LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Modern w/ SPORT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 03:13 AM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modern w/ SPORT?

Can you order the MODERN package with the SPORT suspension / 18" wheels?
Old 03-09-05, 04:50 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the '04, that was the highest option package (Modern Luxury) that they would let you get the Euro Tuned Suspension with. When you ordered this suspension, it came with the 5 spoke 18" wheels. I wanted the Custom Luxury with the ETS, but the computer wouldn't let them place the order. Even tried to get it "special ordered" and Lexus wouldn't let it happen.

I'm not certain about '05, but I believe that is the case as well. I do believe you can order the 18" wheels on the '05 without gettting the ETS.
Old 03-09-05, 07:55 AM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

What you have is exactly what I want. Maybe not in those colors. But options, MODERN with EURO SUSPENSION.

Last edited by 340HP; 03-09-05 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 08:17 AM
340HP
Driver School Candidate

BTW, it sucks that this forum doesn't allow to unckeck "mark as edited."

Blah.
Old 03-09-05, 03:08 PM
sirrob11
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=

I'm not certain about '05, but I believe that is the case as well. I do believe you can order the 18" wheels on the '05 without gettting the ETS.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed. That is what I have on my 05.
Old 05-07-05, 04:45 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Anybody that wants the ETS and has not driven it- be careful. I inked my deal for a 2005 ls modern w/ 18" and ETS. (I put it on hold becasue the sales person didn't know it was ETS before it got to the dealer) Thank god the dealer took the car back after 75 miles. They found another one without ETS that will be here Thursday. I was told the only difference was the cornering so I agreed to it. Turns out it has different shocks and springs, too- completely different ride! (yes- i let out the 45psi that it was delivered with...)

It is a terrible ride- bone jarring stiff. Like a $60k go-cart. I have owned Porsches that had better "sport" rides than this. It was enough to make my wife complain and she is the FARTHEST thing from a car buff.

If some of you like it, please be my guest, but if you are not sure- drive it first!! Make sure you hit some good bumps, too.
Old 05-07-05, 05:58 PM
BMcD430
Driver

BigD is right - the firmer suspension may not be for everyone. I have the Ultra pkg and have the normal/sport switch which does indeed make a difference. I usually only use sport mode on smooth roads with curves or fun off-ramps. Best of both worlds if you will.

And I had them take the 5-spoke wheels off of an '05 on the lot and put them on my '04 as part of the negotiations. They just looked so much better than the UL pkg 17's.

Now if they would just put an adaptive transmission in the car like my E500 had I would be happy. 7500 miles and no problems!!
Old 05-08-05, 02:28 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
Anybody that wants the ETS and has not driven it- be careful. I inked my deal for a 2005 ls modern w/ 18" and ETS. (I put it on hold becasue the sales person didn't know it was ETS before it got to the dealer) Thank god the dealer took the car back after 75 miles. They found another one without ETS that will be here Thursday. I was told the only difference was the cornering so I agreed to it. Turns out it has different shocks and springs, too- completely different ride! (yes- i let out the 45psi that it was delivered with...)

It is a terrible ride- bone jarring stiff. Like a $60k go-cart. I have owned Porsches that had better "sport" rides than this. It was enough to make my wife complain and she is the FARTHEST thing from a car buff.

If some of you like it, please be my guest, but if you are not sure- drive it first!! Make sure you hit some good bumps, too.
You were either smoking something or the car you had was defective. $60k go cart???? I have an '04 with the Sport suspension and the car is still a little floaty in comparison to the other cars that I drive.. I have an SL55 and 2 other AMG Benz's and the Lexus is much smoother than any of those and in comparison to the SL it feels like it is not even touching the road but at the same time feels like it is pulling a boat anchor
Old 05-09-05, 01:28 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

easy big fella...

I'm not really trying to insult the LS w/sport- just making a point. I was told that the sport was made to try and "persuade" the euro-badge drivers over to the Lexus side. If I want sport, I drive the Porsche. If I want to relax in comfort and quiet, I drive the LS. I don't want to mix the two, therefore the euro was not for me. My 99 ls400 doesn't float at all and it's got the 16" stock wheels.

