LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 03:36 PM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

I'm a owner of a new 2005 LS430, modern luxury. It's a wonderful car, but I have noticed what I believe in increased wind noise at about 60 mph. Could it be because it is so quiet and there is no motor noise? Any comments would be appreciated before I take in into the service department. Thanks
Old 04-04-05, 04:38 PM
sirrob11
Driver School Candidate

Can you tell from which area of the car the wind noise is comming? Window seals, mirrors, A-pillars etc...
Old 04-05-05, 08:09 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wheezemd
I'm a owner of a new 2005 LS430, modern luxury. It's a wonderful car, but I have noticed what I believe in increased wind noise at about 60 mph. Could it be because it is so quiet and there is no motor noise? Any comments would be appreciated before I take in into the service department. Thanks
I have the same thing on my '04 LS. It is quiet until about 60 MPH and then the wind noise starts. I took it to the dealer and you will never guess the diagnosis: "THEY ALL DO THAT". In experimenting on my own I feel that the noise is coming from the airflow around the side mirrors. The solution turn up the volume on the sound system.
Another point to sour me on the Marvellous Lexus Dealership Experience.
Old 04-05-05, 08:23 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Wow. I'm surprised. I thought the LS was the quitest car around. I've driven quite a few models and the 98 LS I test drove was whisper quite!! Sorry to hear about your dealership experience...
Old 04-05-05, 09:22 AM
cenwesi
Rookie

yep, very true. My '94 was quite. I think the noise thing have to do with the seal and not the mirror. One of these days i will study it carefully to see if i can fix it.
Old 04-05-05, 01:02 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my 2001 LS430 with 30K on it and at about 85mph and above there's a terrible whistle coming from the top of the windshield. Pressing on the headliner edge quiets it. I keep forgetting to have the dealer look at it when I take the car in.
Old 04-05-05, 03:21 PM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I believe it is coming from around the side mirrors, though it is hard to tell. Is it unique to 04's and 05's? Thanks.
Old 04-07-05, 08:08 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2001 LS also has significant wind noise coming from the side mirrors. I think we all notice this noice because there is not any noise coming from anywhere else. Like other cars, you can hear road noise from the floor, windows, sunroof, fire wall, etc. I think this is probably the only place where drag was unavoidable.

Maybe an aftermarket company should develop mirrors like the ///M3 or ///M5? I think those have pillars. I have a magazine (MPH) that talks about how Ferrari designed the mirrors to allow air to flow into the rear engine inlet. So, mirror design is important.
Old 04-07-05, 02:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LS still has the quietest cabin on the road in sound dB measurements done by independent companies...but that doesn't mean no sound at all.

Sometimes I think the quiet actually heightens sounds when you do hear them.
Old 04-07-05, 02:52 PM
sirrob11
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps you can fold your mirrors and see if there is a difference to pin down the windnoise.
Old 04-07-05, 07:10 PM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Old 04-08-05, 08:34 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirrob11
Perhaps you can fold your mirrors and see if there is a difference to pin down the windnoise.
I did fold the mirrors and the noise increased significantly. That is what leads me to believe that this is the source.
Old 04-30-05, 08:57 AM
Robert Kon
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Wind Noise/Harsh ride

I too have an LS430. I have repeatily complained about the wind noise. It starts around 50 mph and seem to be right above the rear view mirror. The dealerships head mechanic tried others (04's and '05's) in their inventory and said "some are worse" and basically said it's in the design. So far I'm not impressed with my 04 LS430. I had a '94 ls400 and a '00 ls400 and they were better riding cars. The 18'' wheels and low profile tires seem to me have a harsh ride. Very disappointed with this automobile to date. I have an appointment soon for the 10k maint. and to address a rattle that seems to be coming from the retractable sun shade in the rear panel.
Old 04-30-05, 09:35 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert Kon
IThe 18'' wheels and low profile tires seem to me have a harsh ride.
Let me know if you want to trade for my 98 LS400 16's. I'll pay shipping both ways.

Brian
Old 05-04-05, 05:13 PM
neloho
Driver School Candidate

I am also considering selling my 2004 LS430 due to the excessive wind noise. While the car was initially pretty quiet, the wind noise has increased over the 15 months and 10,000 miles the car has been driven. The dealer claims the noise level is normal and acceptable despite multiple complaints and service visits.

At 70 mph coasting, the current noise level in my car is 69dB (A weighted) on a smooth road with little to no crosswind. This compares to reviews showing the car at 64dB or lower. (I am an engineer with a background in acoustics and loudspeaker design.)

The wind noise starts between 50 and 60 mph and builds from there. It seems to come mostly from the front windshield and is exacerbated by even a small crosswind.

The dealer's excuse:
They all are noisy like that.
And a Lexus quote from the introduction of the revised 2004 model:
For the motorist, this quality is reflected in the almost complete elimination of wind noise and greater stability in high speed driving.
Kind of hard to reconcile the two statements, isn't it.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise