LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05 | 06:26 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Default Reliability

I picked up the consumer reports new car magazine today, and it had some interesting info. They love our LS 430, but apparently the 04 model year is somewhat more problematic than the other 430 models.

I wonder (as my 01 LS430 has had it's share of minor issues, but nothing major) if the 04 model year is really problematic, or if this is simply a result of CR's poor study design. By this I mean that they are sampling only their yearly subscribers and they only get about a 10% response rate from these people. Just interesting. If any 04 model users have had problems, I would be interested to know.

Fred
Old 10-29-05 | 11:36 AM
BMcD430
Driver

14,000 miles and no problems so far. Did the article say what areas were problems? I was just commenting to a co-worker how my '03 MB E500 had been in the shop three times by the time it had the same mileage as above.

Bruce
Old 10-30-05 | 06:10 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Again, take this all with a grain of salt. CR doesn't really do an even remotely scientific assessment of reliability. However their survey results listed 2004 transmissions as problems, and gave only average reliability to fuel, AC, Power equipment.

It is probably due to small numbers being surveyed. Interesting because this one year seems to stand out so much.
Old 10-30-05 | 11:12 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesel11
Again, take this all with a grain of salt. CR doesn't really do an even remotely scientific assessment of reliability. However their survey results listed 2004 transmissions as problems, and gave only average reliability to fuel, AC, Power equipment.

It is probably due to small numbers being surveyed. Interesting because this one year seems to stand out so much.
I think '04 is the year when they had the transmission/fuel pump recall, isn't it? If the people affected by the recall were disproportionately represented in the sample, that might have done it.

I still think the LS430 is the most reliable vehicle out there, not that I'm biased or anything.
Old 10-30-05 | 04:12 PM
pjardieu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel11
I picked up the consumer reports new car magazine today, and it had some interesting info. They love our LS 430, but apparently the 04 model year is somewhat more problematic than the other 430 models.

I wonder (as my 01 LS430 has had it's share of minor issues, but nothing major) if the 04 model year is really problematic, or if this is simply a result of CR's poor study design. By this I mean that they are sampling only their yearly subscribers and they only get about a 10% response rate from these people. Just interesting. If any 04 model users have had problems, I would be interested to know.

Fred

My 2002 LS430 was the BEST vehicle I have ever driven. I got it used from a non-Luxus dealer, but was stupid enough to trade it in for a new 2005 LS430 last December. What a mistake!

I have taken the new Lex into the dealer over 6 times in the last 4 months for suspension system problems and have now had 5 wheel height sensors replaced, all under warranty. When these baby's go out, you can't drive the car without risking damage to it and to you as well. Had it towed in on two occasions (using Lexus Roadside Emergency service which showed up both times well within the 60 minute period quoted). Other problems with the 2005 include seat cooling system that just doesn't cut it (but this probably shouldn't be considered a problem with MY car if it is a bad design by the seat cooling system manufacturer).

I am starting to think that the Lexus reliability is slipping, based upon the same report you referred to and my own personal experiences. I also have to say that the Lexus organization hasn't scored very high with me over the last few months either, as their staff hasn't provided me with good or accurate information on most occasions.
Old 10-31-05 | 01:53 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile This issue well........

I posted on this a while back and was told i was crazy. Before the transmission issue of the 2004 LS430 came up,. I questioned reliability because i noticed a slip in the year 2001. By just asking other lexus owners locally (Va Beach, Norfolk area) they would tell me if they owned a 1994-2000 LS that when they got the newer model 2001and up, that they had more problems. They said it meant more trips to the dealer. I don't want to cause a stir because i still own a Lexus so you know i like it. I just hope Lexus Ceo's and Vice presidents can come on this real buyers site and hear some of the concerns we have. I am not one who wants to go back to Mercedes. I will say that Mercedes has tradition going back over 75 years or more,Jaguar has it's tradition along with BMW. Lexus is working on there's with us the first 15 year buyers, we are the ones to pass down talk of these cars to our kids. Now to have talk of reliability is something i feel at this point can only hurt lexus. Even if Consumer Reports doesn't have all the owners possible commenting on the issues with the LS430, it still is read as a great source for car info. Most readers of these reports aren't car junkies like me who know better, so it will hurt. All i know is Lexus is slippping in my opinion and there prices are rising. I have had over 7 different issues with my 2001 LS 430. Since my last issue, know i have my steering wheel still making the noise they fixed under warranty, and my back window doesn't function right ( right rear window). Please Lexus be the real car company you usta be, ask us regular guys our opinons more about the improvements that can be made. I was in love when i purchased my first lexus in 1997 a ES 300. Know im thinking about getting a separation for a Chrysler 300. I know someones gonna say go head who cares, before you say it wait, I don't want to, i just want that same reliability i had with my other 3 lexus' pre-2001. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! LEXUS IS SLIPPING. I know people think im crazy, but i predict if were not harder on the car company ourselves, Benz and BMW won't be as nice. So how about some tuff love from those of us that really like Lexus. I am staying for know but if these issues continue ill say Lexus reliability is a thing or was a thing of the past. Surviving on past hype that no longer exist. Just like all those people who still belive when you get rich you should buy a Benz, thats so the 80's. I feel this will get worse and predict it will if we dont make a bigger issue of the problems we have had with the main offices of the company. In other words go to the suit wearing, brooks brothers wearing cats, who are afraid of there own shadows. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 10-31-05 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-31-05 | 02:13 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Our lesson for the day boys and girls....

