not happy with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 08:58 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not happy with dealer

Hey guys,

as some of you might know, I got a LS430 about 2 weeks back. The dealer is Lexus of Norwood, which is supposed to be a elite lexus dealer as well as a highly rated JD dealer.

Last monday, on labor day, I went up from NYC to Boston to sign the papers for the car.
They told me that they will get an agency, Plateman, to get new license plates and register the
car in New York.

At that point, they also told me that it should take no more than a week.

So, today is tuesday... and I called up the dealership. And guess what ... they are not ready yet!! I am so pissed !!! I already signed the papers and paid the money... as well as added the car to my insurance.
And I still have no car to drive!!
They still requested me to fax in some additional paperwork, like a utility bill showing my proof of address. Why did they ask for it now !! not last monday !!

My dad is telling me to just back out of the order and get another car (he wants me to get a E500).
But the car is a good deal, and I dont want to give it up ... anyone have any ideas on how I can speed up the process ? Or does anyone suggest just cancelling the deal ? (even though they already cashed my check and all that stuff ? )

Tim
Old 09-13-05, 10:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Why cant you get temp plates? is that what your talking about?

Explain to us, since NY's laws might be different on this matter.

Here in FL, you buy a car, they give you a temp tag for one month (you drive out of the dealership with the car), and then you get your metal plates in the mail along with your title.
Old 09-13-05, 10:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They should be more timely with their efforts!!!

Have you let them know your displeasure? Maybe telling them nicely, and implying that you might back out of the deal, will give them the hint to get moving!
Old 09-13-05, 10:31 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I bought the car in State of MA, they do not issue temp plates there.
Old 09-14-05, 12:40 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

if u get the E class just make sure it's 4matic for some additional dollars.
either way good luck !
Old 09-14-05, 02:29 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timoc42
Hey guys,

as some of you might know, I got a LS430 about 2 weeks back. The dealer is Lexus of Norwood, which is supposed to be a elite lexus dealer as well as a highly rated JD dealer.

Last monday, on labor day, I went up from NYC to Boston to sign the papers for the car.
They told me that they will get an agency, Plateman, to get new license plates and register the
car in New York.

At that point, they also told me that it should take no more than a week.

So, today is tuesday... and I called up the dealership. And guess what ... they are not ready yet!! I am so pissed !!! I already signed the papers and paid the money... as well as added the car to my insurance.
And I still have no car to drive!!
They still requested me to fax in some additional paperwork, like a utility bill showing my proof of address. Why did they ask for it now !! not last monday !!

My dad is telling me to just back out of the order and get another car (he wants me to get a E500).
But the car is a good deal, and I dont want to give it up ... anyone have any ideas on how I can speed up the process ? Or does anyone suggest just cancelling the deal ? (even though they already cashed my check and all that stuff ? )

Tim
Why should you give up? You own the car and you got an excellent deal. However, you're purchasing a car out-of-state in a State that doesn't issue temporary tags; thus you're dealing with the State's bureaucracy, not the dealer's. Put aside "who should have told whom what first", fax a utility bill (or whatever it takes) to prove your address, and go get your car. You're going to own this thing for years, right? So, what's a week's delay? If you want to back-out of the deal, then just back-out. Why do you need anyone else to tell you how to spend your money?
Old 09-14-05, 06:27 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to back out of the deal given the information that you presented. What is one week relative to the time that you will own (or lease) the car. You seem to be happy with the car and the price, so what's the big deal?

Having lived in Massachusetts for many years (I left in 1994) I can tell you that dealing with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and state agencies in general is a difficult and frustrating process. They are slow, unresponsive and inefficient. I doubt that the issue is due to the dealership.
Old 09-14-05, 06:48 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

well ... I love the car (and the price) but I just can't stand waiting around for 2 weeks, car-less.

and I just hate the fact that they are incompetent in handling the transaction. Not caring whether dealing with the goverment or not, because they should have told me upfront, what they needed, and the expected time frame.
Old 09-14-05, 07:21 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

If you can't (or don't want to ) wait, then get out of the deal.

I can tell you that there's no way the dealership could have predicted the time that the Commonwealth would take to process the request. If you want to blame them, that's obviously up to you.

In any event, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-14-05, 08:01 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I love my LS430 but I would equally love an E500 sport with E55's 5 spoke 18" wheels
In platinum blue, silver, or gray

I love this look!!
Attached Thumbnails not happy with dealer-e55amg1.jpg  
Old 09-14-05, 10:45 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timoc42
well ... I love the car (and the price) but I just can't stand waiting around for 2 weeks, car-less.

