window tints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 10:14 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess im the chicken of the group.. :P
50% like a mercedes blue tint.
im around where they love pulling over so i wanted to keep it low key.
its illegal in the fronts btw for il.

before: sunny

after: cloudy/gloomy
Old 04-07-09, 05:40 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 20% on sides and back and 35% on the front windshield.

Last edited by Boomer01; 04-07-09 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 05:54 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stock_sc
i guess im the chicken of the group.. :P
50% like a mercedes blue tint.
im around where they love pulling over so i wanted to keep it low key.
its illegal in the fronts btw for il.
Same here. I went to the shop that a friend went to and she got 35 all around but in NJ, you "lawfully" can not tint the windshield or front two windows. I too chickened out and went 20 back and 50 front. With the black interior, the 50 looks darker than it is, but I've seen 50 all around and they just don't do anything to block out the

Depending on vehicle, tint percentage, and the "color" of the driver, you'll get easily pulled over just for "tint" on the glass. I'm just hoping that most cops will just think I'm driving a limo or the "disney" stickers will tip them off that I'm not a gangsta from the hood...
Old 04-07-09, 05:49 PM
et025
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any problems with the tint shops messing up the suede for you ul owners, thinking of tinting mine
Old 04-07-09, 06:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default No

Originally Posted by et025
any problems with the tint shops messing up the suede for you ul owners, thinking of tinting mine
I already said "no" it doesn't... ha ha, you must be asking around the two active tint threads that are active now. Like I said, as long as the shop uses a safe formula (basically water and baby shampoo) as the base for the spray, then you're fine. My CL with the suede interior was fine.

Also, I answered your follow up question about the pillar being covered on the other thread too.
Old 04-08-09, 02:33 AM
et025
Rookie

^ haha i realized that this thread would be more appropriate for the information that i was looking for, thanks again
Old 04-08-09, 10:23 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Hawaii weather...

Originally Posted by et025
^ haha i realized that this thread would be more appropriate for the information that i was looking for, thanks again
So what is the official "law" in Hawaii on tint? You can tint all around including windshield? In NJ, it's only the back and two sides, the windshield and front two windows can not be tinted at all. I'm an outlaw, I tinted the front two windows 50%.

Sometimes, I really do wonder if our laws are really to protect us, or it's just to try to get those 0.1% of criminals in our society that even with these laws they could not catch or govern anyway. NO black tint because it abstructs the police officers when they pull someone over. For the driver that IS going to be dealing in illegal activity, he/she is going to tint the window ANYWAY, so why have a law for that .1% when the other 99.9% that will use it legitely suffer?

Ah, who am I to think this much... I'm only living here...
Old 04-08-09, 12:18 PM
et025
Rookie

a friend that does safety inspections told me a 4 door car is 35 all around and none on the windshield. i think i will tint the windshield the lightest film they got just for dash protection.

agree with you there. those with priors should have to roll around with no tint, haha.
Old 04-08-09, 05:29 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I am wrong, But what do you think when you pull up to a 4 way stop, and can't see if the guy coming at you or cross traffic is going to stop. I often watch the other drivers face to see if they are looking my direction, or talking on a cell phone. I remember one time when seeing a "Lady" putting her make-up on blow the stop sign. Had I not seen her. and sit still, she would have broadsided me.

Part of being a good driver is watching the other driver, not just the hunk of metal he is driving. Walking in New York, would hate to cross the street and not be able to see if the driver coming at me is alert or not.

The 50% fronts look good with the backs a bit darker. Can't see driving a car that is so blind can't see out of it in the dark.
Old 04-09-09, 05:16 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Cautious

Originally Posted by Budhah
Maybe I am wrong, But what do you think when you pull up to a 4 way stop, and can't see if the guy coming at you or cross traffic is going to stop. I often watch the other drivers face to see if they are looking my direction, or talking on a cell phone. ...The 50% fronts look good with the backs a bit darker. Can't see driving a car that is so blind can't see out of it in the dark.
For me, I don't leave a 4-way until the other two have stopped, even if I'm first to the intersection. Nowadays with handsfree, the person could be yapping away and you'd think he was not on the phone and paying attention.

Same with crossing a crosswalk, I don't leave the sidewalk until all cars have come to a stop. It really doesn't matter if you can see the person or not... the obvious ones you'll see, but it's the bad assumption ones that will get you run over. ha ha.

I agree with you, I don't understand how you would tint the windshield say 35% or more, unless you never drive at night.
Old 04-09-09, 05:35 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problem seeing outside of my windshield at night and have 35% on it. This is also the third vehicle that I have had 35% on the windshield.
Old 04-09-09, 08:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I have no problem seeing outside of my windshield at night and have 35% on it. This is also the third vehicle that I have had 35% on the windshield.
People's night vision usually but not always degrades significantly as they age. 35% tint might work fine at night for some people but make it impossible for others to see to drive at night.

Heck, I can't even wear glasses with those nifty self darkening Transitions lenses because they don't lighten up enough so I can see to drive at night.
Old 04-09-09, 09:02 AM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
People's night vision usually but not always degrades significantly as they age. 35% tint might work fine at night for some people but make it impossible for others to see to drive at night.

Heck, I can't even wear glasses with those nifty self darkening Transitions lenses because they don't lighten up enough so I can see to drive at night.
Besides,,, what fun is it to drive one of the BEST cars on the road, if others, (good looking chicks) can't see ya... LOL

I am surprised at the number of compliments directed my way since buying this LS a few months back. Wife just laughs.
Old 04-09-09, 10:37 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default who the????

[QUOTE=Budhah;4419349]Besides,,, what fun is it to drive one of the BEST cars on the road, if others, (good looking chicks) can't see ya... LOL ../QUOTE]

I'm already married to a hot chick, don't need anymore ...

For me, I got tint because I like love the semi-analine leather so much that I like to drive "natural" and get the FULL FEEL of the leather...

OH MY !!!

But for real, the tint was for my kids in the back. Didn't want those sucion cup things for the rear windows and the sunshade only works somewhat.
Old 04-09-09, 11:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i had 2% on my last gs400, and i have 14% on my current ls. where i live at there are some really nice places but sometimes you have to drive thorough some really not so nice places to get there. often times at night when driving though a not so nice place you will have to stop at a stop sign or traffic light, or wait for some kids to get the hell out of the freakin road, and often times there are people hanging out on the corners that will stare at you when you stop... i prefer not to have them see that i would be a easy car jacking target, especially when driving a somewhat flashy car... if they can't see me, then this decreases my chances of getting jacked!!! plus i like to stare at hot chicks out the window and i don't want them to see me stare...

Quick Reply: window tints?