LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Poor Seats in 2005 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 06:33 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who find the seats poor - what exactly is it about the seat that you don't find comfortable? Too big, it hurts your butt, you can feel the leather joins, poor lumbar (high or low), saggy on sides, you can feel the frame, etc, etc.

Give us some specifics, then we might be able to offer some assistance or ideas.
Old 08-10-08, 09:08 PM
!SPEED
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
For those who find the seats poor - what exactly is it about the seat that you don't find comfortable? Too big, it hurts your butt, you can feel the leather joins, poor lumbar (high or low), saggy on sides, you can feel the frame, etc, etc.

Give us some specifics, then we might be able to offer some assistance or ideas.
I've always found the seat cushion very uncomfortable and have made the same reply in the old thread. I, like MacLS430KS, wondered if anyone has ever solved the problem. I considered having an upholsterer take the seat apart and add more padding. The seats in my Corvette are more comfortable than the LS

2004 LS UL PCS
Old 08-10-08, 09:56 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Do you have the semi-aniline leather, and would you describe the bottom seat cushion as being somewhat flat and hard? What about the passenger side, does that seat have a problem?
Old 08-11-08, 04:46 AM
irmichel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by !SPEED
I've always found the seat cushion very uncomfortable and have made the same reply in the old thread. I, like MacLS430KS, wondered if anyone has ever solved the problem. I considered having an upholsterer take the seat apart and add more padding. The seats in my Corvette are more comfortable than the LS

2004 LS UL PCS
I've read on a german forum that someone found his seat to saggy and had put in some extra liner/foam strips

quote after google translation

As was often described, I believe the ventilated and cooled seats of the LS 430 for one of the best features that this model compared to the LS 400. Unfortunately it has only one problem: the seat cushioning is much thinner than the uncooled Since my car seatis 6 years old and I no longer liked the upholstery (something felt sagged and i hit the hard bottom) I was in the dealership for advice. The master mechanic told me the structure of the seat and gave a logical-sounding statement to the effect that the upholstery sagged and felt hard now. Then I ordered a complete new upholstery for the driver's seat, a few days ago it was put in. I was present at the time and unfortunately had to find that the internal structure of the seat is completely different than it was described to me. The inner workings of the seat hardly showed wear tracks. On a high-quality foambase were quite thin strips of some other kind of foam. Because the new upholstery was ordered for me I was having it put in. For more comfort the fitter stuck more foam on a second location of the seat, where the rear can be accessed. Leather and seat were 1.5 to 2 hours work. Now I sit slightly higher because of the second layer of foam, which is with the el. seat adjustment easily corrected, and of course i sit softer.

I post this to members, who find the seats too hard also. You can save costs because its enough to ad some foam and expand the seat a little. Forget about the leather, and stick only to the above-described foam strips, as the original upholstery shown almost no wear and tear. You would only pay for workshop hours - approximately 100 € to pay, but not for the new leather seat padding (200 €). The strips should be a lexus stock item. The strips are usually self-adhesive and are apparently used to resolve rattles.

url http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/foru...=16306&hl=sitz

Michel

Last edited by irmichel; 08-11-08 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 09:29 AM
!SPEED
Driver

To: WANDERER99[B]
Yes, I do have the semi-aniline leather and I would describe my seats as flat & hard. I always drive so I can't say how the passenger seat would be for extended sitting. My wife doesn't complain but then she has a little more padding than I do.

To IRMICHEL[B] Thanks for the GREAT information. That's exactly what I, and I'm sure, the original poster, wanted to know. Now to find an upholsterer.

2004 LS UL PCS
Old 08-11-08, 12:38 PM
irmichel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by !SPEED
To: WANDERER99[B]
Yes, I do have the semi-aniline leather and I would describe my seats as flat & hard. I always drive so I can't say how the passenger seat would be for extended sitting. My wife doesn't complain but then she has a little more padding than I do.

To IRMICHEL[B] Thanks for the GREAT information. That's exactly what I, and I'm sure, the original poster, wanted to know. Now to find an upholsterer.

2004 LS UL PCS
You're welcome

One of the many advantages of being multi lingual

Hope you guys can solve the problem with this info so every one can enjoy their Lexus. Maybe someone can post some pics when its getting done?
Old 08-11-08, 06:29 PM
MacLS430KS
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have the semi-aniline seating and it very flat, somewhat saggy and hard. This sounds like the perfect solution! I am very thankful!!!!!!
Old 08-11-08, 08:22 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I test drove a number of LS430 vehicles - and sat in many more - before I purchased my 05 Custom Lux. During this test period I noticed that one car - another Custom Lux with semi aniline - had a really flat and hard feeling base cushion. I couldn't get comfortable in that chair, and I even felt the leather seams in the chair base on my butt. Setting the seat extension to its maximum setting made it somewhat better, but it was still hard and flat to me. The chair looked brand new though, and the car only had about 20K on it.

I never found a base model care or any Modern Lux that had this problem - only that one car with the semi aniline leather option. The base model\Modern Lux leather though does feel thinner to me, and the padding feels a little different. My 05 model has 50K with semi aniline and does not suffer from this flat\hard base cushion problem.

Is there anyone here that has the hard\flat cushion without semi-aniline?
Old 08-12-08, 06:51 PM
MacLS430KS
Driver School Candidate

I got a quote today from a local auto upholstery shop. For $135.00 each seat I can have them disassemble and build up the seat padding. He says they do this for more Lexus any other vehicle - but at least with the Lexus leather I never have to worry about wear spots because it is dyed completely through.

I suspect the wearing down occurs slowly and that after 50,000 miles you've gotten used to the flat seat and it seems natural.
Old 08-13-08, 03:13 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MacLS430KS
Yes, I have the semi-aniline seating and it very flat, somewhat saggy and hard. This sounds like the perfect solution! I am very thankful!!!!!!
You are not imagining, i have the same problem with my '04 Ultra. Even the seats in my GS are more supportive. My thigh seems to be in pain after extended periods of driving.

I remember I had some serious leg pains after driving to Miami, and most recently to Pittsburgh.
Old 08-13-08, 08:49 AM
wil1688
Driver School Candidate

My is a 04 ls430 custom w/semi-aniline leather. I too been having problem with the seat cushion, about 6 months after the purchase. My problem is with the hard side frame ( relative high compare with the middle seating ). After a long drive, about an hour or so, my thigh will be in pain. The seat cushion was replace twice by 2 different dealer. the first last for about 2 year. The second one, time will tell, so far it is OK. But For long drive( over 4 hour), I still prefere to use a thin cushin in between the seat, otherwise it is a great car.