and I just hate the fact that they are incompetent in handling the transaction. Not caring whether dealing with the goverment or not, because they should have told me upfront, what they needed, and the expected time frame.
I shouldn't have to remind you (but I will) that quality-wise and value-wise your LS430 outshines an MB E-Class any day of the week and three times on Sundays, but it's your choice. I also second the sentiments expressed regarding the slowness of the Massachusetts DMV. I'm guessing that you're young and haven't had that much experience dealing with government entities. I will tell you in such circumstances that whatever you can do (proactively) to help move things along counts a lot. I agree that this can be frustrating; however, (not to sound too philosophical here) compared to what people in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are now facing there is definitely a light at the end of your tunnel. So, fax two or three documents that prove that you're who you are and live where you live, make an ally out of someone at the dealership and at the DMV, ask what else is needed to get/keep things moving, and get your car tagged. Otherwise, cash-out and go get your car from someplace else. Simple!
Old 09-14-05, 11:26 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to disagree to the comment made about a brand new LS430 being better than a brand new E430, let alone E500.
Older, first gen LS400 surely were better in quality and more trouble free than perhaps the 1990 year model mercedes.
But not anymore. 01 LX470 had more issues that I can imagine in any other brand. I ended up selling in in 6 months.
Lexus service these days, let's face it,has gone down the drain.
Mercedes service on the other hand has gone way up.
If someone would like to give it a test, try visiting any lexus service center in NJ, and then go to RayCatena Mercedes. The difference is night and day. Mercedes is more curteous, better service, and definitely better follow up.
Lexus "was" good in the 90's. no more.
Why I know this, because I own a benz as well and can compare the two brands.
By all means, if you even slightly feel that you need to get out of the deal, do so.
Either ls or E will prove to be great cars.
good luck.
Old 09-14-05, 12:01 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexs400
I would like to disagree to the comment made about a brand new LS430 being better than a brand new E430, let alone E500.
Older, first gen LS400 surely were better in quality and more trouble free than perhaps the 1990 year model mercedes.
But not anymore. 01 LX470 had more issues that I can imagine in any other brand. I ended up selling in in 6 months.
Lexus service these days, let's face it,has gone down the drain.
Mercedes service on the other hand has gone way up.
If someone would like to give it a test, try visiting any lexus service center in NJ, and then go to RayCatena Mercedes. The difference is night and day. Mercedes is more curteous, better service, and definitely better follow up.
Lexus "was" good in the 90's. no more.
Why I know this, because I own a benz as well and can compare the two brands.
By all means, if you even slightly feel that you need to get out of the deal, do so.
Either ls or E will prove to be great cars.
good luck.
If I'm reading your comment correctly, you're basing your opinion on an `01 LX470. We've been discussing the LS, and I'm just going by the JD Powers ratings for the LS430.

As far as your dealership experience is concerned, I cannot comment. My experience happens to be the opposite - I currently own 2, and have purchased a total of 5 Lexus cars, from the same dealership because of the quality of the service. Just to give you an example: last year I took my `04 SC430 to the dealer just to have them check it before a long road trip - I was driving to Mass. to take care of my dying mother and I did not know how long I would be away. When I got my vehicle from the service staff there was a card addressed to me expressing kind sentiments from every member of the staff at the dealership.

Doesn't RayCatena also have a Lexus dealership? I thought I saw an ad in the NY Times for that Lexus dealership. If that's the case, I would imagine that the quality of service there would be the same as their Mercedes Benz location, yes?
Old 09-14-05, 01:09 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

i realize that we were talking about the LS.
i was giving lx470 as an example as it is lexus' flagship vehicle costing 70K brand new.
and no the lexus service dept of raycatena can not compete when the benz service dept.
Old 09-14-05, 03:31 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
If I'm reading your comment correctly, you're basing your opinion on an `01 LX470. We've been discussing the LS, and I'm just going by the JD Powers ratings for the LS430.

As far as your dealership experience is concerned, I cannot comment. My experience happens to be the opposite - I currently own 2, and have purchased a total of 5 Lexus cars, from the same dealership because of the quality of the service. Just to give you an example: last year I took my `04 SC430 to the dealer just to have them check it before a long road trip - I was driving to Mass. to take care of my dying mother and I did not know how long I would be away. When I got my vehicle from the service staff there was a card addressed to me expressing kind sentiments from every member of the staff at the dealership.

Doesn't RayCatena also have a Lexus dealership? I thought I saw an ad in the NY Times for that Lexus dealership. If that's the case, I would imagine that the quality of service there would be the same as their Mercedes Benz location, yes?
First of all my condolences. My mother is also dying and it is perhaps one of the real traumas in life; my sympathies to you.

I think the dealer experience is not one where you can throw a blanket over them; ie generalize.

I had an 04 SC430 and still do have an LS430. Based on my experience with the SC 430, I ended up selling it with 1,750 miles on the car. From a reliabilty and service experience it was a nightmare. The dealer is Lexus of Sacramento, CA and their level of service is by far the worse that I have ever experienced. My experience with the LS is no problem with the car but the service is equally poor and careless. On the other hand I have 3 Mercedes that are my daily drivers (only drive one at a time) and the service that I now receive at Mercedes of Sacramento is the best that I have ever received. You will note that I say now because prior to that it was owned by the Von Housen group who was tied neck and neck with Lexus (5th in a 3 man race). It is all a matter of how high the priority for service is placed by the dealership. It is obvious that mine has all of his eggs in the sales basket. As soon as I have an opportunity to see the new S Class in person I will be joining ex Lexus owner's club because of my experiences.

Last edited by lkirchner; 09-14-05 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Correction

Quick Reply: not happy with dealer