LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

not happy with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 04:39 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs400
I would like to disagree to the comment made about a brand new LS430 being better than a brand new E430, let alone E500.
Older, first gen LS400 surely were better in quality and more trouble free than perhaps the 1990 year model mercedes.
But not anymore. 01 LX470 had more issues that I can imagine in any other brand. I ended up selling in in 6 months.
Lexus service these days, let's face it,has gone down the drain.
Mercedes service on the other hand has gone way up.
I couldn't disagree with you more. I owned a Mercedes E-430 for 5 years. The car spent months in the dealership having various problems repaired. The transmission failed at 24,000 miles. I traded it for a new 2005 Lexus LS-430 and the quality of the Lexus if far better than the Mercedes. It has all the features standard that are options on the Mercedes. It has a more comfortable interior, nicer appointments, and drives much better. The Lexus is everything the Mercedes SHOULD have been. J.D. Powers also agrees. According to the 2005 Vehicle Dependibility Study the Lexus LS-430 is ranked #! (and has been #1 for the last 11 years). Mercedes came in 28th out of 38 cars ranked.
Old 09-14-05, 07:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you serious? Out of alllllll Mercs you talk about E's as being reliable? Is this a joke? Do you know the main reason Mercedes rep has fallen over the edge is BECAUSE of the E-class? Do you know many Mercedes had to buy back because they couldnt fix problems with the navigation systems?

My friend has an '04 E500, and he has so many problems with that car that for 2 months, everytime i visit him, he's driving the C-class loaner.
Old 09-14-05, 08:06 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who is buying the car you or your dad??? sounds like you want the ls so why not wait.. im also a young LS driver.. im sure u will love the car
Old 09-14-05, 10:18 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

im buying the car, although the buying process is heavily influenced by dad. Thats because I used the money from the sale of my ES300 as a downpayment, and the ES300 was paid for by him. So, I somehow, technically, still 'owe' him that money...

i just saw 2 modded LS 430 (2001-2003 models) on 42nd street, between 5th and 6th ave in the span of 10 minutes. They both looked amazing.

One had 20" chrome rims ...the other had silver rims... looked like a sign from 'above' saying that I should be more patient.

In any case, I told the dealer that they have until this weekend before I start writing to the GM and everybody else to complain.
Also told them to just give me a out of state in transit permit first, free of charge, so that at least I can drive the car around.
Old 09-14-05, 11:28 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can totally feel your pain, I got my car from Longo in SoCal. In the past 6 years, my family and I have purchased about 6 cars there. Being one of the largerest Toyota/Lexus dealerships you would think their service would be off the hook....

But after buying my LS from them....I can say that I will probably never go there again. I had some issues with my car and called there service department...and get nothing but crap from them. I told them about the problems I have had with the dash board and the little bumps that have formed (probably from the heat out in San Bern.). They told me that this doesn't happend and he started to question me. Yes, I AM YOUNG but NOT STUPID. When there is a problem I KNOW its a problem.

Also, on the Benzo topic....the only benz that don't have problems are the high end ones. My mom has an SL500 and no issues what so ever. My unc has his CL55 and again no issues. The SLK I had before was a POS.

I also know a designer that works for Benz, and he also tells me that he wont buy a Benz unless its an AMG. That has to tell you something about there quality.
Old 09-15-05, 05:07 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like any other automotive brand, experiences with dealerships will vary. I don't think you can use a broad brush on this topic. I use Nalley Lexus in Atlanta and have nothing but positives to say about their service. They are responsive, efficienct and a pleasure to deal with. I have dealt with them for years and have had nothing but positive experiences.

