LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Got around to test driving a new LS 430 today....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 04:47 PM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got around to test driving a new LS 430 today....

Well first stop was the bimmer dealer, i just had to finally drive the 545i, that is one very nice car, but in a totally different league compared to the Lexus. So can't really compare the two. So i take out the LS and it rides pretty nice. Power is pretty decent as well. But all in all, it felt like I was drving my benz all over again, haha. So i'm kinda ruling out the LS as my next car, even though i still think it's hot. Even the outside looks just like my E430, in certain ways. BTW, how does this price sound he gave me on a lease:

$780/ month for 42 months
-- $2700 due at signing
-- 12K miles/yr.
Old 05-14-05, 05:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Little
Well first stop was the bimmer dealer, i just had to finally drive the 545i, that is one very nice car, but in a totally different league compared to the Lexus. So can't really compare the two. So i take out the LS and it rides pretty nice. Power is pretty decent as well. But all in all, it felt like I was drving my benz all over again, haha. So i'm kinda ruling out the LS as my next car, even though i still think it's hot. Even the outside looks just like my E430, in certain ways. BTW, how does this price sound he gave me on a lease:

-- $2700 due at signing
-- 12K miles/yr.
Personally, leasing a car wouldn't be the best way to go in my opinion. You are paying....about half of what the car is worth and not even owning it. Plus the 12,000/yr is going to be a hard way to go if you travel. I know that I would put that kind of mileage on it in a few months.
Old 05-15-05, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's on the ls430? if so, i don't think that's very very good price

of course we need to know what kind of ls430 you talking about, modern or all the way to ultra luxury
Old 05-15-05, 01:08 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
that's on the ls430? if so, i don't think that's very very good price

of course we need to know what kind of ls430 you talking about, modern or all the way to ultra luxury
Yea but why would you want to lease the thing anyway? I guess you could do that and when your lease is up, pay off the rest to buy it. Just a thought.
Old 05-16-05, 02:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Yea but why would you want to lease the thing anyway? I guess you could do that and when your lease is up, pay off the rest to buy it. Just a thought.
i will give you an example on my sc430. i am leasing the car now actually, using the multiple deposit plan. and i think i should be able to buy out the car after 3 yrs. if i do that after 3 yrs, overall, on this roughly 60k car, i pay about 2k of "interest" or "money factor" depends on how you put it. that's only 3% interest. you can't get that with normal finance

a lot of times it's very tricky getting a car
Old 05-16-05, 05:55 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You shoulda heard the first number he gave me, $870/ month for 36 months, i laughed at him right there. I told him straight out that's incredibly high. So he goes and talks with someone, comes back and then says, ok i can do it for $780/ month, hahahaha.

BTW, this was for a Navigaiton/Mark Levinson Model, I believe that is the first big option package. What are the Ultra Lux ones going for a month, now that one is sick.
Old 05-16-05, 09:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You shoulda heard the first number he gave me, $870/ month for 36 months, i laughed at him right there. I told him straight out that's incredibly high. So he goes and talks with someone, comes back and then says, ok i can do it for $780/ month, hahahaha.

BTW, this was for a Navigaiton/Mark Levinson Model, I believe that is the first big option package. What are the Ultra Lux ones going for a month, now that one is sick.
hahaa, so what was his excuse, he mixed up the 7 and the 8?

when i got my sc430 i got pretty much the same deal on the ultra luxury (everything fully loaded), and it was right at around 800 bucks a month. it was a killing deal, only if my wife likes the car
Old 05-16-05, 12:20 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that payment is for a modern OR ABOVE- take it. That's a good payment. Less than a modern it's too high.
Old 05-16-05, 02:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Do you plan on buying it after lease?
Old 05-17-05, 12:56 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can find better lease prices here:

http://fleetrates.com/index.htm;jses...h9c3v88?bhcp=1
Old 05-17-05, 07:58 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Thumbs up

no offense to anyone that has used them, but fleetrates.com is a joke. you only get that payment with an near-800 beacon and 10% cap reduction. I reduced the cap by asking the dealer for it, not paying cash for it. Anybody can pay 559 per month with that much cap reduction. Just wait till the delivery charges and acq. fees pile up.. whoa!

780 for 42 months with that little amount down is a good deal if it's a modern or above-period. Even better if it is through LFS and not some hack leasing company with a bunch of BS fees and "rules" attached to the contract.

Leasing is a great way to go IF and ONLY IF you know exactly what you are doing and you go through a respectable bank like LFS.
Old 05-17-05, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
Leasing is a great way to go IF and ONLY IF you know exactly what you are doing and you go through a respectable bank like LFS.
i agree with this. if you do your homework and do the right math, it's good

and i have had a lot of good stories with LFS
Old 05-17-05, 11:30 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-- $2700 due at signing
-- 12K miles/yr.
It's just my humble opinion but, to me, leasing is the industry's way of making higher-end products only seem affordable. Leasing a car would only truly be economical to the lessee if the car is used primarily for their business, thereby causing the lease payments to constitute a legitimate business expense that can be written off. $780 x 42 + $2700 = $35,460, and it's still not your car!
Old 05-17-05, 12:24 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
It's just my humble opinion but, to me, leasing is the industry's way of making higher-end products only seem affordable. Leasing a car would only truly be economical to the lessee if the car is used primarily for their business, thereby causing the lease payments to constitute a legitimate business expense that can be written off. $780 x 42 + $2700 = $35,460, and it's still not your car!
Nor would it be your car if you made the same monthly loan payments! That is a rediculous statement. Your math shows that 26500 was NOT paid at the end of the lease OR that you would have paid almost $1500 per month on a loan. Now you have the distinct option of giving the car back, or continue on to purchase it. Either way, you stand the chance of coming out ahead IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

The people that feel like paying 1300+ per month for a car should not be the only ones that get to drive a new LS430. For anyone to think otherwise is disgustingly snobbish and arrogant.

I will repeat, humbly, that if you do not know what you are doing, leasing is a bad idea.

Hence, by his logic, you don't know what you are doing.
Old 05-17-05, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i sorta agree with bigdlexus on the leasing thing. basically lease or loan, you need to know what you are doing or you are just going to get ripped off one way or the other. especially if you like to get new cars every couple of yrs, leasing is a perfect solution. there is no reason to get a loan for a car if you know you will be selling it in 3 yrs.

and in my case, i am leasing my car for 3 yrs and then i will buy it out, and like i already mentioned, i will end up ONLY paynig 2k extra for my sc430. try to get a loan for that rate, good luck.

on the other hand, if someone isn't smart, he can get into the dealership trying to get a loan on a ls430 and end up paying a lot of interest for the car

Quick Reply: Got around to test driving a new LS 430 today....