Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 10:58 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new LS owner with questions

guys,

i just purchased an 05 Black/Tan LS430 (Modern Luxury) and was just wondering:

1. is there a break in period when I should not 'rev' the engine? (i.e., I've heard that it's good not to maintain a certain speed, is this correct? but not sure if it's ok to keep changing the rpm?)

2. is it recommended to warm up the engine before driving it in the morning (or after parked for several hrs?)

3. how often should I change the oil (3K vs 5K miles)?

4. I am going to have the dealer install clear bra and tough guard for interior and exterior, did anyone ever have these done on your LS?

5. Lexus does the 1-time personalized setting change, what settings do you guys change from the factory-default setting?

6. any other precautions that I should take?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-05, 12:46 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

There is a break in period. Do not drive the car hard, do not drive it soft. Vary your RPMs.

There really isn't no need to warm the engine, that was kinda done away with a few years ago.

As for oil change, I do it whenever the car tells me to, or the Lexus dealer mails me about it.

Clear bra is smart. If tough guard is what I think it is (the never expire wax and crap) it's a waste of money.

I personally waiting a few months before changing my personlized settings. You should be given a list of the changes you can do.

The car doesn't drive like other sedans. It's a lot shorter, keep that in mind. Also, it's fricken fast.
Old 08-28-05, 11:18 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

congrats on your purchase. The only thing I changed in my C-best setting is have all four doors unlock when I press unlock on my remote. In your case, touching the handle with your smart key. Because if you have people riding with you, its so annoying to open your door, then unlock it for everyone else, or press the remote 2 or 3 times to get the other doors to unlock.
Old 08-28-05, 04:07 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

I totally agree with that last one. I also had the recirc changed to auto- when auto AC was pushed. I like to use everything automatic all the time.

So after all the pricing questions what kind of deal did you get?
Old 08-28-05, 11:03 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

thanks vraa for your input

Originally Posted by vraa
There is a break in period. Do not drive the car hard, do not drive it soft. Vary your RPMs.

There really isn't no need to warm the engine, that was kinda done away with a few years ago.

As for oil change, I do it whenever the car tells me to, or the Lexus dealer mails me about it.

Clear bra is smart. If tough guard is what I think it is (the never expire wax and crap) it's a waste of money.

I personally waiting a few months before changing my personlized settings. You should be given a list of the changes you can do.

The car doesn't drive like other sedans. It's a lot shorter, keep that in mind. Also, it's fricken fast.
Old 08-28-05, 11:04 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

thanks GRAND_LS4

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
congrats on your purchase. The only thing I changed in my C-best setting is have all four doors unlock when I press unlock on my remote. In your case, touching the handle with your smart key. Because if you have people riding with you, its so annoying to open your door, then unlock it for everyone else, or press the remote 2 or 3 times to get the other doors to unlock.
Old 08-28-05, 11:05 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

i got quite good deal finally...

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
I totally agree with that last one. I also had the recirc changed to auto- when auto AC was pushed. I like to use everything automatic all the time.

So after all the pricing questions what kind of deal did you get?
Old 08-29-05, 02:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on a great deal, have fun learning also about the cool interior features of the Modern Luxe LS...!
Old 08-29-05, 03:10 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by aerodragon
thanks vraa for your input
Anytime man!

Drive on!
Old 08-30-05, 06:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aerodragon
2. is it recommended to warm up the engine before driving it in the morning (or after parked for several hrs?)
You don't have to wait before driving off, but you should not rev the engine much or put it under a lot of load (just drive under light throttle) until it gets up to operating temperature. Engines experience almost 100% of their wear during the first few seconds after a cold start, and then to a lesser extent for the next minute or two while they are coming up to operating temperature. Taking it as easy as possible on them during these periods is advisable if you want to maximize engine life. Same partially true for automatic transmissions.
Old 08-30-05, 11:08 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

thanks I6turbo for the info.