First lets start with a question. What makes companies that usta care about customers stop caring about service and other issues with the cars they sell? Got the answer? Give up? Heres a hint it rhymes with need. Yeah thats it greed!!!!! We arent who car companies care about. The companies love our money. If they lose me as a customer, so what a suckers born every minute, like i was told here in Va Beach by a dealer owner hear. I can't do business with you anymore if you buy from another dealer. How's that for customer service. I still purchsed from another dealer ( Lexus dealer) and have no hard feelings toward the Va Beach dealer, but learned my money is there friend, not me and i advise us all to consider that business is just that, business! They could care less about us saying anything about reliability. Its like rolling dice to them some times 7, sometimes 11. GOD IS STILL GOOD ALL THE TIME!
Old 10-31-05 | 05:20 AM
Diesel11
Driver

I do think Lexus reliability is sliding, however, I think the real issue is dealership problems. Personally I have to use a dealership 2 hrs drive from home, as the closer one has been a real pain in the ***.

My wife has a 2003 ML350 and has never had any problems. All I'm saying is that reliability is pretty hard to judge, but when your car has problems (even minor ones) it's the dealership experience that determines whether this is going to be a true frustaration or not.

Lexus is still far ahead of the other luxury brands in terms of quality, but success can be a bad thing for a company sometimes. Hopefully Lexus can remedy their issues.

My personal 2001 LS430 problems (owned for 1+ years):
1. brake pump replacement.
2. Rear tail-lamp failure (3 times)
3. Sun roof leak
4. squeaking drive belt replaced.

Fred
Old 10-31-05 | 10:29 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Based on my experience, the 2004 has been problematic particularly the ones produced early in the manufacturing cycle. Off the top of my head (without going through repair records) I have had my transmission replaced, my fuel pump replaced twice, my touch screen replaced, a part that controls the air pressure warning replaced and both side view mirrors replaced. For a top of the line luxury vehicle, i would say that this list would constitute a reliability issue.

On the other hand my dealer handled all of the issues promptly and professionally and always tried to minimize inconveniencing me. All I know is that I had an MB E430 and an Audi A6 (4.2) and had nothing but problems with them. At least Lexus has the parts in stock and when they fix something, it corrects the problem. Every car will have some problems. It's how they are dealt with that builds brand loyalty.

I would still get a Lexus when my LS comes off lease next year.
Old 11-01-05 | 07:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

You mentioned "side view mirrors". I posted elsewhere about my blindspot problem. Well, interestingly enough, that mirror went beserk later in the day after I posted. Seems that every time I start the engine, the mirror moves "outward" 1 or 2 millimeters. And about every 9th or 10th time it's just enough power to "evert" the mirror. I took it back to the dealer yesterday and the service manager admitted seeing others like this. So they ordered a new mirror. But last week he swore that my alignment was fine blah blah blah. Is that what was wrong with YOUR mirror(s)?

I agree that my 2004 has had "issues". Hopefully they will all be ironed out before the warranty runs out.
Old 11-01-05 | 10:37 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daryll40
You mentioned "side view mirrors". I posted elsewhere about my blindspot problem. Well, interestingly enough, that mirror went beserk later in the day after I posted. Seems that every time I start the engine, the mirror moves "outward" 1 or 2 millimeters. And about every 9th or 10th time it's just enough power to "evert" the mirror. I took it back to the dealer yesterday and the service manager admitted seeing others like this. So they ordered a new mirror. But last week he swore that my alignment was fine blah blah blah. Is that what was wrong with YOUR mirror(s)?

I agree that my 2004 has had "issues". Hopefully they will all be ironed out before the warranty runs out.
daryll40 - The problem with my side view mirrors was that after awhile they gave me a problem adjusting the position. For some reason, they wouldn't go in far enough when my wife would be driving so she couldn't adjust them properly. She sits much closer to the steering wheel than I do. It was like they were hitting a stop and simply bounced off of it. It also appeared to me that before they were replaced they wouldn't hold the memory position I set. They seemed to be slightly, but noticeably off. Since I had both replaced, I've had no issue.
Old 11-01-05 | 10:43 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I also drive with the seat pretty far up and, as you said, could not see behind me. I was convinced by the dealer that this was normal so I bought a $2 convex mirror which works well. But based on YOUR comment as well as the fact that my mirror now "everts", it's obvious that something is really wrong. Anyway, they are getting me a new mirror. I hope I have no more issues. I like my LS but seem to be visiting the dealer almost as often as I did with my Mercedes.
Old 11-01-05 | 12:11 PM
Diesel11
Driver

I think part of the problem with reliability in luxury cars is that there are so many electronics and computers to potentially fail and result in a trip to the dealer. If your dealer is close by and is reasonable then this is not a big problem.

I love my LS430, but sometimes I wish it was in the shop a little less.\

Overall reliability for Lexus is still reasonable, but my next car will likely not be a Lexus as the nearest reasonable dealer to me is 2 hours away. I might have to look at Mercedes. Then again I might not lol

No car is fault free.

Fred
Old 11-01-05 | 12:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default Yes but.....

Yes, but the biggest selling feature of the LS430 is that is (allegedly) the most trouble-free car out there.
Old 11-01-05 | 01:13 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Originally Posted by daryll40
Yes, but the biggest selling feature of the LS430 is that is (allegedly) the most trouble-free car out there.
Interesting...

I wonder what other LS430 owner's think the biggest selling feature is. For me (in order) it is:
1. Love the style/look of it.
2. Love the size and safety features (2 young kids)
3. Reliability but more important Durability. I am hoping it will last to 200,000 miles (Currently 69,900)
4. Love a V8

Quick Reply: Reliability