I'll give you an example: For some reason, the drivers seat in my '04 LS was not comfortable. The right seat bolster rubbed my leg and was quite uncomfortable when driving, particularly long distances. I'm sure it had something to do with a combination of a subtlety in the seat cushion foam and how I sit. In any event, they sent the car to a special shop several times where they attepted to cut foam out of the cushion and ultimately changed the foam completely in the bolster. When this didn't work, they swapped my seat for one from a new dealership executive car with the same interior and seats (perforated leather). For some reason, this seat is much better for me. Through all of this, they gave me lexus loaner (RX330) and never once told me that it was not a problem and that I should live with it. It did not cost me a dime!

I had one of the early '04's and had my transmission and fuel pump replaced as part of recalls and had my Nav. screen die and have to be replaced. All of these issues have been dealt with professionally and efficiently.

Every car has problems. The question is how the company and the dealership deal with them. That is what builds brand loyalty.
Old 09-15-05, 07:54 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjm
I couldn't disagree with you more. I owned a Mercedes E-430 for 5 years. The car spent months in the dealership having various problems repaired. The transmission failed at 24,000 miles. I traded it for a new 2005 Lexus LS-430 and the quality of the Lexus if far better than the Mercedes. It has all the features standard that are options on the Mercedes. It has a more comfortable interior, nicer appointments, and drives much better. The Lexus is everything the Mercedes SHOULD have been. J.D. Powers also agrees. According to the 2005 Vehicle Dependibility Study the Lexus LS-430 is ranked #! (and has been #1 for the last 11 years). Mercedes came in 28th out of 38 cars ranked.

On some points you are absolutely correct, standard features, nice appointments. The more comfortable interior is a matter of opinion. I cannot seem to get comfortable in the Lexus seat no matter how I set the seats and they are a little too soft for my liking. Also why did they forget the memory function on the front passenger seat? On the point of driving much better, I would agree if you were to say "rides much better" but the car is still somewhat numb and is still "floaty" but that too is a matter of personal preference.

I might also add the build quality---quality of materials in the Lexus is somewhat lacking. I own both marques. The sheet metal on the Lexus is much thinner, the plastic on the dash is very plasticy, the paint is extremely soft as is the glass, the switch gear is the same as a Toyota (windshield wiper stalk , turn signal, etc.), and the paint matching on the plastic exterior panels is marginal at best. This is not to say that, while MB has some serious electronic problems that makes the quality less than acceptable, they are better--- but the Lexus is far from perfect. I have yet to find "The Perfect Automobile"

Last edited by lkirchner; 09-15-05 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 09-15-05, 01:41 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Just called the dealer ...and they said: NEXT WEDNESDAY ! and that is the conservative estimate.
I can't believe it.

Apparently they just sent out the registration documents today.

Im just so mad that I got nothing to say, except that I'm looking at how I can get some more freebies such as car cover and winter tires for free from the deaership.

They should really do something to make up for this delay.
Old 09-15-05, 01:44 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timoc42
Just called the dealer ...and they said: NEXT WEDNESDAY ! and that is the conservative estimate.
I can't believe it.

Apparently they just sent out the registration documents today.

Im just so mad that I got nothing to say, except that I'm looking at how I can get some more freebies such as car cover and winter tires for free from the deaership.

They should really do something to make up for this delay.
If they are like my dealer you will receive a well written letter----BIG DEAL.
Old 09-15-05, 01:54 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

a dealership that has been so 'behind schedule' so far shows a lack of professional courtesy to begin with. I doubt they will entertain any freebies at all !
for a car that expensive one would've expected better service at the dealers... once again my point.. lexus service isnt what it used to be...
Old 09-15-05, 03:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I haven't read all the responses...that said, this is my suggestion:

Tell the dealer of your displeasure from this buying experince. Have them provide a loaner while your car is going through the transfer. This should not pose a problem and you have a L to drive at least. Longo had my car for 13 days...I didn't mind driving their new RX330 during that time.

Hang-in there.
Old 09-16-05, 10:42 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

well, sent a complaint letter by email to the manager of my salesman.

He called back within 2 hours and said that he'll send the car to me by flatbed, free of charge. Expected delivery time : the end of next week.

Lets hope he does what he promises to do.