Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

2003 745 or 04 Lexusls43o

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 06:01 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarshalWeb
Externally, I think the BMW is slightly better looking.
-MarshalWeb
Chris Bangle must love you very much. Did he pay you to say that...
Old 07-12-07, 11:50 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is only one thing I disagree with in this entire thread. The costly repair bills. Granted the LS is an awesome car that has infrequent if not nonexistant repairs. Buuut I just had a DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR go out on my LS430 UL and it was to the tune of $700 dollars to fix. That was absolutely ridiculous!!!! I couldnt beleive it, I was almost disappointed with Lexus for the $593 dollar part that was required to fix it. This is an 85 dollar part on any domestic car or Toyota. And before anyone thinks I got ripped off I did my research and called 4 Lexus dealerships to find out pricing on the part. Point is dont think you are completely immune to ridiculous repair bills just because it isnt European.
Old 07-12-07, 01:37 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badbronco8
There is only one thing I disagree with in this entire thread. The costly repair bills. Granted the LS is an awesome car that has infrequent if not nonexistant repairs. Buuut I just had a DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR go out on my LS430 UL and it was to the tune of $700 dollars to fix. That was absolutely ridiculous!!!! I couldnt beleive it, I was almost disappointed with Lexus for the $593 dollar part that was required to fix it. This is an 85 dollar part on any domestic car or Toyota. And before anyone thinks I got ripped off I did my research and called 4 Lexus dealerships to find out pricing on the part. Point is dont think you are completely immune to ridiculous repair bills just because it isnt European.
You are right!!My friend took his RX320 for oil change($65) and the dealer wanted to do the brake pads change for $650 and tune up for $350.The car has 44xxx miles and this will be the third tune up for it. The worst thing is that he let them do it.
This is how the dealer afford to give you free java, bagles and loaner car.
Old 07-13-07, 04:30 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

bb430,
I did not even do the work at the dealer and it was 700 dollars. The dealer wanted 1k to fix the door lock. Also they wanted 1,100 for the 60k service which i performed at 55k miles. I got it done for 300 dollars. I get all my work done at LEXAUTO in Miami. They are a very honest, knowledgeable,and reputable shop and they charge extremely fair for their time.
Old 08-16-07, 06:12 PM
DanceEagle
Driver School Candidate

What kinda opinion poll is this? Asking that question in a Lexus Forum? Amazing that the BMW got any votes.
Old 08-18-07, 05:52 PM
ThiZZicS
Driver School Candidate

04 ls430 allllll the wayy... great car plus has less maintenance problems compared to bmw...i love my ELLIS 430
Old 09-28-07, 08:38 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

this guys poll was over two years ago! LET THE POST DIE ALREADY!
Old 10-23-07, 07:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Old thread...the suspense...wha'd he get?
Last activity was 9/06...he must have jumped ship.
Old 10-31-07, 12:06 AM
irocn9
Driver School Candidate

i had an 02 745i as much as it was fun to drive it was a handful of problem i was taking it to bmw one month it had a lot of software problem and other thing that went wrong i don't think i would ever buy a bmw agian.
Old 05-26-08, 07:11 AM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an LS430 to go along with my LS400 that has been almost trouble free for many years, This is to replace a BMW that was nothing but headaches! The handling in BMW's is awesome, they have unique front suspension layouts that are more firmly tuned as well as firmer bushings in the rear too, this adds up to a lightly less refined ride but the responsiveness is second to none! I just can't live with all the BMW's problems. Anyone want a slightly used V-12 750IL?
Old 05-26-08, 08:02 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

well...if you are the kind that likes to drive a loaner car all the time then get the 745 cause....your car will by default will be at the dealer 2 weeks of the month every month.....plus GM trannies arent very good at being reliable!!!!
Old 05-27-08, 03:30 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I had both and here's my 2 cents...

Originally Posted by cmitch
What do you guys think on this one?
I cast my vote for the LS430 as better "ALL AROUND" car as luxury sedan, as well as something of a daily use car.

