LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Spy Shots: ’07 Lexus LS Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05, 08:16 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spy Shots: ’07 Lexus LS Sedan

Dont get too excited but this is a start.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8787.html

These photos, taken just recently at Germany's famous Nürburgring racetrack, have caught a prototype Lexus LS sedan as it undergoes high-speed testing. At first glance the car appears to be a current production model, but looking closer one can note a modification to the hood on either side of the grille. Also note the large wheels, low-profile tires, and fender bulges front and rear to cover the extra-large tires.

All this indicates a future LS sedan with more performance than the current model. A look at the rear, however, shows rather small dual exhaust pipes and not two or even four giant pipes as would be likely in a turbo model or a real high-performance car. So what is this prototype? An educated guess would be a hybrid powerplant coupling a standard-size LS V-8 engine with Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive electric motors to give the LS improved performance while also improving fuel economy.
Attached Thumbnails -9689_kyzdnvsacwsag.jpg  
Old 06-27-05, 08:18 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

pic 2 for you
Attached Thumbnails -9690_amzigpngfyccm.jpg  
Old 06-27-05, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Repost Horta but I didn't notice the flared wheel arches, which mean the new LS will offer larger tires stock and give us more room to play with when its time to upgrade
Old 06-27-05, 12:05 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Repost Horta but I didn't notice the flared wheel arches, which mean the new LS will offer larger tires stock and give us more room to play with when its time to upgrade
Actually....I think that's a mule. Or that's what some guys in the other post said.
Old 06-27-05, 12:57 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

I sure hope it looks like that, cause then I will have NO urge to upgrade in '07.

Only a "Lexite" can see the differences between that and todays car.
Old 06-27-05, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
notice the bigger exhaust cut out in the back too. maybe there will be quad pipes later?

if that's really bigger flares i hope they make it look smoother

i like the smoother lines on the new hood
Old 06-27-05, 09:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks chopped!
Old 06-27-05, 09:35 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

I'm hoping that's a mule. Maybe they're testing out an engine cause I can see almost no difference with the current LS. I love the LS but it needs Benz S styling (current S not the new god awful one). It's supposed to be the flagship - so I want to see some panache, some lines to give it a classy, elegant, executive look. It just doesn't "wow" me at all. Let's hope these pics are just some mule pics testing out new exhaust, new engine.
Old 06-28-05, 08:55 AM
619brick
Driver School Candidate

I too believe that is mule. Looks like a current model with modifications. They were probably just doing some engine testing. From what sources say, the new model will be quite different in a lot of aspects, and this car is clearly not that different, and in no way resembles the sketches we've seen or what we've already heard about the highly anticipated sedan.
Old 06-28-05, 09:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Of course it's just a test mule. The next LS will follow the L-Finesse theme of the new GS & IS.
Old 06-28-05, 09:29 AM
Century
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 98LexusGS
I'm hoping that's a mule. Maybe they're testing out an engine cause I can see almost no difference with the current LS. I love the LS but it needs Benz S styling (current S not the new god awful one). It's supposed to be the flagship - so I want to see some panache, some lines to give it a classy, elegant, executive look. It just doesn't "wow" me at all. Let's hope these pics are just some mule pics testing out new exhaust, new engine.
I also hope its a mule..but if you think about it..the GS and IS look somewhat similar in style..Do you think the LS will have the same design concept as the other two??
Old 06-28-05, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Century
I also hope its a mule..but if you think about it..the GS and IS look somewhat similar in style..Do you think the LS will have the same design concept as the other two??
following the l-finesse i suppose they will look a bit similar
Old 06-29-05, 01:31 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
following the l-finesse i suppose they will look a bit similar
The only brothers worth looking at but Audi has some style too. I do think they are doing engine testing with the bigger wheels and a different hood to cram it under. Maybe the axles are longer or rims theirselfs are wider on the new style that's comming out and they had to put the flares on the current one so people get the wrong idea about it being a mule. And they probly modified the hood so they could fit something special underneath it lol. Just think about it this way, if you are testing out new parts for a new car, why test the new body where spys are taking pictures? Surely that is just a mule with either longer axles or wider rims and hopefully a bigger V8 that will be on the new LS.
Old 06-30-05, 08:43 PM
SPUDMTN
Rookie

Definitely a test mule. Interesting part though, is that the next-generation LS really is under there. If you look closely in the pictures, the new interior is indeed inside there. Notice the seats--front and back. There is a new head-restraint design in there, and further, check out the back view--you can see right up to the front dash, where you'll notice new swaths of wood (or rather, differently contoured).

Looks interesting. Another thing I know about mules is that the actual body shape is under that current-gen LS body--all the manufacturers do is slip on body panels from previous models. Pretty spiffy, eh?
Old 06-30-05, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Definitely a test mule. Interesting part though, is that the next-generation LS really is under there. If you look closely in the pictures, the new interior is indeed inside there. Notice the seats--front and back. There is a new head-restraint design in there, and further, check out the back view--you can see right up to the front dash, where you'll notice new swaths of wood (or rather, differently contoured).

Looks interesting. Another thing I know about mules is that the actual body shape is under that current-gen LS body--all the manufacturers do is slip on body panels from previous models. Pretty spiffy, eh?
man, you looked really close! i didn't notice that. now i see it i see that the headrest are indeed quite different

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: ’07 Lexus LS Sedan