LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

switching to/from handsfree for private conversations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 12:57 PM
tarheel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question switching to/from handsfree for private conversations?

I need some help on this one...

I want to be able to switch from the Lexus speaker to the cell phone while driving and then switching back to the Lexus speaker after I have had a private conversation on my cell phone.
I have a Motorola v710 and I can switch from the lexus speaker to the cell phone by selecting "terminate blue tooth" from a menu item which is available only when an incoming call is in progress...

Here's the problem. I can't relink to bluetooth without cutting off the ignition and restarting the engine. When I try to relink or reconnect to the Lexus Hands free via blue tooth I get the message unable to find blue tooth device. I get this when I select reconnect to bluetooth in the same menu I mentioned above..

Here's what I suspect. the lexus only "hooks up" to bluetooth once when the key is turned either to ACC or the engine is started. Once that's done, it becomes inaccessible to a cell phone trying to relink....

The reason this is needed is to have a "private" conversation sometimes when a caller would prefer to speak privately to one of the passengers. Unlinking from the Hands free and using the cell phone independently solves this problem. However, what can I do then other than stop the car, turn off the ignition and then restart the engine.... Seems there oughta be a better way...

Any help will be appreciated

Bill
Old 08-21-05, 08:02 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must be your cell phone. I have the Sony T637 (Cingular)

I have the exact opposite problem- I CANNOT "disconnect" the BT connection once it links with the car- talking on the phone or not.

BUT- when I have been in the car for a few minutes and it has long past said "BT connection failed", I can turn on the BT in my phone and it will connect within about 20-30 seconds.

Try a friends phone that has BT to test it out.

Last edited by bigDlexus; 08-22-05 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-21-05, 05:27 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the V-710 and I believe you can turn the BT power on and off on the phone by going to the "Connection" location in "Settings" in the Main Menu. Open that up and it will Show "Bluetooth Link". Click on Select and you will be given a choice of Handsfree, Device History and Setup. Select "Setup" and it will give you a choice of turning BT power on or off. If you are hooked up to the car and turn the BT power off then you can talk through the phone.

When you want to go through the car again, turn the BT power back on. If it does not hook back up with the car automatically (if it does, it may take a few minutes) go to the Handsfree option above above and select "Hands Free" and it should hook back up to the car. It may do it on it's own, but I have been successful doing it this way.

By the way, since it is a pain in the a** going through all the menu screens, I put both the BT power option and the Handsfree option in my list of phone shortcuts and can now access them simply by hitting one of the four places on the ring around the "OK' button on the phone. With a couple of pushes, I can control the BT from the phone.

When I'm not in the car or using the BT headset, I keep the BT power off since I was told that the phone battery runs down much faster whent he BT power is on.

Good Luck!

Stan
Old 08-21-05, 08:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Yup, I do the same thing with my V551...turn off Bluetooth on the phone itself.