LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

window tints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 12:29 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving at night with Limo tint takes some getting used to.. You have to be really cautious.

You have to roll your windows down when backing up so you can see your mirrors (or just trust your sensors and backup camera) .

You have to roll your windows down when you come to intersections because you can't trust that everyone has thier headlights on..

I have not been pulled over yet but when I do, I will have all windows down before the officer gets to my window..

To tell you the truth, I have not driven my car that much since I bought it six months ago.. The weather has been to bad here in Michigan.

My recommendation would be for a person who drives alot, especially at night I would NOT put limo tint on it..
Old 02-27-08, 01:35 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not tint the front window. It is not safe at night, and its asking to get pulled over. Sides is not a big problme, unless its the end of the month and cops are looking for money, but having the front tinted is just throwing it in their face.
Old 02-27-08, 02:26 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
If you're going to tint your car, I'd suggest a Llumar 15% tint all around and dont forget to tint the front windshield. You are already doing something illegal by tinting the front passenger/driver windows for the sake of your interior, why not fully protect it with a lighter tint? I'd say 50% on the front just to be safe with the law. I am planning to take my car back someday and get that front windshield tinted. It is pretty irritating to have my car blocked with 15% tint all around and nothing in the front.
This is the exact same setup i'm running on my LS it's dark but hey if a cop pulls you over for tint the ticket is the same price no matter what % you have on your windows.
Old 03-02-08, 02:13 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love to get my windows tinted but in California you're not allowed to tint the windows at the front seats. I hate the tint in the back / no tint in front look so I haven't done it ... yet. It's only a 'fix-it' ticket so I may go and tint the whole thing and if I get pulled then I'd have to take off the front tint. How difficult is it to remove a well-applied tint?
I drove my old Nissan Maxima with a very dark tint on 5 windows (from when I lived in Texas where it's legal) here in CA for about 9 years before I finally got the fix-it ticket. They pull you over at night if they can't see the driver.
Old 03-02-08, 06:05 PM
denroll
Driver

Before tint:

Tinted to Ohio's legal limit, which is a little lighter in the front side wondows than the rears (can't recall the numbers). I was worried it would be too "cave-like" inside with the black interior, but it's fine:

Old 03-05-08, 09:23 AM
beangrower
Pole Position

I bought my car w/ tint. I believe its 35%. Planning on switching it out though...
Old 03-05-08, 09:27 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

talk about tints...just got mine tinted 35% all around!! looks very nice on a BLk car!!
Old 04-06-09, 06:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My tint

Hey, finally got mine done this past weekend. The shop only had in 50/35/20/5. I had thought about going 5% just rears for the longest time, but putting in more thought and reading around, they were going to be too dark for night time. So, I thought about 20% instead. Then when I got to the shop, I got daring and went with 20% back and 50% front (against NJ law of no tinting in fronts). I thought the 50% was light enough to get away with and they actually came out darker than I thought they would. The black interior along with the 20% on back make the 50% look much darker. Anyway, here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails window tints?-img_0868.jpg  
Old 04-06-09, 06:08 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Fronts

Here is the front, but keep in mind this is at 5:30 pm with overcast clouds, so it might look darker, but it is sort of dark even in light.
Attached Thumbnails window tints?-img_0871.jpg  
Old 04-06-09, 06:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Back

And now the backs for comparison. In total sunny day, it's dark enough where you can't see inside easily, but you can tell if there is a person inside or not.
Attached Thumbnails window tints?-img_0872.jpg  
Old 04-06-09, 06:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default The rear back

And finally the full rear.

Before doing, I read up on bubbling and how it takes, but when it's your car and the tint bubbles in the beginning, you always freak out. The tinter said to give it about 5-6 days since it's got double-pane (I have the CL trim) glass. Anyway, got home, it was bubbly, but after two days of cloudy days, it was still bubbly and there was a bubble about the size of a quarter in the back that really freaked me out. I thought that thing was not going to go away. Anyway, yesterday it was sunny outside so I parked my baby outside to let it bask it the sun... one day, did the trick. All the bubbles are gone. Only a few imperfection areas from dirt specks that I can live with since they are not in critical areas of sight.
Attached Thumbnails window tints?-img_0867.jpg  
Old 04-06-09, 06:47 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Originally Posted by denroll
Before tint:

Tinted to Ohio's legal limit, which is a little lighter in the front side wondows than the rears (can't recall the numbers). I was worried it would be too "cave-like" inside with the black interior, but it's fine:

you car looks nice i used to have does stocks reminds me of when i first bought myne
Old 04-06-09, 06:52 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I know I'm gonna hear "drop drop drop"... I would, but hearing the car bottom-out just bothers me...
Old 04-06-09, 08:02 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

My tint is 35% all the way around, I wanted to go darker but GA past a new tint law and i did not want to deal with cops messing with me.

Sun out 2 weeks after it was tinted

Dusk

Overcast day
Old 04-06-09, 09:00 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 30 or 35%

Heres mines with 30 0r 35%. But i think its 30% all windows except the front thats really acking to get pulled over. U gotta give them some respect(The Law). And when i want it darker i raise my rear and side shades and its pretty dark then.
Attached Thumbnails window tints?-037.jpg  

Last edited by GLIDESUL; 04-06-09 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Add photo

Quick Reply: window tints?