Oil Change, Self Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 12:39 PM
Russ G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change, Self Service

Hi,
For the last 25 years I have typically have done my own oil changes. I find it more convenient to do it at work when I have some free time and prefer it to leaving my car at a dealership to "find a problem". I've had my '01 LS430 for a few months, and its time. The first one was my freebie for being "certified". I don't have a lift and am wondering what I will find under there. Is there a shield that I must remove? Anything else of note that I should be aware of?

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Russ
Old 07-02-05, 01:38 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

My humble advice would be to let them find a problem. Just because they find it does not mean you have to pay them to fix it. They also know the problem areas to look at for signs of this trouble. You will get a free loaner and a 10 dollar car wash out of the deal.

By the time you buy the oil and filter- then spend an hour doing it- you have lost money.

Otherwise- yes there is a panel to take off, and the screws can sometimes be tricky to get back in right.

Good luck-
Old 07-02-05, 06:25 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G
Hi,
For the last 25 years I have typically have done my own oil changes. I find it more convenient to do it at work when I have some free time and prefer it to leaving my car at a dealership to "find a problem". I've had my '01 LS430 for a few months, and its time. The first one was my freebie for being "certified". I don't have a lift and am wondering what I will find under there. Is there a shield that I must remove? Anything else of note that I should be aware of?

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Russ
It is a very easy oil change. The shield does have to come off. On my LS430 it seems the Lexus service techs made a cuts around the oil filter so all I need to do is remove one to two screws and pull the flaps down. I have easy access to the filter. This method may be used by several dealers for repeat customers.
Old 07-03-05, 10:20 PM
jflynn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
By the time you buy the oil and filter- then spend an hour doing it- you have lost money.
I take it you are not very handy with tools? I do things like oil changes and brake jobs myself. It's not so much the money, but rather convenience and wanting to know the job has been done right.

I can do oil changes and brake jobs cheaper than the dealer and I know it's done right. Furthermore, when you factor in the trvel time to and from the dealership, waiting for the car, etc I fiond it's faster to do the job in my own garage. I also can pick my own oil and brake pads since I don't always care for what the dealer uses.
Old 07-03-05, 11:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jflynn
I take it you are not very handy with tools? I do things like oil changes and brake jobs myself. It's not so much the money, but rather convenience and wanting to know the job has been done right.

I can do oil changes and brake jobs cheaper than the dealer and I know it's done right. Furthermore, when you factor in the trvel time to and from the dealership, waiting for the car, etc I fiond it's faster to do the job in my own garage. I also can pick my own oil and brake pads since I don't always care for what the dealer uses.
Correct..........
Old 07-05-05, 11:37 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil Change

I applaud you for taking the time to do your own oil change. Some people just don't like spending time under the engine working on their car. I'm NOT one of those people. It sounds like you're not either. I've got both an RX and LS and really like the ease of oil change in the LS. The RX is a pain due to location issues. The LS430 has a plastic panel under the car, but by removing a few screws you'll have access to the filter.

If you're looking to buy filters and oil, try Sams Club for a case of Mobile 1 Synthtec and Iron Toad for genuine Toyota oil & air filters. Prices are good and they should keep your car compliant with the warranty requirements.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-05, 11:50 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jflynn
I take it you are not very handy with tools? .
I thought a site for Lexus owners would draw people with a little more class.

I have way more tool savvy than you have manners. I have a job and tend to stay busy renovating my house.
Old 07-05-05, 01:41 PM
Russ G
Driver

You say tomato, I say tomato ..........

I believe that no harm was intended. Take a deep breath BigD

My interest in doing my own oil change is convenience. It is more convenient to do it myself at my own location. The skill required is minimal and I enjoy wiping 10-30 off my hands! I was interested in the filter location, pan drain plug location, and just how covered each item is. It sounds like it's not too difficult to get to the items involved.

Thank you.

Russ
Old 07-05-05, 01:46 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
I thought a site for Lexus owners would draw people with a little more class.

I have way more tool savvy than you have manners. I have a job and tend to stay busy renovating my house.
Must be HOT in Texas...
Old 07-05-05, 02:38 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Russ G
You say tomato, I say tomato ..........

I believe that no harm was intended. Take a deep breath BigD

My interest in doing my own oil change is convenience. It is more convenient to do it myself at my own location. The skill required is minimal and I enjoy wiping 10-30 off my hands! I was interested in the filter location, pan drain plug location, and just how covered each item is. It sounds like it's not too difficult to get to the items involved.

Thank you.

Russ
You are quite welcome. I would not judge anyone for working on their vehicle. I find it quite rewarding myself, but mainly on my 1974 Ford F-100 Explorer.

The difference is- you didn't ask if it was a rewarding and easy process that you enjoyed doing.

You mentioned you did not want the dealer to "find" a problem. I don't think this would happen- hence my suggestion.

Then, if others would take a few seconds to notice, I mentioned that with a few screws and the plastic shield, you would have unfettered access to the oil filter. Just like other posters after me.

That's it. If you want to do it- use my information about the screws and cover, if not, good luck with the dealer.

It's surprising this thread is still going.

Good luck to you-
Old 07-06-05, 01:43 AM
jflynn
Driver School Candidate

Geez, since when is calling someone "not very handy with tools" an insult?

I'm personally not very handy with, oh let me see, painting pictures or flying a helicopter or performing oral surgery, and if someone said I wasn't handy with those I'd gladly admit it and not feel insulted!

Anyhow, I taught myself how to work on cars back when money was tight, and these days I find it's much quicker and less of a hassle to just do the simple jobs myself. An oil change takes me less than 30 minutes which is a far cry better then driving to and from the dealership and waiting on them to do the job.

So you're building a house and have a job? Well, then maybe you should learn how to do stuff like this to save some time. And you just might discover it helps to relieve stress.

Although saving money is nice, it's really not about the money for me. I am self-employed and make more money than I care to share working maybe 60 hours a week, plus I'm married with a toddler, yet I still do oil changes and brake jobs in my own garage.
Old 07-06-05, 07:06 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

This is getting rediculous.

Please RTFP before replying.
Old 07-06-05, 09:48 AM
jflynn
Driver School Candidate

No need to curse.

http://tinyurl.com/9fefn
Old 07-06-05, 02:07 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's get back on topic gentlemen. If there are personal matters that need to be resolved, please do so through PMs or this thread will be closed.
Old 07-14-05, 08:11 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I thought a site for Lexus owners would draw people with a little more class."

look at the LS 400 forums, they have been taken over by the Trailer T. people. No class , bunch of Morons. How long before they leak into the LS 430 forums.

Anybody want to lower their LS, how about a wing, how about spinners. LOL

Quick Reply: Oil Change, Self Service