LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

+2004 LS and Smart Access

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 11:17 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

In the middle East, they've had smart Access since '01. Matter fact, it was the only option. The UL package was standard. I was wondering back then why they didnt have it here

(One of my closest friends used to work at lexus dealer there).
Old 03-12-05, 02:19 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ah gotcha. so even if the key is inside the car say in the cup holder, you can't open up the trunk from outside?
I tried it this morning; key was on the driver's seat trunk did not open. You have to be within reach of the trunk release with the key on your person to be able to open it. Using the remote is easier. Not so sure why I paid $1,000 for this.
Old 03-12-05, 06:37 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by lkirchner
If you are in the garage as an example washing, waxing, etc and have no intention on moving the car you must carry the key. Or I just did I went to the garage to retrieve something from the trunk; had to go back to get the key. I know it's minor but it is truly a pain.

Boy am I getting spoiled :
Do you lock your car in the garage? If not you have to open the door and use the trunk release, but you do not need the key.

I find myself trying to open one of the passenger side doors all the time without the key. I have to walk around to the driver's side and unlock the doors. I keep saying that I will have the dealer turn off the "auto lock" when you put the car into drive but I guess it's a good safety feature.
Old 03-12-05, 07:42 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct. You have to have the key with you to open the trunk if you are outside the car.
Old 06-05-05, 06:21 PM
Robert Kon
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Dislike Smart Key

Maybe it's the fact that I had no choice when I bought the LS430 in March '04 and it was a $1000 option that I don't care for the smart key option. I used to leave my key on the console (I park in a garage). Now I'm always forgetting it as, according to the owners manual, you can't leave the smart key in the car as it can wear out the battery. I'm always forgetting the damn thing and have to go back in the house to get the key. Grrrr!
Old 06-06-05, 05:46 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by houstonnw
Do you lock your car in the garage? If not you have to open the door and use the trunk release, but you do not need the key.

I find myself trying to open one of the passenger side doors all the time without the key. I have to walk around to the driver's side and unlock the doors. I keep saying that I will have the dealer turn off the "auto lock" when you put the car into drive but I guess it's a good safety feature.
When my wife has her key in her purse and she gets to the car before me, it unlocks the doors for her even when she is standing on the passenger side. I wonder if this is another option you can have changed? It seems to be working ok for us.

I have been pretty pleased with the smartkey so far. It does take a little getting used to.

The goofy part is I beleive the RX330 rear hatch does not require a key to open it as long as the car is unlocked. They should borrow from that design. If I am wrong- someone please correct me.

For whatever reason, they chose to forgo this and let people do it the way they have been for decades: Either have the key on you or go inside the car.
Old 06-06-05, 07:31 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Question

At first I thought "smart key" sounded really clever. Now, I wonder whether "dumb key" isn't a lot better. You have to carry the smart thingy around with you (and you run the battery down if you leave it in the car?) and you can't open the trunk with it?

My old "dumb key" has a trunk opener switch and I can lock and unlock the doors from afar. It really isn't so difficult to insert the key in the slot. And, from what I can see, the "smart key" is a lot more bulky to carry around in your pants or jacket pocket than a "dumb key" is.

Am I wrong on this?
Old 06-06-05, 10:27 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
At first I thought "smart key" sounded really clever. Now, I wonder whether "dumb key" isn't a lot better. You have to carry the smart thingy around with you (and you run the battery down if you leave it in the car?) and you can't open the trunk with it?

My old "dumb key" has a trunk opener switch and I can lock and unlock the doors from afar. It really isn't so difficult to insert the key in the slot. And, from what I can see, the "smart key" is a lot more bulky to carry around in your pants or jacket pocket than a "dumb key" is.

Am I wrong on this?

Umm....Yes
Old 06-06-05, 10:33 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be missing something, but I don't understand what you mean when you say that you can't open the trunk with the smart key. The fob has a button on it that allows you to open the trunk by pushing it. In addition, if you have the key on you, you can unlock the trunk by pushing the button under the right side of the trunk lip.

With respect to opening the trunk if you don't have the key, all you have to do is lean into the car and pull the trunk release on the lower left side of the dash (next to the gas door release).

I've found the smart key works pretty well. You can argue all day as to whether or not it is worth $1,000 and whether or not they should have used a button to start the car (like the new GS0), but in my opinion it is much more convenient than using a key to start the car.
Old 06-06-05, 11:58 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by stanatl
I may be missing something, but I don't understand what you mean when you say that you can't open the trunk with the smart key. The fob has a button on it that allows you to open the trunk by pushing it. In addition, if you have the key on you, you can unlock the trunk by pushing the button under the right side of the trunk lip.

With respect to opening the trunk if you don't have the key, all you have to do is lean into the car and pull the trunk release on the lower left side of the dash (next to the gas door release).

I've found the smart key works pretty well. You can argue all day as to whether or not it is worth $1,000 and whether or not they should have used a button to start the car (like the new GS0), but in my opinion it is much more convenient than using a key to start the car.
I agree- nothing has really changed for the worse with the smartkey. To open the trunk on my 99 LS, I had to go inside the car, or use the button on the key. At least now I don't have to get the key out of my pocket to open the trunk. The smartkey is still "smarter". I suppose there would be more room to complain if they called it "perfect key". But they didn't.