought a UL slammed it already too.but the back is lower than the front.
I thought you could do that from the controller you have installed.
Old 03-02-06 | 05:11 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

I only have premium package on my car but the front is higher than the rear. The front right is higher than the front left
Old 03-02-06 | 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by pvo
I only have premium package on my car but the front is higher than the rear. The front right is higher than the front left
all lexus are like that way. gs, sc, is, all the same. not that i know the reason though, it's just how it is

Quick Reply: 2001 LS430 Ultra - Suspension Problem