However, I have owned a 2001 "big 7" prior to this LS430, and I must say, I do miss it often as well. For starters, the BMW felt much more docile and defying of it's weight driving around in town as well as on Willow Springs Raceway where I occasionally go to drive my other contraptions. What I mean by this is BMW does feel so much more predictable when being tossed about. This is not to say the LS is slower, it is not. In actuality, given same tires, LS is faster. But the amount of work and general precision you get from a BMW, to post the same lap time, you'd have a relaxed time in the 745 than a LS. But, aside from this driver input and feel department, LS430 can match almost all performance specs to where differences are negligible.

LS430 offers a very long list of "useful" features. Things like shift-matic in very native and intuitive side shift lever with +/- is much better than awkward BMW paddle that needs a long list of programming parameters to figure out exactly how it will go in and out of it's gears. Both have very elaborate HVAC systems but Toyota systems work faster, and is smarter for all the areas that count. Even the seats get warmer and colder (yes LS430 can COOL your seat too) faster and more comfortably.

If you OPT for the "Li" version BMW, the rear seat would be MUCH more roomy than the LS, but in all reality I'm the guy in front with the wheel...but... I do miss the "WOW! IT'S SO ROOMY BACK HERE" comment I used to have in the BIG SEVEN.
Warning about the 745Li though... Don't throw anything you need while driving into the back seat. Jackets, drinks, etc.. Because that extra 4" in floor makes it far enough you need to pull over and get out of the car and open rear doors to get to it... Can't just reach back like in most 4 doors.

745Li's cabin is somehow just as silent in the front seats... however, in the rear seat area, there's much more noise, coming from rear suspnsion and drivetrain... Perhaps not as much insulation? Some like that, others prefer vault-dead silence of the LS back seats. (especially for folks planning a rear entertainment system... LS 430 is THE choice here)

For guys with DUB sized wheel fetish (20's), the BMW does fit larger wheels easier with more dynamic clearance (that is lack of need to roll, hammer etc to clear them in the wells at dropped heights) and suspension does not suffer much change in feel or comfort. That's the inherent goodness of the BMW, trailing arms and struts, done to perfection.
ON the LS430, going to lower profile tires makes the double wishbone suspension motions more apparent, and tracking on uneven roads are pronounced much more. And, dead silent cabin of the LS becomes more obviously compromised with tire noise than in the BMW which was noisier in there to begin with.

So those are some of the major Pro and Cons…that I would say worth mentioning.
Rest are a matter of personal tastes and both matchup well in every area if one feels and smells differently… visually, BMW has advantage of classier interior worthy of a $80K car. LS430, is opulent and loaded, but you still see traces of Camry and Corolla heritage in there if you look around. Namely more use of plastics where German competitors would trim with chrome or aluminum looking pieces.
I got over that part though, about the plastic… Since the sun-chasing AC vents and rain sensing wipers, headlights that look left and right, and a million other features that WORK reliably…where in the BMW I’d be worried to have because they stop working after a while. BMW isn't as terribly unreliable as most people claim... Just that they do have issues from time to time. Mostly small things that stop working that can be fixed with a day trip to the dealer. But that's a Eurpean car-life style. Go visit a service bay few times a year, talk to "zem" in German. Presitge? for some, yea...
745Li's don't blow up like the 1st and 2d gen 730's did... They just fail at all the places where they tried to be Mercedes or Toyota. But they sure know how to be on top of what BMW does do best. Also, just as BadBronco says above, LEXUS is expensive to repair (when things does fall apart or you break it yourself). In that sense, its no Corolla here.

LS430 = it just works... no compromise.
BMW = feels good, better in many areas but you do have to compromise.

Last edited by motohide; 05-27-08 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-30-08, 11:27 PM
LSorBS
Driver

I was recently faced with this choice as well (LS430 vs. 750Li vs. S600) and obviously I've made my choice. For down-right comfort, NOTHING remotly compared to the LS. The wood in the BMW was horrible and the seats were almost UNcomfortable. iDrive doesn't really bother me at all (esp. since you can actually USE it while moving). I never understood sports seating in an ultra-luxury sedan though... c'mon. As far as driving goes, the BMW is a little nicer, but as far as overall quality, comfort, and aesthetics, the Lexus wins by far.

I'd give the LS a 9.2/10 and the BMW a 7.8/10
Old 05-30-08, 11:29 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
Anyone want a slightly used V-12 750IL?
To go along with my V-12 325i
Old 06-24-08, 03:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think this thread has run its course, time to move on.