At highway speed the euro feels great- it turns into the magic carpet ride that the LS is known for. It's the around-town driving that was driving me nuts. I think I chipped a tooth on one pothole. Every bump is a new lesson in annoyance.
Old 05-09-05, 01:42 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Wink

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
easy big fella...

I'm not really trying to insult the LS w/sport- just making a point. I was told that the sport was made to try and "persuade" the euro-badge drivers over to the Lexus side. If I want sport, I drive the Porsche. If I want to relax in comfort and quiet, I drive the LS. I don't want to mix the two, therefore the euro was not for me. My 99 ls400 doesn't float at all and it's got the 16" stock wheels.

At highway speed the euro feels great- it turns into the magic carpet ride that the LS is known for. It's the around-town driving that was driving me nuts. I think I chipped a tooth on one pothole. Every bump is a new lesson in annoyance.
You are not insulting me at all. I rarely drive the car since it my wife's daily shopper ( driver). i was/am one of those who is a Euro badge driver and still do not see how this car rides any more firmer than any of my MB"s. When I purchased the car it was to have a firmer feel than the normal Lexus; which it does but still not firm enough for my tastes.

Sorry about that tooth.
Old 05-09-05, 01:52 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

I never compared it to an MB.

For a LS430, it's a rough ride.

Tooth still hurts, but thanks...
Old 05-09-05, 02:20 PM
jbbreeden
Driver

Default Innocent question

I once had a 99 LS400 with 16" wheels which was soft around town and a little bit "floaty" on the road at speed compared to my wife's RX and two ES that I've owned. I recently traded an ES330 for a 2003 LS430 (17" wheels). I find the car MUCH better on highways than the older LS but a little harsh compared to it around town.

My question is this: Lexus keeps increasing the size of the standard wheel. I understand it is up to 18" as standard, now. Doesn't this keep adversly affecting the ride? Lexus even advise in the brochures that the mileage will probably be under 20k for 17" tires...possibly way under. (I got over 60k on a set of Michelins on the RX.)

I understand too that handling is better with larger sizes (the 17" wheels handle better than I remember the '99 LS400's 16" wheels) but the ride is worse and the wear is worse. Granted they LOOK better but is there something I'm missing? Why aren't the larger sizes optional, allowing owners to choose rather than sacrificing the comfort at the outset.
Old 05-09-05, 02:37 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Good question. In Dallas there is not a single 17" 2005 LS on the lot of about 30.

Moving from the 16's to the 18's was going to be handling improvement enough for me. Adding the euro on top of that was overkill big-time.

It does surprise me also that they don't improve the look of the 17" wheel. The 18's design is not much different, but looks WAY better. As for wear, there was probably a few hot-rods out there that drove the 18's hard and then complained that they wore them out. Lexus is probably just covering their 6 with the 20k statement on all the 18" cars.

My Porsche had 18's and they only lasted 15k (rear). If I get 25k with the LS tires, I will be just fine. With a car like the LS I would expect to need softer tires that would ride better, but run out faster. They figure it can be afforded.

Hard, cheap tires are always available that will last longer, as long as the car stays on the road...
Old 09-23-07, 12:40 AM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Default euro vs standard

I noticed that the standard suspension (non air) on two 05's I drove delievered vague handling and steering feel. I was definately not impressed until I drove the sports package, it seems to have the perfect blend of ride and handling, I actually had a smile on my face afterwards! It was like driving a completely different car. Keep in mind I havn't tried the UL Air suspension yet.
Old 09-23-07, 03:43 PM
LS430Sport
Driver School Candidate

I have an 05 Modern with the sports suspension package ,well at least my wife does as this is her car, she traded in a BMW 740i sport that she loved , for the Lexus , when we first looked she really liked the non sport LS430 until she drove it , after the BMW she said the lexus felt like a boat , then we tried the sport package and she really likes it, the ride is much firmer and the stance is also lower so all in all she is happy with it.

Quick Reply: Modern w/ SPORT?